If the Bills draft a QB at #8...

Ramius

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we going to give him 8 games before declaring him a bust like you did with Losman, or does he get the benefit of the doubt and get 9?

632311[/snapback]

Since everyone seems to think it takes a year or two for a rookie QB to develop, wouldn't drafting a QB rather than signing a free agent indicate MORE faith in JP by the brain trust?

Are we going to give him 8 games before declaring him a bust like Losman, or does he get the benefit of the doubt and get 9?

632311[/snapback]

If the Bills do anything dramatic in FA or the draft at the QB position, thy will effectively be dooming the new QB to the same fate as JP. We all (well at least MOST of us) know it's tough to know exactly what we have in JP, and that his play was hampered by poor coaching, OL and defense.

We need to make DRAMATIC improvements in the OL (that includes, TE and fullback, BTW) and D this off season. Any high draft pick or big $ FA signing that doesn't address the surrounding cast will likely result in failure by the next QB...and leave many of the same lists of reasons/excuses.

Picking Cutler, Leinart or Young spends the $ (and eats a high draft pick) that we NEED to use to fix the surrounding cast. Same with FA.

IMO, all of the offensive picks (draft and FA) should revolve around helping JP. Take away the reasons/excuses and let's take a look at what we got here. If it turns out that JP doesn't have it, at least those pieces are fixed for the next QB (either through FA or draft....or both).

We have many positions we KNOW we have to fix and plenty of cap $ this year to do most of it. Get THAT done NOW! If it turns out we need to fix the QB position, we can take care of that one pieve next year.

If the Bills do anything dramatic in FA or the draft at the QB position, thy will effectively be dooming the new QB to the same fate as JP.  We all (well at least MOST of us) know it's tough to know exactly what we have in JP, and that his play was hampered by poor coaching, OL and defense.

We need to make DRAMATIC improvements in the OL (that includes, TE and fullback, BTW) and D this off season.  Any high draft pick or big $ FA signing that doesn't address the surrounding cast will likely result in failure by the next QB...and leave many of the same lists of reasons/excuses. 

Picking Cutler, Leinart or Young spends the $ (and eats a high draft pick) that we NEED to use to fix the surrounding cast.  Same with FA. 

IMO, all of the offensive picks (draft and FA) should revolve around helping JP.  Take away the reasons/excuses and let's take a look at what we got here.  If it turns out that JP doesn't have it, at least those pieces are fixed for the next QB (either through FA or draft....or both).

We have many positions we KNOW we have to fix and plenty of cap $ this year to do most of it.  Get THAT done NOW!  If it turns out we need to fix the QB position, we can take care of that one pieve next year.

632329[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind that, but the problem is that the QB doesn't sit on top of the system. A lot of the performance of the other players on offense is dependant on the QB's performance.

The other problem is that fixing the QB position isn't that easy. If JP sucks this year what do we do next year? Sign a free agent or draft a rookie to start? Even worse, what if JP gets injured again? In my mind, QB is too important not to have options.

I wouldn't mind that, but the problem is that the QB doesn't sit on top of the system.  A lot of the performance of the other players on offense is dependant on the QB's performance. 

The other problem is that fixing the QB position isn't that easy.  If JP sucks this year what do we do next year?  Sign a free agent or draft a rookie to start?  Even worse, what if JP gets injured again?  In my mind, QB is too important not to have options.

632352[/snapback]

Fixing the QB position is easy. Just ask Miami...and Detroit...and..wait (what am I arguing?)

Seriously, fixing the QB position when the rest of your team is solid, isn't that hard. It can be done through FA and the draft.

As for the QB influencing the performance of the other players...there is, certainly, some truth to that. But, when you have a young/inexperienced QB you do what you MUST to make him comfortable. Pittsburgh did it exactly the right way with Ben.

Fixing the QB position is easy.  Just ask Miami...and Detroit...and..wait (what am I arguing?)

Seriously, fixing the QB position when the rest of your team is solid, isn't that hard.  It can be done through FA and the draft.

As for the QB influencing the performance of the other players...there is, certainly, some truth to that.  But, when you have a young/inexperienced QB you do what you MUST to make him comfortable.  Pittsburgh did it exactly the right way with Ben.

632361[/snapback]

agreed, make the sunday then add the cherry

Fixing the QB position is easy.  Just ask Miami...and Detroit...and..wait (what am I arguing?)

Seriously, fixing the QB position when the rest of your team is solid, isn't that hard.  It can be done through FA and the draft.

As for the QB influencing the performance of the other players...there is, certainly, some truth to that.  But, when you have a young/inexperienced QB you do what you MUST to make him comfortable.  Pittsburgh did it exactly the right way with Ben.

632361[/snapback]

Dean i completely agree with you. This thread was to make fun of everyone hoping/wanting the Bills to draft a QB at #8, becaue "they've heard of him" We have much bigger holes to fill.

Dean i completely agree with you. This thread was to make fun of everyone hoping/wanting the Bills to draft a QB at #8, becaue "they've heard of him" We have much bigger holes to fill.

632376[/snapback]

I know you do, Raimus. I just can't believe the fascination people have with "other" QBs.

632361[/snapback]

I'm not a Steelers fan, but I'm pretty sure that they were bad the year before they drafted him and for the couple of games his first year before he started. Even when he has been injured they have looked average.

I would argue Big Ben proves that a QB can make the rest of the team better. Do you think Losman could have taken the Steelers to the Superbowl last year?

Of course, I'm definitely NOT arguing that Ben would have taken the Bills to the Superbowl, I'm not THAT crazy :doh:

I'm not a Steelers fan, but I'm pretty sure that they were bad the year before they drafted him and for the couple of games his first year before he started.  Even when he has been injured they have looked average.

I would argue Big Ben proves that a QB can make the rest of the team better.  Do you think Losman could have taken the Steelers to the Superbowl last year? 

Of course, I'm definitely NOT arguing that Ben would have taken the Bills to the Superbowl, I'm not THAT crazy  :doh:

632386[/snapback]

Did you watch the Super Bowl? Ben really took charge of that game..no?

IMO, all of the offensive picks (draft and FA) should revolve around helping JP.  Take away the reasons/excuses and let's take a look at what we got here.  If it turns out that JP doesn't have it, at least those pieces are fixed for the next QB (either through FA or draft....or both).

We have many positions we KNOW we have to fix and plenty of cap $ this year to do most of it.  Get THAT done NOW!  If it turns out we need to fix the QB position, we can take care of that one pieve next year.

632329[/snapback]

Great point, Dean. You can pretty much say that Detroit gave Harrington the tools and enough chances. Sure, Charles Rogers has been injury-prone, etc. but they did draft top receivers and added free agents like Az-Hakim, plus a good RB in K.Jones. He just didn't pan out for them.

I don't think JP has had as much of a chance yet. Give him a better O-line, a solid set of 3 receivers and a reliable TE and see what he does.

Immediate results are unrealistic expectations, though. He's going to have a new head coach, offensive coordinator and QB coach, plus a new TE and possibly new starting wideout to acclimate to. If he wins the starting job in training camp but then doesn't show muc by th eend of the year, then you could say he MIGHT NOT be the answer.

Fair enough.  But I did say "take to the Superbowl," not win the Superbowl  :doh:

632404[/snapback]

Oh, I understand. It just shows they have all the other pieces of that puzzle in place. Because of that they could make the judgement that Maddox wasn't the answer. So they inserted Ben and he made a difference...but, NOT by being a star. But, by playing very well within the system. And, even when he didn't play well, they had the team to compensate.

Had he played for the Bills, I'm sure we'd (at least many of us would) be calling for his head now.