It's Official....Bills Release OT Mike Williams!

Mike32282

A. Held out a large enough chunk of his first year that he cost his team badly in terms of performance and himself badly as his rookie year was essentially a lost year of development for him.

610117[/snapback]

You know Fake Fat Sunny keeps harping on this too but it is a really stupid argument.

Players are paid by slotting based on where they were picked. McKinnie was the number 7 overall pick in the draft. The Vikings offered him a contract below the number 8 overall pick in the draft and less than the number 7 overall pick from the year before. All McKinnie asked for was a contract commensurate with his slotting. It was the Vikings that wouldn't make that offer until almost half the season was over.

There are two sides to every negotiation. Only an idiot would look at only one side of the issue.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow its nice to see how marv showed how big his balls are!! and people are dissing him and thinking he is clueless..the guy did in a month what tommyboy couldnt do during his tenure..this is a very positive sign that marv is serious about building a great team..go bills in'06

Clearly MW deserve ridicule for letting this region and Bills fans down, but this in no way clears McKinnie from also deserving ridicule for his play and personality.

610117[/snapback]

I'm disinclined to buy into that- a player in the NFL is not so far removed from a prospect in the general workforce- the market sets compensation levels and the prospect markets his talents each period prior to a salary round and sometimes he gets lucky and sometimes he doesn't. At the same time sometimes the employer gets lucky and sometimes they don't- the employer takes advice from his delegates and hopes to come out in the black- at least as far as his balance sheet against the competition- and yet the scrutiny of the big ticket items is at a deservedly higher level. Whether that opens them up to ridicule is where I'd deviate- if the prospect or player is a bigmouth and invites a higher level of scrutiny, ridicule might very well become a just desert- but for low-profile guys I find it hard to ridicule them for their business decisions made outside of the public eye.

Although he still eats up a lot of cap room this year, next year we'll be able to add yet another player without his dead money. Of course the players/owners need to come to terms with a new deal.

I think we'll be a good team in a couple of years -so Marv, cut the dead weight now to help us in the future...

Get R Done!

You know Fake Fat Sunny keeps harping on this too but it is a really stupid argument.

Players are paid by slotting based on where they were picked.  McKinnie was the number 7 overall pick in the draft.  The Vikings offered him a contract below the number 8 overall pick in the draft and less than the number 7 overall pick from the year before.  All McKinnie asked for was a contract commensurate with his slotting.  It was the Vikings that wouldn't make that offer until almost half the season was over.

There are two sides to every negotiation.  Only an idiot would look at only one side of the issue.

610132[/snapback]

You are exactly correct. Thank you for reminding the revisionists what actually happened.

610132[/snapback]

I'm thinkin', "Scraps knows"...but, then again, he hasn't been around a lot...so MAYBE he doesn't.

Scraps knows...right?

Chris Brown comments on MW's release: http://buffalobills.com/blog/?post_id=123

610212[/snapback]

Unfortunately a growing trend with Texas Longhorns players is they're very well taken care of in Austin by the University and the community. Everything is handed to them. They get spoiled, and then when they get to the NFL where nothing is handed to you and you have to work for everything, they're suddenly ill prepared. At the same time they easily remember how good they had it in Austin and some... and I stress some don't want to work to get better or excel at the NFL level. The results are players like Mike Williams. There's concern in this year's draft that Texas DT Rodrique Wright will have the same kind of problem in the pros among other Longhorns. Again there are exceptions, but I think it'll be a long time before the Bills tap the University at Texas for an offensive or defensive lineman any time soon.
Amen to that. I'll take Huff, but just say NO to Wright or Scott on Day 1.

Chris Brown comments on MW's release: http://buffalobills.com/blog/?post_id=123

610212[/snapback]

Interesting read...

I know the MW situation was discussed here to absolute death over the past couple Years, but is there really any question about the fact that Williams problems were always in his desire?

His desire to get down to a decent weight in order to give him the chance to excell...

His desire to work tirelessly on his technique. Especially his footwork and quickness...

His desire to play through pain to win over his Locker Room...

His desire to even sniff his mass potential...

His desire to step away from the freaking buffet line...

I could really care less what anyone says about the potential of these Massive Linemen anymore...It's just not worth the risk at the top part of the 1st Round...You are going to hand crazy guaranteed money to a Kid who will now be free to eat to his hearts content...No thanks...:lol:

Holy crap.

Good god, what a busted pick. I know he graded high coming out, but the one thing that the Bills failed to take into consideration is HEART and DESIRE.

Big Mike has little of either.

And he NEVER had great feet...so WTF...

God, look at the long list of who was available...I know I know, you can't play the hindsight game...but when you cut a #4 overall pick only 4 years after his selection, it sets you back.

What a fuggin marshmallow. He'll get snatched up quickly, though. I'm surprised we didn't try to do a sign and trade. The kid has value.

609819[/snapback]

That and he was over-weight coming out of college. never a good sign.

Ummm... we don't.  Please don't tell me Crowell who is pushed around in the running game.  Plus who knows what the status or ability of Spikes will be when he comes back.  In fact we maybe drafting LB on the first day regardless of Spikes.  Crowell is a good backup but he should only be in on passing plays.

609938[/snapback]

Howsabout Julian Peterson?

I'm surprised we didn't try to do a sign and trade. The kid has value.

609819[/snapback]

How do you do a sign and trade when the player is already under contract?

and who would be willing to trade for Fat Mike and have to pick up his existing contract - especially when the Bills would most likely have to cut him anyway because the 30% rule prevents them from cutting his salary to make him match his value?

Unfortunately a growing trend with Texas Longhorns players is they're very well taken care of in Austin by the University and the community. Everything is handed to them. They get spoiled, and then when they get to the NFL where nothing is handed to you and you have to work for everything, they're suddenly ill prepared. At the same time they easily remember how good they had it in Austin and some... and I stress some don't want to work to get better or excel at the NFL level. The results are players like Mike Williams. There's concern in this year's draft that Texas DT Rodrique Wright will have the same kind of problem in the pros among other Longhorns. Again there are exceptions, but I think it'll be a long time before the Bills tap the University at Texas for an offensive or defensive lineman any time soon.

Wonder how our resident Longhorns apologist feels about this little ditty...