Completely uinderwhelmed by the New Bills

Dr. K

I'm generally one who gives the management the benefit of the doubt on personnel decisions, but let's just say the moves so far this off-season are not inspiring much confidence in me.

I can't see how cutting Campbell, getting rid of Josh Reed and probably losing Moulds, replacing them with a stone-hands tight end who caught what, 19 passes last season? and a receiver who was "at the bottom of the Cleveland Browns depth chart" are going to turn this team around.

The Triplett signing I have nothing to say about. It at least makes some sense.

Maybe they'll have a great draft, but even then, it sure feels like a 4-12 season is coming up this year.

Well, it has been a whole 36 hours.

625799[/snapback]

Well, at least posters are consistent. 8 starts was enough for most people to judge JP a bust, so why should Marv get any mroe than a day and a half of free agency?

DING! Ham and cheese is done.

I'm generally one who gives the management the benefit of the doubt on personnel decisions,  but let's just say the moves so far this off-season are not inspiring much confidence in me.

I can't see how cutting Campbell, getting rid of Josh Reed and probably losing Moulds, replacing them with a stone-hands tight end who caught what, 19 passes last season? and a receiver who was "at the bottom of the Cleveland Browns depth chart" are going to turn this team around.

The Triplett signing I have nothing to say about.  It at least makes some sense.

Maybe they'll have a great draft, but even then, it sure feels like a 4-12 season is coming up this year.

625789[/snapback]

This IS uncharacteristic of you, Doc. It's a bit early to pass judgement as FA is a day old and the draft has yet to happen. My question is:

Did we upgrade or at least stay even swapping (swapping Campbell and Adams for Royal and Triplett) for less money?

I assume these are not yet the "New Bills". Hang in there.

I couldn't disagree more. I think what Marv is doing is attempting to build a team that will play well for years. Sure, he could go out and sign big name free agents. But its been proven time and time again that, that doesn't mean success. Would you rather we sign TO? Usually big name "in demand" players alos ome with built in egos and attitudes. And who needs that?

We all know Marv doesn't like rookies. And I couldn't agree more. Rookies are a crap shoot at best. Some work out, some don't. And of those that do, most take at least a few years to realize their potential. So, its a risky business to build your team around draft picks alone. So what's the other option, sign veteran, well'known free agents. Guys that are on the downside of their career, that want to win now and have all the attitude in the world. Maybe you get lucky and they decide to play together, but get toom any "me" guys together and it often ends in trouble.

So, what's the smart way. Exactly what Marv seems to be doing. Signing young guys that have already cut their teeth in the NFl, but aren't super stars, yet. They have many more years left in the tank and lots of upside. If you get the right kind of guys and put them together, you get a solid team that plays competitively for years, ala the Patriots.

So, for now, I'm liking the signings. But we'll just have to wait until about November to see how its all really shaping up.

This IS uncharacteristic of you, Doc.  It's a bit early to pass judgement as FA is a day old and the draft has yet to happen.  My question is:

Did we upgrade or at least stay even swapping (swapping Campbell and Adams for Royal and Triplett) for less money?

I assume these are not yet the "New Bills".  Hang in there.

625813[/snapback]

Just grumpy today, I guess.

At least i'm having a better day than my hero Claude Allen got indicted. <_< How could Pres Bush's domestic policy adviser, former Jesse Helms spokesman, a fundamentalist Christian earning $160,000 a year, be a shoplifter? I blame the liberal media.

I have nothing to say 

625789[/snapback]

Seems to about cover it. <_<

The first few days of FA are always the same. Some teams overpay (Damien Woody?) and everyone says the Bills are asleep at the switch. Give 'em time.

perhaps the biggest lie created and perpetuated in the last 20 years

625823[/snapback]

YOu must not know me very well. I was being sarcastic.

Allen's arrest is the chickens coming home to roost on one of the biggest opportunists in North Carolina politics in the last 20 years.

I problbly ought to keep my politics off this board. Sorry.

YOu must not know me very well.  I was being sarcastic.

Allen's arrest is the chickens coming home to roost on one of the biggest opportunists in North Carolina politics in the last 20 years. 

I problbly ought to keep my politics off this board.  Sorry.

625830[/snapback]

That's ok. My comment was more in general, to a line that I've heard repeated for years. I agree this is definitely not a place for politics and definitely something I would never talk about here. I certainly would not have debated the point. It was really just a brief point in passing. It is nice to see that I'm not the only person alive that doesn't buy into it.

Just grumpy today, I guess. 

At least i'm having a better day than my hero Claude Allen got indicted.  <_<  How could Pres Bush's domestic policy adviser, former Jesse Helms spokesman, a fundamentalist Christian earning $160,000 a year, be a shoplifter?  I blame the liberal media.

625819[/snapback]

Actually, since he's black and you're a liberal you should go with the "racial profiling" defense.

I'm generally one who gives the management the benefit of the doubt on personnel decisions,  but let's just say the moves so far this off-season are not inspiring much confidence in me.

The Triplett signing I have nothing to say about.  It at least makes some sense.

625789[/snapback]

I applaud your couragous post - too bad you can't have this kind of opinion and not get skinned by the rose colored glass wearing sheep of TBD. I certainly agree with you analysis. This team is no where near playoff ready and will take at least two good off-seasons to get there...Hopefully by May, we can call this off-season a good one...thus far, I am not so sure...

I applaud your couragous post - too bad you can't have this kind of opinion and not get skinned by the rose colored glass wearing sheep of TBD.  I certainly agree with you analysis.  This team is no where near playoff ready and will take at least two good off-seasons to get there...Hopefully by May, we can call this off-season a good one...thus far, I am not so sure...

625924[/snapback]

Too bad we can't go 48-hours into FA before we deem the off season a bust. <_<

I couldn't disagree more.  I think what Marv is doing is attempting to build a team that will play well for years.  Sure, he could go out and sign big name free agents.  But its been proven time and time again that, that doesn't mean success.  Would you rather we sign TO?  Usually big name "in demand" players alos  ome with built in egos and attitudes.  And who needs that? 

We all know Marv doesn't like rookies.  And I couldn't agree more.  Rookies are a crap shoot at best.  Some work out, some don't.  And of those that do, most take at least a few years to realize their potential.  So, its a risky business to build your team around draft picks alone.  So what's the other option, sign veteran, well'known free agents.  Guys that are on the downside of their career, that want to win now and have all the attitude in the world.  Maybe you get lucky and they decide to play together, but get toom any "me" guys together and it often ends in trouble.

So, what's the smart way.  Exactly what Marv seems to be doing.  Signing young guys that have already cut their teeth in the NFl, but aren't super stars, yet.  They have many more years left in the tank and lots of upside.  If you get the right kind of guys and put them together, you get a solid team that plays competitively for years, ala the Patriots. 

So, for now, I'm liking the signings.  But we'll just have to wait until about November to see how its all really shaping up.

625814[/snapback]

Does the name Daniel Snyder come to mind anyone?!?