Marv is warning the fans

Gambler

What kind of concrete evidence would satisfy you?  First of all, I HAVE seen many of them in action. Some with the Bills and most elsewhere. They have mediocre records.

Superficially, look at the track records of the coaches hired. Do you see a rich tradition of winning among them? Jauron has the best record and his is mediocre.

Let me ask you why you think the Bills coaching staff is top quality? Are you predicting a winning record in 2006?

Please provide concrete evidence.

I think they will have a losing record in 2006. 6-10 maybe. A couple reasons:

There is no established starting QB, the OL is questionable at best, the DL is equally questionable, the coaching staff has never worked together before, the GM is learning on the job, etc.

610867[/snapback]

This entire argument is silly. And I don't direct this at any one poster. Look, nobody can have concrete evidence of the future so why don't we all talk about our individual predictions? The kiss and make up. I am predicting 9-7 with no particular logic in mind and yes I think I said the same last year and was dead wrong.

This entire argument is silly. And I don't direct this at any one poster. Look, nobody can have concrete evidence of the future so why don't we all talk about our individual predictions? The kiss and make up. I am predicting 9-7 with no particular logic in mind and yes I think I said the same last year and was dead wrong.

610889[/snapback]

Well said.

With my only logic being that we will outscore our opponent in every game, I am predicting 19 and 0. :lol:

What kind of concrete evidence would satisfy you?  First of all, I HAVE seen many of them in action. Some with the Bills and most elsewhere. They have mediocre records.

Superficially, look at the track records of the coaches hired. Do you see a rich tradition of winning among them? Jauron has the best record and his is mediocre.

Let me ask you why you think the Bills coaching staff is top quality? Are you predicting a winning record in 2006?

Please provide concrete evidence.

I think they will have a losing record in 2006. 6-10 maybe. A couple reasons:

There is no established starting QB, the OL is questionable at best, the DL is equally questionable, the coaching staff has never worked together before, the GM is learning on the job, etc.

610867[/snapback]

Dude, you completely miss the point. I didn't predict a winning record; I didn't extol the virtues of the coaching staff. I merely take issue with negative nincompoops like you who cast gloom and doom upon the situation without knowing a damn thing. You know as much about how this coaching staff will perform as you know what color my eyes are.

Dude, you completely miss the point.  I didn't predict a winning record; I didn't extol the virtues of the coaching staff.  I merely take issue with negative nincompoops like you who cast gloom and doom upon the situation without knowing a damn thing.  You know as much about how this coaching staff will perform as you know what color my eyes are.

610914[/snapback]

HOW dare you take that attitude with my children! Shame on you! Go play in the petunias with all the other Pollyanna Pansies!

Gambler (and my other fine young children), don't listen to these people. They are mean, mean people trying to raise your hopes about your favorite team. Don't believe them, or you might feel disappointment when they do fail (AND THEY WILL!!!!). I mean, you'll feel disappointment anyway, but won't it feel good to be able to link back to this thread and say "AHA! I told you so!!!!!" That year spent being miserable about the Bills' chances will melt away with the glow of being right about it.

Remember, my children, there is only one future...

Christ, this is a 5-11 team...we need Marv to "warn" us of the fact that we have a loooong way to go before even smelling the playoffs?

610699[/snapback]

Good point Ned. If anybody here thinks that we should have a sniff of the playoffs next year then I'll take a hit from that pipe! I am happy that Marv is honest and upfront with the fans.

Or, you can label me a diehard nut!

How is it so difficult to imagine the Bills having a winning record in 2006?

Here's the '06 opposition:

Home: Dolphins, Jaguars, Jets, Packers, Patriots, Titans, Vikings, Chargers

Away: Bears, Colts, Dolphins, Jets, Lions, Patriots, Texans, Ravens

We should beat both the Dolphin and Jets twice, plus Green Bay, Minnesota, Detroit, and Houston.  We should be able to at least split with the Patsies - they're not the team they once were, have lost their second OC in as many years, and Brady has shown that he's not infallible - and I can see us picking up another 2 wins against the remaining teams (Jaguars, Titans, Chargers, Bears, Colts, Ravens).

I'm not saying we're going 19 and 0 (OK - I am until our first loss), but given the new coaching staff, a positive attitude, and a few improvements on the field and heck, we damned well oughta have a winning season and a shot at the playoffs!  No?

610800[/snapback]

Take a look at that schedule and tell me where we will win even 7 games this year.

Home - Wins - Jets, Packers, Dolphins Maybe and Titans Maybe.

