Who has Coyotes in their area?

This Fall/Winter, many of my friends have lost their dogs to Coyotes, and when my brother was looking at a house this weekend the owner warned him about having Pets because of all the Coyotes.

This article from the Smithsonian says the population is exploding,

I am curious if anyone has them in their neighborhood. They are

in Cattaraugus County New York, I don't think they were around 20 yrs ago.

Smithsonian on Coyotes

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are around in the urbane County north of where I now live. I used to live there.

Those folks can't do anything about them - discharge a firearm (including air rifles) and they will haul you away and accuse you of being public enemy #1. It's for the children, you know... :doh:

They are around in the urbane County north of where I now live.  I used to live there.

Those folks can't do anything about them - discharge a firearm (including air rifles) and they will haul you away and accuse you of being public enemy #1.  It's for the children, you know... :doh:

619379[/snapback]

nice use of urbane...very nice...

oh yeah, and we have plenty of coyotes here in CT.

My wife and I walk through a wilderness park every weekend accross the street from our house. We see at least one every time. They go after cats and dogs but the ones we see are pretty happy with the squirrels, rabbits and mice. If you're concerned, keep the pets inside. If you're not tie pork chops around their necks. :doh:

I almost hit one in my car as I was driving through Lowell, MA. Lowell is a very urban area - a small city like Utica. More dugs and thugs than coyotes, but sure enough they have coyotes.

I was so surprised to see one in that setting that I lloked it up and they've been reported in just about every single town and city in MA. The population has exploded. They are harmful to pets and may tear up your trash but generally don't get near people - they aren't that big and they're very skittish.

You can thanks some insurance companies...Nationwide for example has release hundreds in PA to "slow down the deer population" ...now the coyotes have exploded and are looking for "alternative" ways of feeding themselves...

That said, I would love to come and shoot them for you!

We've got a large number here in Chautauqua Co as well....I just missed one this year during bow season...arrow went right between its belly and the ground...6 inches higher and he'd of been done.

We used to see them regularly at my former residence because they were building new houses behind us and pushing the coyotes in varying directions. Though I must say there is a small bit of comedy listening to an animal fight with a coyote...particularly a cat. A bit of meowing...a bit of screeching...a grunt, a bite and silence.

Once saw a rabbit's head rather freshly cut off just off the tee-box at a golf course in Havasu. Now, because we were golfing, we were losers, so you probably don't care for anything else I have to say at this point, but I'll least offer up that it was as clean a cut as you could imagine.

Bob the Bunny. We barely knew ye.

And here I thought everyone hid under the couch.

619430[/snapback]

Several moons ago, I used to go out catfishing at night a lot when I lived in Kentucky. I had no idea there were coyotes running about, had always thought them a western thing. They were all over the place. That was the eighties, I imagine they might be running our ports now.

Three years ago I saw three sittilng at noon on the old rail line that is now a hiking trail about 100 ft from my window . They were watching all the joggers go by. They are also in the hills across the street. There are two cats missing in the neighborhood. Whenever I see one running around I say "Hi coyote chow!".

This Fall/Winter, many of my friends have lost their dogs to Coyotes, and  when my brother was looking at a house this weekend the owner warned him about having Pets because of all the Coyotes.

Smithsonian on Coyotes

619362[/snapback]

I haven't seen any walking down Elmwood Ave., but my folks have 'em in Lancaster, and you may have missed this article in the Buffalo Snooze...

Coyote found hurt in trap at roadside

I would expect them in rural parts of Cattaraugus County, and am not suprised to see them in Lancaster - which used to be rural but is now more like Amherst - but I was very suprised to see them in Tonawanda!

Allegany County here. We hear them all the time. Ive been hunting for them a few times, kinda eerie. They tend to travel in packs and people have been surrounded by them while they were hunting. The "sound" that you use (tape recording of baby rabbits screaming is one) is nasty sounding and it brings them in. You use an infrared light to spot them and you see their eyes. Pretty cool/scary at the same time. Have seen about 10-20 coming in at me. At the slightest sound or if they catch a whiff of you, they are gone.

This Fall/Winter, many of my friends have lost their dogs to Coyotes, and  when my brother was looking at a house this weekend the owner warned him about having Pets because of all the Coyotes.

Smithsonian on Coyotes

619362[/snapback]

C'mon X you know how to get rid of these buggars. Start drinking and pee all over your yard. The Coyotes hate the scent of human piss and will stay far away. Get your brother in on the action and a 12 pack of Labatt's and by morning your house will be Coyote free.

C'mon X you know how to get rid of these buggars. Start drinking and pee all over your yard. The Coyotes hate the scent of human piss and will stay far away. Get your brother in on the action and a 12 pack of Labatt's and by morning your house will be Coyote free.

619561[/snapback]

Not to mention free of happy neighbors and great equity. :blink:

They are

They "migrated" to WNY with alot of help from the DEC. I believe it was in effort to control the deer population, now there are wildcats/mountain lions in effort to control the coyote population. It kinda reminds me of the old lady that swallowed a fly. The sad thing is when I was a kid, we could go into the woods without fear. I don't trust sending my boys into the woods, and wouldnt want to camp on the hill behind my parent's house without a firearm.

Smithsonian on Coyotes

619362[/snapback]

They are showing up where my folks live NW FL. Neighbors lost a couple of pets. Luckily where I am at we haven't had any and my cats are all indoor cats.