robert royal ?

haus

Seems like a character guy marv wants from what i saw on the skins message board. but... the general consensus there was he was getting a ton of money for a sub par tight end. funniest thing i saw was the guy who said i hope he doesent drop his first pay check. doesent mean hes not a good blocking tight end for us though, but alot of money for one who cant catch a football.

After seing the beast of a man and the force Verno Davis is on the video here, i must say im dissappointed that we probably wont be going after him now. Could we still draft him?

Seems like a character guy marv wants from what i saw on the skins message board. but... the general consensus there was he was getting a ton of money for a sub par tight end. funniest thing i saw was the guy who said i hope he doesent drop his first pay check. doesent mean hes not a good blocking tight end for us though, but alot of money for one who cant catch a football.       

After seing the beast of a man and the force Verno Davis is on the video here, i must say im dissappointed that we probably wont be going after him now. Could we still draft him?

625113[/snapback]

I'd say that Davis may still be a remote possibility in the draft...depends on who else we sign in free agency. Let's not forget all the cust made after training camp too!!! Marv and Jauron will put there stamp on this team....hopefully it's not a Fat Elvis stamp!

625113[/snapback]

i think royal is a good TE that definitely helps us in the run game, and we have everett for the pass game. i also think royal will be good on the goal line as far as run blocking is concerned. i dont think he will be starting, lets face it, we need a veteran TE regardless if we draft one or not. Look at our roster, nuefeld gives us nothing. you have euhus coming off injuries and we dont even know how he can play, and even if everett is fine injury wise, he is basically a rookie. This just gives us some insurrance. i know people complain about the money, but IMO, if we wanted him, and thats what we needed to pay to get him here, than fine. I dont think this impacts whether we draft vernon davis or not. davis is an impact player that can do thinks that no TE on our roster can do. You have to play free agency as if there were no draft, because you dont know who you are going to draft, so naturally you cant ignore a need in free agency if you have one.

It would seem quite doubtful this team would be interested in Davis. Given a depth chart with openings for 3 TEs you have Royal whom the current regime obviously likes well enough to give a bonus to, Everett who was highly repsected last year and is unproven in terms of whether he will make it but also in terms of giving up on him so with his bonus he stays.

The you have Euhus entering his third year with the Bills after having a fiarly good opening year until he got a bad injury and last year saw him disappoint but again give his 4th round pick and the fact he was coming back from an ACL tear which costs good athlete's a season and a half but they can come back, it would seem dumb to give up on him as well.

The roster at TE already will probably necessitate a cut of a long-time Bills as reserve Neufeld better convince folks he is worth keepin as an H-back or he is odd man out at TE.

The idea of using our #8 (or maybe even having to trade up to get him( on Davis and passing on getting the help we need at DT or S from the draft just seems totally unlikely and wrong headed for a Bills team looking to win.

It would seem quite doubtful this team would be interested in Davis.  Given a depth chart with openings for 3 TEs you have Royal whom the current regime obviously likes well enough to give a bonus to, Everett who was highly repsected last year and is unproven in terms of whether he will make it but also in terms of giving up on him so with his bonus he stays.

The you have Euhus entering his third year with the Bills after having a fiarly good opening year until he got a bad injury and last year saw him disappoint but again give his 4th round pick and the fact he was coming back from an ACL tear which costs good athlete's a season and a half but they can come back, it would seem dumb to give up on him as well.

The roster at TE already will probably necessitate a cut of a long-time Bills as reserve Neufeld better convince folks he is worth keepin as an H-back or he is odd man out at TE.

The idea of using our #8 (or maybe even having to trade up to get him( on Davis and passing on getting the help we need at DT or S from the draft just seems totally unlikely and wrong headed for a Bills team looking to win.

625211[/snapback]

oh christ, f-ing butch rolle, anybody????? marv is not averse to using 2 tight ends.....we have no idea how everett is doing in rehab, euhus is a fourth rounder who had only showed potential before being hurt.....etc......signing royal i believe is half the equation....if everett, or euhus brings an every down threat as a pass catcher, this team is done at te, otherwise, davis is a distinct possibilty. it all depends on how the team feels those guys are progressing in pt.

Seriously? If anyone should be worried, it's Euhus. With the return of Kevin Everett, Euhus is the third TE at best. Problem is, the third TE has to be able to contribute on special teams, and Euhus hasn't shown any special teams skills. He'll be competing with Neufeld for that third TE spot, and Neufeld started on every special teams unit last year. I think this move spells more trouble for Euhus than Neufeld.

All i know is that the 'Skins fans i work with are laughing at me this morning. They could not be happier to be rid of this guy. Forget the dropsies for a minute....they were going into detail how badly he got smoked in the Seattle playoff game as a blocker. I hope these guys are wrong.

I wondered if getting a blocking TE in FA spells the end for Shelton.  Do the Bills go to the HBack instead of a FB?

626756[/snapback]

If they do, that really spells trouble for Euhus as Neufeld is seen as more of an h-back type player.

I wondered if getting a blocking TE in FA spells the end for Shelton.  Do the Bills go to the HBack instead of a FB?

626756[/snapback]

Seems like a reasonable assumption. Per Clumpy's #:

Shelton: $950,000 cap hit with $0 dead cap if cut in 2006

Euhus: $492,167 cap hit with $107,167 dead cap if cut in 2006

TOTAL $1,442,167 cap hit with $107,167 dead cap

Royal: probable $1-$1.5 million cap hit in '06

Use one player to fill two rolls at the same budget. Makes sense if Royal is as good a blocker as Marv says he is, which will be answered in training camp.

That is a good point about Royal possibly playing an H-Back role. Also, let's not forget about the offense that Fairchild ran in St Louis for a clue about what this signing could mean.

If the Bills had serious considerations about drafting Davis, I do not think that the signing of Royal will impact that decision in the slightest, since the two players would essentially play two different positions with Royal representing a 6th blocker in most situations and Davis representing an extra WR. The decision about whether or not to explore Davis will tell us more about what the new regime thinks about the prognosis of Everett, as that is the position that Davis would conceivably be upgrading.

That is a good point about Royal possibly playing an H-Back role. Also, let's not forget about the offense that Fairchild ran in St Louis for a clue about what this signing could mean.

If the Bills had serious considerations about drafting Davis, I do not think that the signing of Royal will impact that decision in the slightest, since the two players would essentially play two different positions with Royal representing a 6th blocker in most situations and Davis representing an extra WR. The decision about whether or not to explore Davis will tell us more about what the new regime thinks about the prognosis of Everett, as that is the position that Davis would conceivably be upgrading.

626789[/snapback]

Thank you for bringing sense to this thread. :(