Away - Jets Maybe (but I doubt if they sweep them), Lions maybe and Texans maybe

That would be 7 wins IF the maybe's turn into "W"'s.

More realistically 6-10 like I said before and that would be a GOOD year considering:

We don't know who are QB will be.

Willis needs to seriously step it up this season.

We don't have a reliable TE at this time.

Our Offensive Line is one of the WORST in the league.

We need a #1 WR.

Our defensive Line is one of the WORST in the league.

Our Lb's are good but probably not pefect for the Cover2.

Our safeties are ancient.

Our Corners are solid.

Bottom Line - And Marv once said it - To win in the league you have to run the ball and stop the run, we don't do either and as I pointed out we have some serious holes to fill to even think about a sniff at 8-8. This team is piss poor at this time and needs a serious face lift to get back into contention.

Period!

Take a look at that schedule and tell me where we will win even 7 games this year.

611254[/snapback]

Umm...I believe I did. :D

We don't know who are [sic] QB will be.

611254[/snapback]

True, but is the fact that we don't know a guarantee that whoever it is will suck?

Suppose we pick up Josh McCown, and he blows JP and Holcomb away in training camp? Or suppose JP comes into his own this season, as many hope and think he will? We know that we will have a starting QB - we don't know that he will suck.

Willis needs to seriously step it up this season.

611254[/snapback]

Who's to say he won't? Mularkey isn't calling the plays this season, and what I've heard from Fairchild indicates that he wants to run the ball hard.

We don't have a reliable TE at this time.

611254[/snapback]

True, but then we also haven't seen what Kevin Everett can do, or had the chance to explore TE's in the draft or free agency. Everett was touted as a Kellen Winslow type of TE - why don't we give him the chance to show what he's got before writing him off? He might be reliable - he might even be great - we just don't know it yet.

Our Offensive Line is one of the WORST in the league.

611254[/snapback]

Substitute "was" for "is" - we have no idea what the OL will look like this Fall, other than Mike Williams is gone, and free agency and the draft are coming up.

We need a #1 WR.

611254[/snapback]

As of now, we still have Eric Moulds and Lee Evans, no?

Our defensive Line is one of the WORST in the league.

611254[/snapback]

Again, substitute "was" for "is" - we have no idea what the DL will look like this Fall, and free agency and the draft are coming up.

Our Lb's are good but probably not pefect for the Cover2.

611254[/snapback]

Not sure how to respond - I'm happy with our LBs - especially if Spikes comes back healthy.

Our safeties are ancient.

611254[/snapback]

Maybe, but not sure if they've reached the point of incompetence - I'll leave that to the coaching staff. Again - free agency, draft, trades.

Our Corners are solid.

611254[/snapback]

Eureka...one less thing! :D

And I agree with Marv that to win you have to run the ball and stop the run. I think Marv agrees with himself too - which is why I believe that's exactly the type of team he'll be putting on the field this season.

Now just 'cause you punctuate your post with "Period!", that does not make your opinion an irrefutable, incontrovertible statement of fact, does it? :lol:

Can't we at least wait for the the draft, free agent aquistitions, trades, OTAs, and training camp - before we say the team sux? We don't even know what the starting lineup looks like!

Question mark. :lol:

The coaching staff is not top quality. Can't anybody be honest on this board or is it constant cheerleading all the time?

610759[/snapback]

So that's your proof? The coaching staff is not high quality...because I said so??

A few posts back, someone asked you to offer some reasons for your statement. As I expected, you can't offer one. I'm guessing the only reason you hate our coaching staff is because they aren't names you've heard of, and they weren't hyped by ESPN.

I don't think most people on the board are "cheerleading." We are just giving the new staff the benefit of the doubt. Just because we aren't jumping off the Peace Bridge with you, don't assume it's a Jauron love fest. But there's no point in being negative now.

PTR

So that's your proof?  The coaching staff is not high quality...because I said so??

A few posts back, someone asked you to offer some reasons for your statement.  As I expected, you can't offer one.  I'm guessing the only reason you hate our coaching staff is because they aren't names you've heard of, and they weren't hyped by ESPN.

I don't think most people on the board are "cheerleading."  We are just giving the new staff the benefit of the doubt.  Just because we aren't jumping off the Peace Bridge with you, don't assume it's a Jauron love fest.  But there's no point in being negative now.

No worries. Just use the logic of Gambler, he of the 134 posts, to dismiss his posts. I mean, who ever heard of Gambler before?

Can't we at least wait for the the draft, free agent aquistitions, trades, OTAs, and training camp - before we say the team sux?  We don't even know what the starting lineup looks like!

