I'm just curious. How many posters have ANY Div I

I'll start with me first. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. I'm sure that this doesn't come as a shock to the masses on this board. I go thru spurts with my posts. It's usually is based on how I'm feeling that particular day. The majority, if not all, of my information comes from the internet, newspaper, that damn addictive ESPN and it's scroll, idiots at work and from some of our fellow posters. Surprised? Just a gut feeling but I'm sure you're not. I'm just an armchair QB wannabe who lobs on the couch agonizing over the misfortunes of my favorite team, the Buffalo Bills. I'm ALWAYS trying to devise and conjure up any conceivable way to help to improve MY team. I'm sooo sick and tired of the last several years. I tried to see the good of what this organization and it's administers were doing. I even disagreed at times, matter of fact, I was even right once in awhile! By the way, did you ever play pin the tail on the donkey? I won that once or twice too! Even when I don't enter a post I still read this board faithfully. I'm not intending to offend anyone but I do see alot of posters like me on this board. So before we all burn Marv, Jauron and the first born of our newly aquired "depth" FAs, can we let this thing play out alittle bit before we write this season off? Thanks, I appreciate your time to read this much too honest confession.

PS. For the ones who REALLY do have the experience that I asked for in the title of this post, could you be nice enough to give your professional input? Us diehards really need to have some accurate perspective. Thanks again everybody and I hope that WE all have a very satisfying season.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero .....but you know, this is a forum where we unwashed masses can say whatever we want, argue, debate, disagree. Personally, I am okay with the "Is Marv Awake's" of the world as long as they state their opinion, defend maybe once or twice in a thread and then leave it at that. Its the 18 posts per thread saying the same thing over and over that seems inane...but I guess that's what the ignore button is for....

Its fun to analyze and give opinions but as Marv says ..."If the front office and coaching staff listen to the fans, they'll end up sitting with them."

None yet, but I am in a course at my school (Pitt) where I've worked with the coaching staff and have been able to pick their brains involving plays in the NFL and NCAA. God-willing, I should get a grad spot with an SEC school either this summer or next spring.

I'm also attending a conference with the Steelers and Panthers at the end of the month.

That said, it's amazing to see the difference in film footage on television and from a coach's perspective.

I have an extensive coaching record in Madden, NCAA Football, and Front Office Football.

In Division I, I have built perennial contenders with Toledo, Boise State, Virginia, Auburn, and Idaho. Won a couple titles with Toledo, Auburn, and Virginia

Most recently however I've been in the NFL, where I have built a significant dynasty with the Green Bay Packers. Playoffs just about every year, only a couple seasons at or below 500. More Super Bowl rings than you can wear. I even performed the unimaginable, drafted a QB as Mr Insignificant who ended up winning me a couple Super Bowls including a 19-0 season.

:doh:

The Buffalo Bills are undefeated in the last 4 years on my watch. JP Losman has developed into one of the top QBs in all of football, shattering Dan Marino's single season record for touchdown passes. He has lead the team to 4 consecutive Super Bowl Victories. Mike Meathead Mularkey is solidifying himself a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

:doh:

LOL! These were GREAT responses. Some of you are hilarious. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us are HUGE Bills' fans and that all we want is a competitive product on the field week in, week out and at the end of the season, to be left with some hope, pride and a sense of accomplishment. I don't think that's too much to ask for, I think we deserve it. As far as constructive critizism, opinions and disagreements go that's what also makes this an interesting place to visit. The moves, or in some cases the lack of, I think the speculation can be sometimes too pessimistic. If somebody like TKOSpiked could be kind enough to share some helpful insights, like what coaches see on game film versus what national tv broadcasts, I think that that could do alot of us some good. By the way, congratulations and the best of fortune for you in your education and future endeavors.

PS. Chalkie Gerzowski and apuszczalowski, how in the world did Ralph missed putting you two on the coaching staff and as a administrator is beyond me! He MUST be a senile old man. Your two responses were hysterical! Thanks. I have one last question (plea!) for /dev/null. Can you ask your cousin at the airport just what the hell is wrong with this team?!!! Thanks again. Peace.

LOL! These were GREAT responses. Some of you are hilarious. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us are HUGE Bills' fans and that all we want is a competitive product on the field week in, week out and at the end of the season, to be left with some hope, pride and a sense of accomplishment. I don't think that's too much to ask for, I think we deserve it. As far as constructive critizism, opinions and disagreements go that's what also makes this an interesting place to visit. The moves, or in some cases the lack of, I think the speculation can be sometimes too pessimistic. If somebody like TKOSpiked could be kind enough to share some helpful insights, like what coaches see on game film versus what national tv broadcasts, I think that that could do alot of us some good. By the way, congratulations and the best of fortune for you in your education and future endeavors.

