The Eric Moulds Decision

JDG

Well, it looks like insanity is going to reign over reason, but here goes..... based on numbers in today's D&C.

No matter what happens, Eric Moulds will count at least $5.3 million against this year's cap. Nothing can change that, so that $5.3 million is essentially off the table.

Thus, the only question is - is Eric Moulds worth $5.5 million in cap space this year. Granted $5.5 million is a lot. It sounds like the Bills want to put the maximum 30% pay cut on that to get it down to $3.67 million. It doesn't look like Moulds is biting, but if he did - Moulds for $3.67million would be a no-brainer.

So, since that is unlikely, the question is - is Moulds worth $5.5mil in cap space? Well, the problem is that the Bills certainly should not plan on going into next season with just Evans, Parrish, Aiken, and some 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or some mid-tier free agent at WR. That means trying to sign a top free agent WR, i.e. an Antwaan Randle-El, David Givens, or Antonio Bryant.

Antwaan Randle-El is going to be a huge bidding war, and with signing bonuses only able to be pro-rated over four years as of today, that's going to be a first year cap figure of probably close to $4mil or $5mil. Even those other players are going to require first-year cap figures of $2mil or $3mil. Is it really worth cutting Eric Moulds just to get an extra $1.5-$2.5mil of cap space to use on other positions?

Last year Eric Moulds caught 81 passes for 816 yards in 15 games with 4 TDs, despite playing half those games with a QB who was in the bottom 10% of the League, and the other half of those games with a QB who famously loved to throw underneath passes. Moreover, Moulds clearly showed in his last three games that he still has the talent to play in this League.

And who are we going to replace him with? Antonio Bryant? He's a head case who got run out of Dallas, and whom Cleveland isn't thrilled about re-signing, even though their best WR isn't even going to be ready for training camp. He caught only 69 balls for 1000 yards, and the same number of TD's as Moulds last year anyways. David Givens? 60 catches for 700 yards, in 10 starts and 13 games due to injuries - with a whopping 2 TD's. He's never even started a full season. And even if we win the Antwaan Randle-El sweepstakes, we'd still be getting a WR who caught just 35 passes for 550 yards and a single TD in his first full season as a starter on one of the best teams in football. Its not like we need Randle-El to return kicks for us.

So what exactly is the rush to replace Eric Moulds? Getting rid of our best offensive player does not seem like a path to getting better. Indeed, measuring up Moulds' accomplishments on a very below-average team, it is not at all clear that we could replace Moulds with a comparable talent. The Bills are not like the Redskins and stuck in salary cap jail. Under the circumstances, downgrading our WR position for $1.5-$2.5mil in cap space would be penny wise and pound foolish.

JDG

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent point, Quebecer. Through this fan's eyes, it does not appear that way. If Moulds wanted to come back, he'd want to Bills to win, so he would restructure yet again, knowing he would get more guaranteed cash in the long run. But, instead, he has shown he is going to continue what he started in Miami. He wants out, and he is going to get just that -- sometime this week, I'll bet.

No, he is not worth $5.5 mil -- not to the Bills. Plus, and even more importantly, if he is kept, the Bills will have more dead cash the year they do finally say goodbye to #80.

I am a big fan for Moulds, however, at this stage of his career if we can get a younger receiver such as Bryant for around 2 mil, I would take Bryant or one of the others mentioned. I feel Eric is on the downside and even if our savings is only 2 mil, that may still be enough to bring in another good player at another position such as safety....

I am a big fan for Moulds, however, at this stage of his career if we can get a younger receiver such as Bryant for around 2 mil, I would take Bryant or one of the others mentioned. I feel Eric is on the downside and even if our savings is only 2 mil, that may still be enough to bring in another good player at another position such as safety....

613533[/snapback]

Bryant for Moulds? No thanks? What has Bryant ever done other than throw a towel in Parcells face?

Well, it looks like insanity is going to reign over reason, but here goes..... based on numbers in today's D&C.

No matter what happens, Eric Moulds will count at least $5.3 million against this year's cap.  Nothing can change that, so that $5.3 million is essentially off the table.

Thus, the only question is - is Eric Moulds worth $5.5 million in cap space this year.    Granted $5.5 million is a lot.  It sounds like the Bills want to put the maximum 30% pay cut on that to get it down to $3.67 million.    It doesn't look like Moulds is biting, but if he did - Moulds for $3.67million would be a no-brainer.

So, since that is unlikely, the question is - is Moulds worth $5.5mil in cap space?  Well, the problem is that the Bills certainly should not plan on going into next season with just Evans, Parrish, Aiken, and some 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or some mid-tier free agent at WR.  That means trying to sign a top free agent WR, i.e. an Antwaan Randle-El, David Givens, or Antonio Bryant.

