Marv needs to stop showing his "Draft Hand"

firstngoal

I agree with your post.  Just one small nit.  Ferguson and Wlliams could "drop" to us.  Ngata will just be there -- no "dropping" since he's not as good as the other two.  I don't think we have to worry about fatboy being available, but there's only a 10% chance we can get Mario and a 20% chance we can get DaBrick.

The players who are at a different level are Bush, Leinart, Young (at least he was and should still be), Cutler, Williams, Ferguson, Hawk, and Ngata. After these guys, the talent drop-off noticeably. So Ngata is no more sure of being there, ESPECIALLY if Young falls out of the top-7, than any of the other guys I listed. The Bills have to hope Young remains a top-7 pick and/or that someone makes a sudden rise to the top.

I don't think Marv is doing anything by talking to the press other than giving information (or maybe disinformation) to the general public.

Listen, if you're a professional NFL front office guy or talen scout, you know what Buffalo is likey to do in the draft based on your knowledge of the league and the needs of the Buffalo Bills, not what you read in the papers about what the GM says.

Other teams know the Bills aren't taking a QB in the first - not because Marv said it, but because they know the Bills.

Marv can say whatever he wants - other teams aren't gaining an advantage because that's not how they're getting their info on what the Bills will do.

Other teams know the Bills aren't taking a QB in the first - not because Marv said it, but because they know the Bills.

611794[/snapback]

Marv wasn't involved in the decision to draft Losman. Already, Jauron's decision to have an open competition at QB signals a lower level of commitment to Losman than Mularkey's decision to simply hand him the QB job. Then there's a question as to whether Losman's mobility would be as big an asset to Fairchild's offense as it was intended to have been for the Mularkey/Clements offense. Then there were Losman's struggles in 2005.

The point I'm getting at is that Levy could credibly instill a sense of doubt about the Bills' intentions in the first round. Let's say Cutler fell to #7, and Levy didn't have any plans of taking him at #8. Why not force some team to trade up one spot ahead of the Bills to take Cutler, so that some other player falls to us?

It doesn't matter one bit what anyone says about the draft right now on the Bills because whatever happens in Free Agency, who they do or don't sign, will drastically affect who they will or won't draft. And no one on Earth knows who they will or won't sign in FA, because the team needs to want a player, they need to offer enough money, the player needs to want to sign there for that much, and other teams need to cooperate by not offering more.

Marv wasn't involved in the decision to draft Losman. Already, Jauron's decision to have an open competition at QB signals a lower level of commitment to Losman than Mularkey's decision to simply hand him the QB job. Then there's a question as to whether Losman's mobility would be as big an asset to Fairchild's offense as it was intended to have been for the Mularkey/Clements offense. Then there were Losman's struggles in 2005.

The point I'm getting at is that Levy could credibly instill a sense of doubt about the Bills' intentions in the first round. Let's say Cutler fell to #7, and Levy didn't have any plans of taking him at #8. Why not force some team to trade up one spot ahead of the Bills to take Cutler, so that some other player falls to us?

611829[/snapback]

We may disagree on how feasable it is that the Bills would take a QB in round 1 or whether we can fool any other teams into believing that we might, but the point is that none of it has anything to do with what Marv tells the media.

I think that if the Bills go QB in round 1 there will be torch-weilding mobs descending on Ralph Wilson Stadium. It would signal that the Bills yet again picked a bust with a first round pick, or that they aren't patient enought with JP to give him the playing time he needs, or just simply can't force themselves to take players that are needed in the trenches. The only way I see the bills taking a QB is for an immediate trade, and I don't think they're going to get that cute.

It would signal that the Bills yet again picked a bust with a first round pick, or that they aren't patient enought with JP to give him the playing time he needs, or just simply can't force themselves to take players that are needed in the trenches.

611907[/snapback]

Or it could signal something else. Let's say you were Levy, and you didn't know one way or the other whether Losman would work out, but you felt confident Cutler was the next Marino. And let's say you had serious questions about the other players the Bills might take at #8--Ngata et al.

I'm not saying Levy does think these things or should think these things, just that we should be open to all the possibilities.

611829[/snapback]

Because you want them to trade with the Bills not in front of us. Again we are drafting #8 we will get a good player no matter who falls to us unless teams don't take the QB's. If they don't take the QB's you want to be ready for a deal. Remember Brady Quinn is comming out next year. You just might be trading back a few spaces this year and picking up a first next year that could put you in a position to pick Brady Quinn! So you want teams to trade with you. Not in front of you with another team.

Having Tom Donahoe as GM for 5 years has dulled everyone's football senses. What else could explain all the QB draft talk? There is no mystery at all. The Bills will draft the best DL, OL, or defensive player available when they pick. Levy knows you win at the line of scrimmage. Don't expect any TD zig-zags draft day.

PTR

Having Tom Donahoe as GM for 5 years has dulled everyone's football senses.  What else could explain all the QB draft talk?  There is no mystery at all.  The Bills will draft the best DL, OL, or defensive player available when they pick.  Levy knows you win at the line of scrimmage.  Don't expect any TD zig-zags draft day.

PTR

612308[/snapback]

What about a smurf wideout? :rolleyes:

Because you want them to trade with the Bills not in front of us.  Again we are drafting #8 we will get a good player no matter who falls to us unless teams don't take the QB's. 

612193[/snapback]

You forgot rule #1 of the TBD draft board! No matter where the Bills pick in round 1, there will be (Buffalo's pick number - 1) # of marquee 1st round studs that are must have, and buffalo will always miss out and have to reach for a player.

You forgot rule #1 of the TBD draft board! No matter where the Bills pick in round 1, there will be (Buffalo's pick number - 1) # of marquee 1st round studs that are must have, and buffalo will always miss out and have to reach for a player.

612581[/snapback]

After so many bad drafts, fans are left wondering whether the Bills will ever get it right.

You have to remember, teams are going to do what is best FOR THEM.  They are going to draft the players THEY WANT!  A team probably is not going to draft someone that is not a need for them just becaue the Bills want them.  That would just be plain stupid and would hurt their own teams.

Now, I suppose if a team was looking to trade down in hopes of still picking up a player, I could see where that may come into play.  However, every team that trades down for a specific player is taking a huge risk that nobody trades up ahead of them to get that player. 

Also, if teams behind the Bills have an idea of what direction they want to go in, that may be a concern.  However, they are still the ones that have to trade up.  And with draft picks worth so much now a days, it is not the easiest thing to do.  You could really hurt your team by sending draft picks away to move up a few spots.

That being said, I want to give up our 1st and two 3rds to the Jets for D'Brick!  Ha!  I know that might not please a lot of people around here, but I still think that would help us more than hurt us.  BRICK is a franchise LT (not a MW bust.....he just isn't) and you can still get a quality player in the second to really help your team.  Third rounders may take a while to develop and I think we could handle not having them this year. 

Oh well, I know most won't agree with this, but just imagine this line next year if I had my way.......

D'BRICK

GANDY

BENTLEY

VILLERIAL

PETERS

That would be a VERY solid unit and would allow JP to develop into the QB we know he can be.  Time to throw makes a QB.  That would be a great line to allow that to happen!

Oh well, I am just wishing that would happen.....

611563[/snapback]

Perfect, just swap Hutchinson for Gandy. :D