Now that Adams is gone - Why do we take Ngata?

Just wondering all these draft sites have Ngata to the Bills, but the team has stated that they are looking for smaller quicker guys.  :D

615273[/snapback]

Ngata is Big and Quick. He posted a 5.2 40 time, which is fast for a man of his size.

Just wondering all these draft sites have Ngata to the Bills, but the team has stated that they are looking for smaller quicker guys.  :D

615273[/snapback]

There aren't many DTs out there that are quicker than Adams and, despite his size, he wasn't a plug in the middle. I'd say that the coaching staff is looking for some guys that can take up blockers and let the LBs make plays. That wasn't Adams' strong suit and from what I've read, that is Ngata's.

I could see smaller quicker (high-motor?) guys at other positions on Defense but IMO you have to have big penetrating guy in the middle to disrupt the Offense and force plays outside of the tackles so that the faster D players can track them down. Ngata or someone like him in the middle would make a fast Defense more effective.

Guest BackInDaDay

615273[/snapback]

Not sure where you got the 'smaller' part from, but the 'quicker' part's right.

I don't know how Ngata played at Oregon(?), but everything I've seen projects him as a terrific 2-gap interior linemen. Holds his own when he's playside, quick pursuit from the backside, and can pass rush. If he's gone, and Mario Williams (DE - NCState?) is gone, we should trade our 8th. These are the two impact players that our '06 D needs. We've got to get one.

Ngata is Big and Quick. He posted a 5.2 40 time, which is fast for a man of his size.

615278[/snapback]

40 times don't really mean anything for DTs, In all honesty I kind of want Bunckley after his combine. I say we attempt to trade down and pick up an extra second rounder and draft Bunckley in the first.

The more and more I think about it. The more I believe we'll end up taking broderick bunkley. The cover 2 relies on smaller quicker dts who can push the pocket, dont get that confused with interior pass rush. I'm just talking about a dt who can get into the backfield to force bad throws or blow up running plays. Felwel(sp?) and jauron might feel that a bunkley could be our version of Tommie Harris, or they could go ngata, as Jaurons best defense in chicago are when he had keith traylor and Big Ted. In other words I dont really know so this post is useless it could go this way or that way who knows? :D

The more and more I think about it.  The more I believe we'll end up taking broderick bunkley.  The cover 2 relies on  smaller quicker dts who can push the pocket, dont get that confused with interior pass rush. I'm just talking about a dt who can get into the backfield to force bad throws or blow up running plays. Felwel(sp?) and jauron might feel that a bunkley could be our version of Tommie Harris, or they could go ngata, as Jaurons best defense in chicago are when he had keith traylor and Big Ted.  In other words I dont really know so this post is useless it could go this way or that way who knows?  :D

615289[/snapback]

This is exactly how I feel about this situation. If we do go after Bunckley instead we could probably pick up a few more picks by trading down in the first.

The cut of Sam Adams means 2 things to me.....

The bills realize that the teams that are well under the cap are going to be able to be big time players in free agency.....look for Moulds to be cut any time now and possibly even some more players.....

I dont think Levy wants to put up with Sam's tantrums on the field....for which he was good for at least 1 good one EVERY year for the last few years......

I dont think getting rid of Sam means no Ngata....in fact if may mean that we are leaning towards him....and it also wouldn't suprise me to see Ted Washington brought to Buffalo.....

Guest BackInDaDay
The cut of Sam Adams means 2 things to me.....

The bills realize that the teams that are well under the cap are going to be able to be big time players in free agency.....look for Moulds to be cut any time now and possibly even some more players.....

I dont think Levy wants to put up with Sam's tantrums on the field....for which he was good for at least 1 good one EVERY year for the last few years......

I dont think getting rid of Sam means no Ngata....in fact if may mean that we are leaning towards him....and it also wouldn't suprise me to see Ted Washington brought to Buffalo.....

615298[/snapback]

Washington's the consumate 2-gap wall, but I don't think he generated a pass rush back in his Denver days. This is the only reason I'd choose Ngata (or DE Williams) over Bunkley and an added pick.

I'm concerned about our ability to generate a pass rush and I don't know if Bunkley's got the skills for that. He's an awesome physical specimen, no doubt, but I don't know if he's as good an all-around interior lineman as Ngata.

Washington's the consumate 2-gap wall, but I don't think he generated a pass rush back in his Denver days.  This is the only reason I'd choose Ngata (or DE Williams) over Bunkley and an added pick. 

I'm concerned about our ability to generate a pass rush and I don't know if Bunkley's got the skills for that. He's an awesome physical specimen, no doubt, but I don't know if he's as good an all-around interior lineman as Ngata.

615348[/snapback]

Here are Bunkley's stats from last year.

13 Games 39 Tackles 27 Assistant Tackles 66 Total Tackles 25.0 Tackles for Loss 9.0 Sacks 15 QB Hurries. He's an ideal cover 2 DT. While Ngata might be a better guy locking up guys I doubt he'd generate the pass rush that Bunkley can.

Just wondering all these draft sites have Ngata to the Bills, but the team has stated that they are looking for smaller quicker guys.  :unsure:

615273[/snapback]

Ngata is a lesser prospect than Adams was when he came out. Adams absolutely dominated at Texas A&M. Then Adams went on to underwhelm for several seasons, as did Ted Washington after he was drafted, and so many other DT's. DL is the biggest "bust" position in the early rounds, because success at that position requires significant effort, and the bigger the players get, the harder it is to get a motor to match. Mike Williams type situations are the norm with early round DT's, and I'm not real anxious to go thru that again.

I can't for the life of me imagine why we would want a small quick defensive tackle. I'll go for a big quick tackle any time.  A young Sam Adams doesn't sound all that bad either.

615293[/snapback]

A cold Sam Adams, preferably draft doesn't sound bad either.

I'm wary of line drafts high up, period. Ngata has downsides not worth a top money pick. If the Bills are going to go to a real live cover 2, do we really need round 1 number 8 talent as a gap rusher? The effectiveness is in the parts and the scheme.

I wouldn't be stunned if the Bills picked up Rob Meier, or someone free agency that has a lot of quickness and costs peanuts.

Draft choices don't mean as much today as they did a week ago. I'd like to see the Bills filling as many holes through FA and waivers as possible, with players who have already shown something in the NFL, and trade down. Exception being, I'd draft Davis if he were there.

Draft choices don't mean as much today as they did a week ago. I'd like to see the Bills filling as many holes through FA as possible, with players who have already shown something in the NFL, and trade down. Exception being, I'd draft Davis if he were there.

615804[/snapback]

I heard this phrase a few years ago and think it applies well. You pick up your starters in free agency and draft for depth.

I heard this phrase a few years ago and think it applies well. You pick up your starters in free agency and draft for depth.

615808[/snapback]

absolute nonsense.

you must find playmakers in the draft to be successful because there are too few freea gent playmakers available and the ones that are lbecome cost prohibitive.

I guess I'll feel less gunshy after I see some draft choices actually pan out.

615848[/snapback]

:D:lol::D

I guess that is the most frustrating part of it all.

On draft day, I sit in my living room like a lunatic. My daughters help me chart the picks, and I have 2 phones handy to talk over the draft with my friends.

At the end of the day, I am almost always disgusted. We draft little guys who suck or are injured, and the last 2 first round linemen we DID were Erik Flowers and Mike Williams. :(:doh::huh:

You know, I will be sitting in the same spot this season, full of hope. I am not giving up. Never.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!