Antwaan Randle-El is going to be a huge bidding war, and with signing bonuses only able to be pro-rated over four years as of today, that's going to be a first year cap figure of probably close to $4mil or $5mil.  Even those other players are going to require first-year cap figures of $2mil or $3mil.    Is it really worth cutting Eric Moulds just to get an extra $1.5-$2.5mil of cap space to use on other positions?

Last year Eric Moulds caught 81 passes for 816 yards in 15 games with 4 TDs, despite playing half those games with a QB who was in the bottom 10% of the League, and the other half of those games with a QB who famously loved to throw underneath passes.    Moreover, Moulds clearly showed in his last three games that he still has the talent to play in this League.

And who are we going to replace him with?  Antonio Bryant?  He's a head case who got run out of Dallas, and whom Cleveland isn't thrilled about re-signing, even though their best WR isn't even going to be ready for training camp.  He caught only 69 balls for 1000 yards, and the same number of TD's as Moulds last year anyways.    David Givens?  60 catches for 700 yards, in 10 starts and 13 games due to injuries - with a whopping 2 TD's.  He's never even started a full season.    And even if we win the Antwaan Randle-El sweepstakes, we'd still be getting a WR who caught just 35 passes for 550 yards and a single TD in his first full season as a starter on one of the best teams in football.  Its not like we need Randle-El to return kicks for us.

So what exactly is the rush to replace Eric Moulds?  Getting rid of our best offensive player does not seem like a path to getting better.  Indeed, measuring up Moulds' accomplishments on a very below-average team, it is not at all clear that we could replace Moulds with a comparable talent.    The Bills are not like the Redskins and stuck in salary cap jail.  Under the circumstances, downgrading our WR position for $1.5-$2.5mil in cap space would be penny wise and pound foolish.

JDG

613512[/snapback]

Time to move on, Moulds has gotten progressively worse. From my vantage point at the 50, he can't get open against press coverage any longer, he's essentially a zone squatter. I don't have any problem with spending Ralph's money, so I wouldn't just cut him to save money that wouldn't be put to good use if he wanted to stay, but he clearly wants out and he IS overpaid so it's a pretty easy decision, IMO. It's time to focus on rebuilding the lines and getting TE production.

Moreover, Moulds clearly showed in his last three games that he still has the talent to play in this League.

Indeed, measuring up Moulds' accomplishments on a very below-average team, it is not at all clear that we could replace Moulds with a comparable talent.   

JDG

613512[/snapback]

John, the last 3 years games that you cite are the reason he was able to crack the 10 yards per catch "milestone." Before this outburst, he was lingering in the nines.

Also, you didn't mention the fact that cutting him now serves to unsaddle us from his inflated 07 contract.

Imo, we simply don't need him and we DO need to rebuild and head in another direction.

I am with you on that T80. The coaching staff did a great job throwing Moulds under the bus.

613545[/snapback]

That coaching staff is no longer here. Does he give the new staff a chance or does he want out?

Excellent point, Quebecer. Through this fan's eyes, it does not appear that way. If Moulds wanted to come back, he'd want to Bills to win, so he would restructure yet again, knowing he would get more guaranteed cash in the long run. But, instead, he has shown he is going to continue what he started in Miami. He wants out, and he is going to get just that -- sometime this week, I'll bet.

No, he is not worth $5.5 mil -- not to the Bills. Plus, and even more importantly, if he is kept, the Bills will have more dead cash the year they do finally say goodbye to #80.

613526[/snapback]

According to published reports, the Bills have not offered Moulds a restructuring.

You say that Moulds is not worth $5.5mil to the Bills. Come again? How many games do you think the Bills will win with Evans-Parrish-Aiken-some rookie as our WR's? Its hard to see this message board, which has villified Parrish all year as getting excited about Randle-El. Do we bring in a head-case journeyman like Bryant? Or a David Givens who hasn't managed to distinguish himself on one of the best offenses in the League the past few years?

The Bills should be seeking to fill holes, not to create them.

JDG

Would this be the last year of eric's contract ??

If u don't have a chance to resign him as a FA, then it's not worth the investment this year. Gotta get younger, and pickup a new player that can mature in the system for a year. I like jerivicious, good posession guy to complement evans.

John, the last 3 years games that you cite are the reason he was able to crack the 10 yards per catch "milestone." Before this outburst, he was lingering in the nines.

Also, you didn't mention the fact that cutting him now serves to unsaddle us from his inflated 07 contract.

Imo, we simply don't need him and we DO need to rebuild and head in another direction.

