Vote for Bills' New Whipping Boy

Dr. K

Who will be the Bills' new whipping boy?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Bills' new whipping boy?

• Nate Clements
    • Benny Anderson
    • J. P. Losman
    • Kelly Holcomb
    • Mike Gandy
    • Troy Vincent
    • Roscoe Parrish
    • Jeff Posey
    • Willis McGahee
    • Coy Wire
    • Other

With the loss or potential loss of Josh Reed, Eric Moulds, Mike Williams, Sam Adams (not to mention Mike Mularkey and Tom Donohoe) the current Bills roster lacks a certified Whipping Boy. Reading the posts over the last few weeks reveals that we are not lacking in candidates, but I figure we ought to get this thing settled as soon as possible so the fans can start lobbying for this player to be cut or drawn and quartered or otherwise eviscerated.

I've suggested a few names above, though I can't say that this is an exhaustive list, as the search for scapegoats brings out the most creative impulses in us as fan. Who can say who might turn up as the man to hate in '06? One suggested predictor: whoever's image was posted at the top of the board last year is a prime candidate for this year's whipping boy. It worked for Bledsoe three years ago, and for Travis Henry the year after that. By this indicator, the smart persecutor will select Willis McGahee.

I realize that Coy Wire has already fulfilled this function so that he is not technically "new" (see criterion 2 below) but since he's been on the whipping boy bench for some time he now has a chance to rise up the depth chart.

Criteria:

1.) Must be a starter, more or less.

2.) Must not have been a major whipping boy (i.e. the focus of at least as much scapegoating as Mike Williams or Josh Reed) in the past

3.) Must be capable of bearing the heat of all the frustration in the lives of every Bills fan on this board.

4.) Quarterback scores should be reduced by 1/3 because of the natural whipping boy advantage conferred by anyone playing that position.

I suppose I could have included adminisrators (certainly T.D. took the heat off a lot of players in the last couple of seasons) so there is always a space available (and by early indications, some inclination) to name Marv or Dick Jauron to the scapegoat role. But in my humble opinion, a proper scapegoat needs to be a player.

Have at it!

I should have read your criteria first before making my choice of Roscoe P. I took whipping boy to mean who would be unfairly ragged on by some folks on TSW and actually of the list you provided I judged everyone of them as having been unfairly or incorrectly ragged upon already by folks on TSW.

I think Roscoe will do a fine job as a Bill this year, but it does not matter because even if he scores 15 TDs next season there will be whiners here saying he should be cut because he did produce a TD/game average.

In general I think our selection/need of a whipping boy says more about us than it does about the player.

I should have read your criteria first before making my choice of Roscoe P.  I took whipping boy to mean who would be unfairly ragged on by some folks on TSW and actually of the list you provided I judged everyone of them as having been unfairly or incorrectly ragged upon already by folks on TSW.

I think Roscoe will do a fine job as a Bill this year, but it does not matter because even if he scores 15 TDs next season there will be whiners here saying he should be cut because he did produce a TD/game average.

In general I think our selection/need of a whipping boy says more about us than it does about the player.

622080[/snapback]

Uh, Pyrite...that was exactly the point of my poll. A whipping boy IS someone who is unfairly ragged on. That's what we do here. Sometimes it seems that's ALL we do here.

I should have read your criteria first before making my choice of Roscoe P.  I took whipping boy to mean who would be unfairly ragged on by some folks on TSW and actually of the list you provided I judged everyone of them as having been unfairly or incorrectly ragged upon already by folks on TSW.

622080[/snapback]

I agree with you on roscoe. He gets ragged on because he's small, and because TD took him in the 2nd round last year. Its funny how a lot of posters hate him for being drafted, like it was his fault or something.

Another write-in candidate

Marv's back. there is talk we need help at tight end.  I am thinking the return of Lonnie Johnson.  Nobody played the role at TSW better and since he has been away a while I think he can count as new.

622176[/snapback]

Brilliant idea. Lonnie was, after all, the prototypical tight end whipping boy. The guy had it all.

Ralph Wilson. Bills need new dynamic ownership that will end the need for "Whipping Boy" posts.

622195[/snapback]

Don't worry, Bills will get a new dynamic ownership that will end Buffalo Bills Football and start L.A Bills Football when Ralph passes on. And as most posters on this board believe, he so old everyone will get their wish and he'll be gone vewry soon (cause he's so old and senile)

Then we can all ask who the new whipping boy for the L.A. Bills can be.

Maybe they will let the Buffalo fans use a cool name like the Buffalo Bills of Los Angelos, like MLB let the Angels do (stupid thing ever in pro sports)