*BREAKING NEWS* Mort says deal in principle done!!

sven233

I guess all these cuts and everything that we have been hearing about will be put on hold now or retracted. With a higher cap, some of these guys that were originally cut may now find a way to resign. Should be an interesting couple of days here.

I guess all these cuts and everything that we have been hearing about will be put on hold now or retracted.  With a higher cap, some of these guys that were originally cut may now find a way to resign.  Should be an interesting couple of days here.

618909[/snapback]

I am not sure on this, but I don't think they can re-sign with the teams that cut them...I think the Bills might have kept Sam Adams if they could have afforded to, and maybe Mike Williams with a major pay cut, but Milloy and Campbell, I dunno....

There's no rule against resigning with the team that cut you, its just nobody is going to do it. Anybody who gets cut, more than likely feels unwanted and this generally stews up a little (or a lot in some case) resentment. Mix in the Pro-Athlete Ego factor and I doubt you will find any NFL players tucking their tail between their legs and crawling back to their old teams.....that is unless they can't find a job elsewhere.

There's no rule against resigning with the team that cut you, its just nobody is going to do it.  Anybody who gets cut, more than likely feels unwanted and this generally stews up a little (or a lot in some case) resentment.  Mix in the Pro-Athlete Ego factor and I doubt you will find any NFL players tucking their tail between their legs and crawling back to their old teams.....that is unless they can't find a job elsewhere.

618915[/snapback]

The players won't have a say in it. The new extension stipulates that any team that made a cut in the past two weeks may rescind that move up until the salary cap deadline. This was put into place just in case a deal was reached and teams (such as the Chiefs) determined they could keep a player (such as Will Shields) with the higher cap.

I am not sure on this, but I don't think they can re-sign with the teams that cut them...I think the Bills might have kept Sam Adams if they could have afforded to, and maybe Mike Williams with a major pay cut, but Milloy and Campbell, I dunno....

618911[/snapback]

I thought I read somewhere that teams can "recall" their free agents this year based on te special circumstances. I doubt it will have impact on any of the Bills releases.

I thought I read somewhere that teams can "recall" their free agents this year based on te special circumstances.  I doubt it will have impact on any of the Bills releases.

618935[/snapback]

See the post just above yours. :doh:

618911[/snapback]

No chance of that. The new regime cut the above players for football reasons as much as salary cap reasons. Its not like we were desperate for cap space....

JDG

STL your mock v 1.0 would be great. Not to knock our young guy but Mangold is a beast. I thought he would be a 1st rounder though.

618925[/snapback]

Neither one of my mock drafts are feasible at this point, they were both constructed around the time of the senior bowl. Since the combine most of these guys' stock have gone through the roof..Mangold, Lawson, etc. I really need to do post-combine version 3.0 that is a little more realistic.

I read the link above and am curious, does the fact that the proposal is being submitted to the owners mean that the NFL in principle approves of the proposal?

I read the link and tried to do some searches, but everything I read doesn’t indicate a deal is imminent. In fact, ESPN News says that Upshaw presented this as the NFLPA’s final proposal and the League said basically “okay we’ll show the owners what you’ve got”. Where is the optimism coming from?

Thanks in advance….

I read the link above and am curious, does the fact that the proposal is being submitted to the owners mean that the NFL in principle approves of the proposal? 

I read the link and tried to do some searches, but everything I read doesn’t indicate a deal is imminent.  In fact, ESPN News says that Upshaw presented this as the NFLPA’s final proposal and the League said basically “okay we’ll show the owners what you’ve got”.  Where is the optimism coming from? 

Thanks in advance….

619301[/snapback]

My observation exactly.

My observation exactly.

619317[/snapback]

Gazoo thinks the "new CBA" will be a tough sell..

"Extending the free agency deadline again, this time to Thursday, might not be the best way to settle the labor problems, but it was the only alternative. Unable to reach a deal Sunday night, the NFL went to Gene Upshaw and offered to take the union's last proposal to the owners for a vote in Dallas on Tuesday. No deal, even if it was agreed upon under better circumstances, was going to be totally sellable to owners. Redskins owner Dan Snyder isn't going to like the "cash-over-cap" provisions that will limit his ability to outspend other teams in a given year. Some owners won't like giving 59.5 percent of total revenues to the players knowing that it's going to cost $5 million to $6 million more than they expected. The lower-revenue teams, in particular, aren't going to like doing this deal without more sharing of local revenues from the upper-echelon teams.

The NFLPA's proposal won't be an easy sell Tuesday in Dallas, but it's the only way the salary cap system stays in place.

Fixed costs: One good thing about the six-year labor deal being proposed to the owners Tuesday is that the owners will know the fixed costs of doing business. With a cash-over-cap provision in the deal, owners know they won't be totally outspent by the high-revenue clubs. Call the "cash-over-cap" provision a soft cap within the regular salary cap. It's not as though teams can't go beyond the yearly salary cap allotment of say $106 million or so. If they do, there will be a penalty that might count against next year's cap. An owner such as Snyder will be able to go over the cap one year knowing it will cost him the next year. But at least he'll have some options."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...n_john#20060306