613560[/snapback]

I don't view Eric Moulds' numbers going up once we got a real NFL QB under center as a knock against him. Indeed, I think it proves what Moulds is really capable of, and demonstrates just how bad Losman really was last season. Moreover, given the state of the Bills' WR's, I'd be happy to have a player who could catch 80 balls for an *8* yard per catch average.

As for Moulds' 2007 contract, that shouldn't be part of the equation. The Bills will have to assume the cap hit for already paid signing bonuses at one time or another. So, there really isn't much difference between accounting for that cap hit this year versus next year - it all has to be accounted for eventually. If anything, given the pressure to "win now" in Buffalo - i.e. to at least break our playoff-less streak, there might be a slight preference for spreading out the cap hit so as not to hamstring the team for this upcoming season. In any case, come the end of next season, you once again conduct the same exercise: look at Moulds' last season production, look at the production of Moulds' possible replacements, and compare with the price of retaining Moulds vs. the cost of replacing Moulds. But logically, it is a fallacy to bring the 2007 contract into it - *unless* you have a strong preference for "taking the medicine" this year, not seriously competing for the playoffs, and building with a view towards 2007. I personally don't have that preference, and given the general atmosphere in Buffalo, I don't think it would necessarily be a wise decision.

You talk about "heading in another direction" - well, which direction is that? The Sam Aiken direction? I've already gone over the underwhelming free-agent crop of WR's this year. Cutting Moulds and spending yet another 1st-day draft pick on WR is simply going to keep us from using that 1st day pick to address one of our other needs. The Bills have too many holes as it is this year to create another hole for this year. Let's focus on the holes we have, and worry about creating holes with a vew for "improvement in another direction" next year.

JDG

Agreed.

I have a funny feeling there will be a lot of bitching and whining when Moulds tears it up for a contender next season.

You talk about "heading in another direction" - well, which direction is that?  The Sam Aiken direction?  I've already gone over the underwhelming free-agent crop of WR's this year.    Cutting Moulds and spending yet another 1st-day draft pick on WR is simply going to keep us from using that 1st day pick to address one of our other needs.  The Bills have too many holes as it is this year to create another hole for this year.  Let's focus on the holes we have, and worry about creating holes with a vew for "improvement in another direction" next year.

JDG

613643[/snapback]

As for Moulds' 2007 contract, that shouldn't be part of the equation.  The Bills will have to assume the cap hit for already paid signing bonuses at one time or another.   So, there really isn't much difference between accounting for that cap hit this year versus next year - it all has to be accounted for eventually.   If anything, given the pressure to "win now" in Buffalo - i.e. to at least break our playoff-less streak, there might be a slight preference for spreading out the cap hit so as not to hamstring the team for this upcoming season.    In any case, come the end of next season, you once again conduct the same exercise: look at Moulds' last season production, look at the production of Moulds' possible replacements, and compare with the price of retaining Moulds vs. the cost of replacing Moulds.   But logically, it is a fallacy to bring the 2007 contract into it - *unless* you have a strong preference for "taking the medicine" this year, not seriously competing for the playoffs, and building with a view towards 2007.   I personally don't have that preference, and given the general atmosphere in Buffalo, I don't think it would necessarily be a wise decision.

613643[/snapback]

Clump's #'s on EM

Salary: $6.089 million

Old proration: $2 million (from $12 million s.b. he rec'd in 2001)

New Proration: $1,666,667

Reporting bonus: $1 million (likely due at start of training camp)

Work out bonus: $100,000

Pro Bowl bonus: $200,000 (NLTBE)

Cap hit: $10,855,667

Salary: $7.25 million

New proration: $1,666,667

Cap hit: $8,916,667

Without any further restructuring, Moulds dead cap hit from prorated bonuses if cut before 2007 is only $1.7M, compared to the $5.5M if cut before 2006. If you can hold your nose & pay him the $7+M salary this year, cutting him before next year should be pretty easy.

Clump's #'s on EM  Without any further restructuring, Moulds dead cap hit from prorated bonuses if cut before 2007 is only $1.7M, compared to the $5.5M if cut before 2006. If you can hold your nose & pay him the $7+M salary this year, cutting him before next year should be pretty easy.

613697[/snapback]

Therein lies the rub. Next season.

Yes, the Bills will likely be better with Eric Moulds this year. Is Eric Moulds going to be the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs and then getting killed? I am not sure. Probably not. Is he the difference between winning the AFC Championship and then maybe winning the SB? On this year's Bills? No. So the 1A question that needs to be asked is, are we going to want to pay 9 million next year to Eric Moulds for one more year. After 11 million this year. That answer is probably no.

I think he can be a good possession receiver in this league for 3 more years. But he's not worth high #1 WR money. We're better off drafting the stud TE and a younger possession WR.