Who has Coyotes in their area?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen them in my backyard. Saw one in Dedham, MA, five years ago. That's about 5 miles from Boston Common...

Llamas and donkeys are supposed to be good coyote deturrents... Really!

:blink:

98, I was camping in sandwich notch N.H... Sleeping in the tent, woke up to yip yip yip yipyipyipyoooooooooooooo. Walked over to the still burning campfire sat down looked up the at vivid milky way and listened to the chorous of coydogs. Then put on some coffee,went for hike towards the hall ponds. Great trout fishing along with the occasional glimpse of moose. On the way back to camp I hear bup bup bupbupbupbupbupbup, ruffed grouse perched on blowdown. Next day back in town listening to the natural sounds of honk, ring, out of my way moron.

Got 'em here in GA. Had one trot out and run up under my stand while I was deer hunting last Winter. Didn't even see me. I was downwind, too. Probably about 15 feet away. He turned around and went back the way he came. Property owner gave me a bunch of stojan over not offing the thing, but it wasn't hurthing anything...

They're right up near camp quite a bit too. Fire keeps 'em away I think. They're not as bad for the land as the wild hogs are. Those pests tear everything up.

-Jeff

Nice. What do you do with a dead coyote?

620394[/snapback]

Skin it, have it tanned and name it Wilson. At least that is what I did. (my kids named it Wilson after the ball in Castaway).

You could have it stuffed.

Found out yesterday my 5 year old girl trimmed it's tail. :w00t:

Skin it, have it tanned and name it Wilson. At least that is what I did. (my kids named it Wilson after the ball in Castaway).

You could have it stuffed.

Found out yesterday my 5 year old girl trimmed it's tail.  :lol:

620512[/snapback]

:w00t: Not a bad idea. I never would have thought of tanning it, but why not.

We have one in our neighborhood...keeps chasing this peculiar bird around...damn thing nearly blew my house to bits with one of his rocket contraptions. :w00t:

Seriously, haven't seen much of coyote my way. Fox, yeah, they run across my back yard, but no coyotes.

We have one in our neighborhood...keeps chasing this peculiar bird around...damn thing nearly blew my house to bits with one of his rocket contraptions.  :w00t:

Seriously, haven't seen much of coyote my way.  Fox, yeah, they run across my back yard, but no coyotes.

620568[/snapback]

I think this might explain the ACME holes in my yard.

:w00t: Not a bad idea. I never would have thought of tanning it, but why not.

620556[/snapback]

I know how to tan. At least in the old way, without using Sodium hydrosulfide. Dig out the high-nitrogen brains and mash them, skive off clinging flesh from the body side of the hide and slather the brain paste on. Stretch it out on a tenter frame and if you have cooperative sunlight and dry weather, you will get a nice hide in a week or so. If you want leather, you have to skive off the hair and build a fire to smoke the hide. You can also make foolscap.

Reserve the coyote's tendons to make thread to sew the pelts - you can split them to size, and also hog out the bone marrow - makes great glue when its set for a day.

Sadly, you can't get a Boy Scout merit badge for this stuff these days. :lol:

I know how to tan. At least in the old way, without using Sodium hydrosulfide. Dig out the high-nitrogen brains and mash them, skive off clinging flesh from the body side of the hide and slather the brain paste on.  Stretch it out on a tenter frame and if you have cooperative sunlight and dry weather, you will get a nice hide in a week or so. If you want leather, you have to skive off  the hair and build a fire to smoke the hide. You can also make foolscap.

Reserve the coyote's tendons to make thread to sew the pelts - you can split them to size, and also hog out the bone marrow - makes great glue when its set for a day.

Sadly, you can't get a Boy Scout merit badge for this stuff these days. :)

620633[/snapback]

Are you serious or joking ? Cause that sounds pretty gross. Glad I'm not in the cave man days !

Are you serious or joking ? Cause that sounds pretty gross. Glad I'm not in the cave man days !

621223[/snapback]

Yep. It was a project that all the kids in my Boy Scout troop participated in - I wasn't a leader - I was one of the kids!

We didn't have a coyote, though - we used two squirrels that somebody shot with a bb gun. :)

Now, this was a good many years ago - skills like that were waning even then, but they still held some popular value.

I see them occasionally at night in San Diego. One time, I saw a coyote with an animal in it's jaws run in front of my car. Sometimes, the coyotes around here come out during the daytime and they get close enough to kids that parents have to pull the kids inside. Coyotes are hungry and displaced in many cases. Cats, dogs, kids are all at risk.

Three years ago I saw  three sittilng at noon on the old rail line that is now a hiking trail about 100 ft from my window . They were watching all the joggers go by.  They are also in the hills across the street. There are two cats missing in the neighborhood. Whenever I see one running around I say "Hi coyote chow!".

619485[/snapback]

Maybe they were waiting for the ROADRUNNER! :rolleyes:

They "migrated" to WNY with alot of help from the DEC.  I believe it was in effort to control the deer population, now there are wildcats/mountain lions in effort to control the coyote population.  It kinda reminds me of the old lady that swallowed a fly.  The sad thing is when I was a kid, we could go into the woods without fear.  I don't trust sending my boys into the woods, and wouldnt want to camp on the hill behind my parent's house without a firearm.

619571[/snapback]

I wouldn't trust sending my kids into the woods because of the lunatics out there these days, not the animals.