Realistically who should be our #1 target in FA?

Poeticlaw

Considering our needs and the Free Agent market and the competition for those players and the salary cap situation who should be our #1 traget heading into the free agency when it begins?

I believe we should be hard press to do whatever it takes within our constraints to get Lecharles Bentley-C/OG we need a proven player to play the position and its the position he wants to play.

I know the rest of us would like a LT star but it doesnt appear we will able to obtain the ones available.

I would also like to get these players-keep in mind not just as a starter but for overall depth that makes the team better-

These are all good second tier players that could also be starters

RT-Kenyatta Walker

LT-Kevin Shaffer-25

DT-Maak Kimoeatu-27

LBJulian Peterson-27 or LB AKin Ayodele-26

DT-Ian Scott-24

SS-Tank Williams-24

WR-Antonio Bryant-27 or WR David Givens-26

TE/ST-Mike Seidman-25

RB/ST-Chestor taylor-26

OG-Derrick Dockery-25

Considering our needs and the Free Agent market and the competition for those players and the salary cap situation who should be our #1 traget heading into the free agency when it begins?

I believe we should be hard press to do whatever it takes within our constraints to get Lecharles Bentley-C/OG we need a proven player to play the position and its the position he wants to play.

I know the rest of us would like a LT star but it doesnt appear we will able to obtain the ones available.

I would also like to get these players-keep in mind not just as a starter but for overall depth that makes the team better-

RT-Kenyatta Walker

LT-Kevin Shaffer-25

DT-Maak Kimoeatu-27

DT-Ian Scott-24

SS-Tank Williams-24

TE/ST-Mike Seidman-25

RB/ST-Chestor taylor-26

OG-Derrick Dockery-25

611409[/snapback]

I like the list, although I think alot of teams will be looking into Julian Peterson's services.. Chester Taylor probably gets resigned by Baltimore, as they have let Jamal Lewis become a FA.. and you forgot Joe J. is Seattle.. :D

I like the list, although I think alot of teams will be looking into Julian Peterson's services.. Chester Taylor probably gets resigned by Baltimore, as they have let Jamal Lewis become a FA.. and you forgot Joe J. is Seattle..  :D

611427[/snapback]

No i didnt forget him hes giving indications he wants to go to the Browns if he fits into their offensive system.

RT-Kenyatta Walker

LT-Kevin Shaffer-25

DT-Maak Kimoeatu-27

DT-Ian Scott-24

SS-Tank Williams-24

TE/ST-Mike Seidman-25

RB/ST-Chestor taylor-26

OG-Derrick Dockery-25

611409[/snapback]

bentely and kevin shaffer (sp?)

Definitely Shaffter. Bentley isnt going to happen, it would take far too much money to sign him and he'd end up being our only FA move all offseason.

Get Shaffer, solidify the LT position for the next 5 years. Then go after Toniu Fonoti (Guard) or Justin Hartwig (Center) to give us another starter along the O-Line. Whatever position we didnt sign a new player for in free agency, make it our 2nd round pick in the draft.

Definitely Shaffter.  Bentley isnt going to happen, it would take far too much money to sign him and he'd end up being our only FA move all offseason.

Get Shaffer, solidify the LT position for the next 5 years.  Then go after Toniu Fonoti (Guard) or Justin Hartwig (Center) to give us another starter along the O-Line.  Whatever position we didnt sign a new player for in free agency, make it our 2nd round pick in the draft.

611514[/snapback]

haha great! you seem to have it all figured out lol, can we say Marv's replacement? lol

RT-Kenyatta Walker

LT-Kevin Shaffer-25

DT-Maak Kimoeatu-27

DT-Ian Scott-24

SS-Tank Williams-24

TE/ST-Mike Seidman-25

RB/ST-Chestor taylor-26

OG-Derrick Dockery-25

611409[/snapback]

My number 1 target is DT Ryan Pickett age 26.

My number 1 target is DT Ryan Pickett age 26.

611597[/snapback]

IMHO Pickett is not the answer. I know a lot of people have been saying we need more prototypical Cover 2 DTs and Pickett appears to be just that, but what have you seen from him that makes you want him to be a Bill so bad. He's played in a Tampa cover 2 for the last three years without much success. I've watched Pickett plenty of times (My roomates are die hard Rams fans and I'm forced to watch every Rams game not on at the same time as the Bills) and I've never been that impressed. I'd rather have both Sam and Ron E. over Pickett. He does have a pretty sweet Nickname though: Big Grease.

IMHO Pickett is not the answer. I know a lot of people have been saying we need more prototypical Cover 2 DTs and Pickett appears to be just that, but what have you seen from him that makes you want him to be a Bill so bad. He's played in a Tampa cover 2 for the last three years without much success.  I've watched Pickett plenty of times (My roomates are die hard Rams fans and I'm forced to watch every Rams game not on at the same time as the Bills) and I've never been that impressed.  I'd rather have both Sam and Ron E. over Pickett.  He does have a pretty sweet Nickname though: Big Grease.

