Favorite independent or obscure movie

Dante

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spielberg

I'm just trying to make my way through this crazy world. My genius is often a burden to me. I see with an eye so clear that it makes God feel embarrassed. Also, I think fuzzy little animals are very cute. Art is pain.

The Boondock Saints may be mainstream now but a few years ago you had to import it to buy it on dvd. Great movie that became popular by word of mouth and little publicity.

46867[/snapback]

True. I had to order it on the Internet from a Canadian wholesaler.

One of my faves.

Y tu Mama Tambien (loosely translated: "And Your Mama Too".)

Good coming of age film about two Mexican teens who travel with a thirtyish woman who has a secret...she's beautiful, and they desire her.

A couple of surprising twists...very well done (in Spanish, with English subtitles).

Mike

Basically said, People from Buffalo, are the most miserable M'Fers in the world, and they deserve to be.

45702[/snapback]

Being from Buffalo originally and have been back dozens of times to visit, I would have to say that Gallo's comments are pretty much right on the mark. He told the truth and you can't criticize the guy for that. Every time I'm up there, I run across at least a good couple dozen or so people throughout a weekend that do nothing but complain that somebody is doing them wrong. Most people in the Buffalo area are miserable and Gallo just let it out.

People who take offense to that comment are probably the same ones who take offense to people throughout the country that say it snows a lot in Buffalo. Wake up folks, it snows a friggin boatload there, just face the facts!!!!

By the way, I'm not bashing the people of Buffalo since I'm a native of the area but all Gallo did was tell the truth. Most people there are miserable. If you haven't figured that out, go shopping at Tops on a Friday morning just prior to a Bills game. My last trip there pretty much solidified that thought!!

Basically said, People from Buffalo, are the most miserable M'Fers in the world, and they deserve to be.

45702[/snapback]

He seems to have built a nice little career out of it though hasn't he. He's pissed at B-Lo because apparently Buffalo '66 got ripped locally although I've never met someone from B-Lo who didn't love it and totally connect with it. We should probably thank the "art community" in B-Lo for pissing him off.

He did say something along the lines of "they eat up their own" which to a large extent is true, hence half the material on the website...

Nobody's mentioned "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead".  Andy Garcia and Christopher Walken are both very good in this movie.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0114660/

I'd also like to second "The Big Lebowski" (of course) and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind".

47239[/snapback]

ahh, Things..Denver. Andy Garcia was pretty smooth in that movie.

Treat Williams was pretty funny too.

OK so you have both extolled Speilbergs virtues as an indy film maker, but you haven't listed anything for those of us uniformed...give us something man!

I have read that he is very good, but his unflinching vision is too piercing for my heart to withstand.  Films like his belong in an art house maybe somewhere in a bad neighborhood.  It is ridiculous to expect that the regular megaplex crowd could understand art like this.  That's why Spielberg will never get the credit he deserves as a revolutionary, until maybe after he's been dead for about 50 years.

47013[/snapback]