Question mark. :D

611330[/snapback]

Thats My point!!! As in right now the team sucks!!! Right now!! With that said however, we might be able to add some talent in Free Agency and in the Draft and if we do we could be competitive. But as I pointed out our puzzle has too many pieces missing for us to turn this around in one season. If we're lucky we could add lets say four starters in Free Agency and the Draft which isn't enough to make this team any more than a 6-10 team at best. I'm hoping for the best and am willing to give this team a chance, but sorry to say Im a realist! :lol:

If Marv is warning the fans, he's also warning potential free agent signees (to stay away).

This was a self serving statement designed to keep the pressure off his regime. Meanwhile free agents read this. In the end, we'll attract the guys who play only for the money and not the guys who need to win. Way to go Marv, great marketing!

So that's your proof?  The coaching staff is not high quality...because I said so??

A few posts back, someone asked you to offer some reasons for your statement.  As I expected, you can't offer one.  I'm guessing the only reason you hate our coaching staff is because they aren't names you've heard of, and they weren't hyped by ESPN.

I don't think most people on the board are "cheerleading."  We are just giving the new staff the benefit of the doubt.  Just because we aren't jumping off the Peace Bridge with you, don't assume it's a Jauron love fest.  But there's no point in being negative now.

PTR

611414[/snapback]

Don't set up a straw man argument. I have heard of all of them. I have even heard of all the coaches who have turned down offers from the Bills. Wonder why?

I've actually looked at the coaching histories of the staff and they have less than impressive records of winning. Using win loss records is not perfect, but it is one way to evaluate the quality of someone's coaching success. Another way is to evaluate a guy like Jauron who as a defensive coordinator ran a defense that was in the bottom third of the league. For those of you who can't comprehend very well, that is a reason.

Now I have a question for all you posters who are more impressed by the gross number of posts than by anything else:

What makes you think that a collection of coaches who have been coaching for anywhere between 5-30 years and have a collective proven track record of mediocre results will all of a sudden become winning coaches in Buffalo?

What great things will they show to the Buffalo fans that they have been hiding for all these years?

I know a lot of you guys have practiced your insulting skills so I won't bother getting into a name calling contest.

Impress me with your answers as to why the Bills coaching staff is going to be great.

I'll wait for you to enlighten me why my view that they are mediocre is wrong.

Don't set up a straw man argument. I have heard of all of them. I have even heard of all the coaches who have turned down offers from the Bills. Wonder why?

I've actually looked at the coaching histories of the staff and they have less than impressive records of winning. Using win loss records is not perfect, but it is one way to evaluate the quality of someone's coaching success. Another way is to evaluate a guy like Jauron who as a defensive coordinator ran a defense that was in the bottom third of the league.  For those of you who can't comprehend very well, that is a reason.

Now I have a question for all you posters who are more impressed by the gross number of posts than by anything else:

What makes you think that a collection of coaches who have been coaching for anywhere between 5-30 years and have a collective proven track record of  mediocre results will all of a sudden become winning coaches in Buffalo?

What great things will they show to the Buffalo fans that they have been hiding for all these years?

I know a lot of you guys have practiced your insulting skills so I won't bother getting into a name calling contest.

Impress me with your answers as to why the Bills coaching staff is going to be great.

611637[/snapback]

:D:lol::lol:

Mister "Yes I know that record isn't the only way to evaluate a coach" seems to be stuck on using it.

Impress me with your answer as to why the Bills coaching staff is going to be mediocre

I'll wait for you to enlighten me why my view that we should wait and see is wrong.

611637[/snapback]

If you want to go on past results, sure, the coaches with the Bills had mediocre results.

How did Marv do before he was coach of the Buffalo Bills?

How was Joe Torre perceived as a manager before he took over the New York Yankees?

Was Bill Belichek considered a great coach before he took over New England? SO many Browns fans COULDNT WAIT to get BB out of town, think they want to take that back now?

Here is the thing: Jauron's record with Buffalo is a whopping 0-0....it is impossible to sit here and give you 100 reasons why DJ might be a bad coach or be a good coach in Buffalo.

In Chicago, DJ had an incompentent GM to go along with a cheap owner who did not give him the right tools (meaning $ for players) to succeed. Maybe things will be different in Buffalo, who knows.

Time will tell, and let's just see how it all shakes out.

no, go find the guy that life gave tequila

and have a party  :D

611776[/snapback]

Yes, that is a better option. But, if you can't find the tequila guy, limoncello will still get you drunk.