611667[/snapback]

What I like about Pickett is his age, his experience in a cover 2, he seems to be the best tackling NT out there and likely won't break the bank to sign him. As let's remember for most of last year our NT last year was Tim Anderson. I think Pickett is a much better player than Anderson. Also in signing him we're not forced to take Ngata. Instead we can instead look at a play maker like Michael Huff or a DE like Kiwi or trade down and take another DT like Broderick Bunkley or a TE or OLB that others have been calling for.

Bentley!!!!!!! I just don't know if Shaffer would do so well in another system Malta. If it happens, I'll trust the move. For now, I'm leary.............. I also like as other targets Pickett, Kimoeatu as DT's, Fonoti at G, Tank Williams at SS, and Matt Schobel at TE for extra insurance at the position. Also, looks as if Moulds is gone so throw in Givens and Bryant at WR as well.

Steve Hutchinson. They should tender him an offer sheet sheet at 12:01 AM on the first day of free agency, in an attempt to make him the highest paid OG in the NFL. Where do we get the cap space? By releasing Eric Moulds, of course! Cutting Moulds would fund his contract (at least in terms of cap space) for 2 years, or at least come close. Remember, Moulds does already count toward the 07 cap.

Sure, Seattle can match the offer (within 7 days). If they do, they will be paying HUGE salaries to Jones, Hasselback and now Hutch. Or can they? The fans might not be so thrilled to see Alexander on another team, and he will cost a ton.

If we (admittedly a slim chance) were successful, there seems to be plenty of guys who could step in at RG in this draft. Our OGs would consist of a pro-bowler, and a young prospect.

I am thinking that Willis and JP would be pretty happy.

While guards will never make as much as tackles, IMO, the difference in the implied importance of tackles over guards is vastly overrated. A lousy guard often makes a good tackle almost worthless. Look at even the complete bust Mike Williams. His first years, when guys like Mike Pucillo were next to him, a LOT of Big Mike's troubles were picking up blitzers and stunts, as well as overcompensating for the open floodgate next to him. Often he failed to block either of the two guys advancing into our backfield. The times he was good? Only when Chris Villarial was healthy and playing decent. Then MW could concentrate on his man and his job and he was pretty decent. When Villarial was hurt last year, MW again looked lost.

It happens all the time. Sucessful teams will usually be able to run up the middle, not sweeps. Successful quarterbacks have a yard or more to step up into the pocket. That yard of territory created by the center and the guards is almost as important as the pocket presence required to feel and avoid the onrushing ends that are being blocked by the tackles.

The perceived LT being by far the most important position is also overrated, IMO, because the good ends in today's NFL are at least as likely to be LDE (against RTs), half of the team's plays are running plays and teams tend to run right, and the blindside sacks don't really result in many more injuries. The only real difference to me is a few more fumbles when hit from behind but you see QBs drop the ball hit straight on nearly as much.

We need strength up the middle. Sign a good guard and he will help Preston if he's our center and our tackle next to him. Peters is set at one tackle. We will probably draft a LT project.

We need strength up the middle. Sign a good guard and he will help Preston if he's our center and our tackle next to him. Peters is set at one tackle. We will probably draft a LT project.

611813[/snapback]

Here is the huge problem with this theory though...

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&...=83&rc=16&pid=6

Check out the FA guards available. I dont think we'll have many options to bring in a good guard. At least not one dominating like you described in your post above. A lot of decent guys...but no HUGE stars (not counting Hutch because of the transition tag)

Check out the FA guards available.  I dont think we'll have many options to bring in a good guard.  At least not one dominating like you described in your post above.  A lot of decent guys...but no HUGE stars (not counting Hutch because of the transition tag)

611815[/snapback]

Well that's why I think Hutch or (I am including) Bentley is the way to go. I also think Kendall would be a good choice is he's available and there might be more guys cut.

Check out the FA guards available.  I dont think we'll have many options to bring in a good guard.  At least not one dominating like you described in your post above.  A lot of decent guys...but no HUGE stars (not counting Hutch because of the transition tag)

611815[/snapback]

I appreciate Scout's listing and rankings but does anyone find it disconcerning that they rank former Bill and backup Ross Tucker as the 2nd best OG. Not only that but they rank him ahead of Stephen Neal who started in front of him in New England?

I'm on the bargain watch. I think Brian Finneran would make a great WR addition. At 6' 5 it's like having another TE.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2048

611926[/snapback]

I can't see Atlanta letting Finneran going anywhere as next to Alge Crumpler he's the only guy Michael Vick seems to have any confidence throwing the ball to.