Senior Night at Cameron...

eball

Yet another example of why this is the best rivalry in college basketball. Carolina's over-achieving team walks into Cameron and spoils the final home game for J.J. Redick and Sheldon Williams.

Roy is coach of the year. What Carolina has done this season is amazing and unprecedented. The national champs from a year ago lose their top SEVEN scorers, yet still finish 12-4 in the ACC and 21-6 overall, and are poised for a possible #2 or #3 seed in the NCAA tourney.

This was supposed to be our "down" year, before a freshman class comes in next season featuring the #1 recruits at PG, SG, and PF (with the #3 C added for kicks).

It is a great time to be a Tar Heel. :huh:

GO HEELS!!!

Yet another example of why this is the best rivalry in college basketball.  Carolina's over-achieving team walks into Cameron and spoils the final home game for J.J. Redick and Sheldon Williams.

Roy is coach of the year.  What Carolina has done this season is amazing and unprecedented.  The national champs from a year ago lose their top SEVEN scorers, yet still finish 12-4 in the ACC and 21-6 overall, and are poised for a possible #2 or #3 seed in the NCAA tourney.

This was supposed to be our "down" year, before a freshman class comes in next season featuring the #1 recruits at PG, SG, and PF (with the #3 C added for kicks).

It is a great time to be a Tar Heel.  :huh:

GO HEELS!!!

618628[/snapback]

Coach of the Year, for sure. At least in my book.

*Ahem*

What? I'm just clearing my throat.

:doh:

618796[/snapback]

At this point, the Huskies are clearly the favorite to win it all. Carolina wasn't even "supposed" to be in the conversation, however...that's what makes what Roy has done this year so remarkable.

Jumping in here as a Duke fan, its completely ridiculous that JJ played 38 minutes a game for us this year. The guy needs a vacation. Hope you enjoyed going for all those records Coach, cause this is not a title winning team. They are too burnt. I would have loved to see us play UConn about 3 weeks ago, now, we'd simply get blown out if we even make it that far.

Carolina played very well, and once Sheldon Williams got in foul trouble (again), the load fell to JJ (again). UNC didn't do anything special on D, JJ had the looks and just missed the shots. Also, Melchionni's inability to hit the corner 3 like he did last season, will absolutely doom us in the tourney.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Congrats to UNC for a great win.

Jumping in here as a Duke fan, its completely ridiculous that JJ played 38 minutes a game for us this year.  The guy needs a vacation.  Hope you enjoyed going for all those records Coach, cause this is not a title winning team.  They are too burnt.  I would have loved to see us play UConn about 3 weeks ago, now, we'd simply get blown out if we even make it that far. 

Carolina played very well, and once Sheldon Williams got in foul trouble (again), the load fell to JJ (again).  UNC didn't do anything special on D, JJ had the looks and just missed the shots.  Also, Melchionni's inability to hit the corner 3 like he did last season, will absolutely doom us in the tourney.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.  Congrats to UNC for a great win.

619118[/snapback]

He was playing that long when he was SI's cover boy and the media darling of everyone. Considering how he came into this year as one of the highest profile players in the nation, I'm sure he knew he was going to play a lot of minutes. He handled it well. The guy's a class act as well as a great college player.

Unfortunately, I think he'll be another Duke player to play very well in college and his career won't translate as well in the pros. I don't wish for that even though I'm a Heels fan because the guy is such a class act, but I just get the feeling that he'll be ordinary @ the NBA level.

I will be the first to admit I don't follow basketball, but what was all the stuff about Redicks mom and the taunting that was reported, I read bits and pieces, but what gives, why is this guy taunted so much and what does it have to do with the signs of his Mom?

Jumping in here as a Duke fan, its completely ridiculous that JJ played 38 minutes a game for us this year.  The guy needs a vacation.  Hope you enjoyed going for all those records Coach, cause this is not a title winning team.  They are too burnt.  I would have loved to see us play UConn about 3 weeks ago, now, we'd simply get blown out if we even make it that far. 

Carolina played very well, and once Sheldon Williams got in foul trouble (again), the load fell to JJ (again).  UNC didn't do anything special on D, JJ had the looks and just missed the shots.  Also, Melchionni's inability to hit the corner 3 like he did last season, will absolutely doom us in the tourney.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.  Congrats to UNC for a great win.

619118[/snapback]

Umm...what game were you watching? JJ was absolutely hounded all night by Ginyard (and sometimes others). He didn't get the open looks he is accustomed to, and when he forced shots they weren't falling.

With respect to the Milkman, the only reason the game didn't get into double digits earlier was because he hit three 3s in the first half.

This Carolina win was no fluke, and it can't be simply brushed away with a "JJ was tired" explanation.

Unfortunately, I think he'll be another Duke player to play very well in college and his career won't translate as well in the pros. I don't wish for that even though I'm a Heels fan because the guy is such a class act, but I just get the feeling that he'll be ordinary @ the NBA level.

You know, it depends who drafts him and if they have a decent big man. If an NBA team with a decent big man (Minnesota, Spurs, Rockets, Miami) take JJ to make teams pay for double teaming say Garnett, I think Redick will have a decent career. Not All-Star mind you, but certainly 12-15 ppg, 2-3 apg, which would be a very good career.

JJ was absolutely hounded all night by Ginyard (and sometimes others). He didn't get the open looks he is accustomed to, and when he forced shots they weren't falling.  This Carolina win was no fluke, and it can't be simply brushed away with a "JJ was tired" explanation.

Don't misunderstand me, UNC is a very good team. I'll give credit there. But to tell me that JJ's shooting night was a result of Carolina's D is overestimating your D, by a lot. There was no Jackie Manuel out there this year. Redick had his chances and blew them.

He was playing that long when he was SI's cover boy and the media darling of everyone. Considering how he came into this year as one of the highest profile players in the nation, I'm sure he knew he was going to play a lot of minutes. He handled it well. The guy's a class act as well as a great college player.

Absolutely. I meant it more as an indictment of Coach K for not developing a third scoring option this season and Sheldon Williams for not understanding how to avoid foul trouble in now his 4th year of college ball.

The Duke system is based on reading the D and getting open looks. There are no set plays, thats why its so difficult to defend. But, you'd think that maybe Coach K could have sprinkled in a few to get a decent scoring chance for Dockery or Nelson, to try and develop their scoring abilities. I know Nelson was hurt earlier, but he's healthy now. Isolate Nelson (the most athletic Duke player) and have him drive and either finish or kick it out to JJ or Melchionni. Duke's title teams always had that guy who could penetrate the D and kick the ball back out. That option has rarely been developed this season.

And Sheldon Williams being named All-America last year and probably this year says more about the state of post play in college basketball than anything. He was owned by Hansborough twice (didn't you learn any tricks in 4 years that might be useful against a freshman??) and Killingsworth.