PS. Chalkie Gerzowski and apuszczalowski, how in the world did Ralph missed putting you two on the coaching staff and as a administrator is beyond me! He MUST be a senile old man. Your two responses were hysterical! Thanks. I have one last question (plea!) for /dev/null. Can you ask your cousin at the airport just what the hell is wrong with this team?!!! Thanks again. Peace.

635484[/snapback]

Well Tipster, thanks much for the well-wishes! I can give you one that jumps right out at me - the Pitt / ND game from last year. Essentially it was the Patriots' O vs the Dolphins' old D. Throughout the game, Charlie Weis and his staff kept Pitt reeling with screens and draws, that we had not a clue how to defend against. Or so I thought until I met with these guys. I can't say entirely for the NFL, but for college the following were obvious to me:

1) Preparation - These guys have awesome technology at their disposal. With that tech, we were able to dissect the game from 8 or so different angles, focusing on everything from the play itself, to how the refs were situated, to what hand signals were being called out.

The main facet of this prep was the labeling of plays - before each video we knew (based on the various abbreviations) what formation ND started out with, any formation shifts/motions that were performed and their final set formation before the snap. We also knew how many times they called a play out of said formation, based not only on that game, but three games prior to that game (since it was ND's first game, we looked at the AFC Divisional, Championship and Superbowl - which, let me say was sweet!).

Which may lead one to ask, if you have all that data, how the heck do you let the same play go on over and over? Well, this part coincides with the Bills, so you guys'll love this:

2) In-Game Adjustments - DC's like our former DC Gray and Pitt's current DC Rhoads enjoy "being in the trenches" with their players. As a result, they're on the field and cannot see offenses to the level that you can in the booth, as in the booth you see things much like you see coach-cam video - with a heck of a lot more detail. As a result, there are at least 6 or 7 voices chattering over the headsets, giving him an idea of tendencies, formations and situational play calling, which the DC then has to interpret on the fly and call a play. While I can see the morale boost this would be to your players, having that many voices at once in your head while a game is going on has to be a bit daunting. Coupled with a Defensive Minded HC that tunes in and out of that system like Wannstedt (or Jauron in our case) that's got to be even worse.

Finally, 3) TV vs Coach Cam: I think this is the biggest thing, which I've alluded to in both 1 and 2. For a great idea of the difference between TV and Coaches' views of plays, I'd refer to Rod Marinelli's PC on the Lions' website, which I now see in hindsight as very astute. To put it simply (as he did), "the film doesn't lie". Sure, we complain about Josh Reed's drops or Gandy being out of position (particularly in that NE game with the Sack of Doom), but to see that Gandy actually had his man blocked and Anderson stumbled in his read of blocking or Reed dropped it not because of a bad throw but because he a DB made a very sophisticated bump right before he caught it is amazing. It's one thing to make an excuse with tv footage - but when you look at the overhead and sideline coach cams you see who jumped offside, who missed a block, who indicated that it was a run or pass and who doesn't break out of their routes quick enough.

For an example that also pertains to us, as some would like him drafted by the Bills, we looked at Spencer from Pitt and his play at guard. When coaches say someone graded out as the best player on the line I understand what they mean now - as there are 2-3 (or tons more in the NFL) assistants that go through every snap the player is in and grade them based on those factors. As I'm learning all of this myself, it is changing how I view players - I am trying not to rely solely on people just saying "Josh Reed has terrible skills at WR" I want to see the plays he's in, in particular that TD he got vs NE when he ran around like 5 or 6 people.

Sorry for the long wind and lack of humor, but feel free to ask anything else! Hope I helped!

You sure did! Thanks, that's EXACTLY the kind of insight I was looking for when I started this post. You may have created alot of relief for some good, hard working, loyal fans who this team means the world to them. Keep up the good work TKOSpiked.

Geez, looks like I'm one of the more experienced of the bunch.

My sole coaching experience was 1 season of volunteer coaching HS kickers & punters.

My involvement basically entailed my standing around playing w/ myself for about an hour & 50 minutes, then about 10 minutes having about 6 kids vying for my attention trying to do 3 different things (KOs, punting & PK).