It's Official....Bills Release OT Mike Williams!

Mike32282

Yet look at the target numbers Reed was the target far less than Evans and Moulds. So his pencentile of drops was much higher. I don't hate Reed, infact I've been one of his supporters throughout the years but depth WRs are a dime a dozen in today's NFL. As let's not forget Reed replaced Bobby Shaw.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mel Kiper's take shortly after the 2002 draft:

4. Buffalo -- Mike Williams, OT, Texas

I had Williams rated ahead of Bryant McKinnie after the knee injury wasn't viewed as a concern. He could step in at either right or left tackle. At Texas, he protected the blind side of Chris Simms at right tackle, but he has prior experience at left tackle. He is a great pass blocker and is exceptional at sustaining blocks as a run blocker. He is nimble at 375 pounds, often getting downfield to help spring running backs for large gains. He has enough polish to step in and be an immediate starter and anchor on the Bills' offensive line.

I'm not one to cast blame. I put as much analysis in my stock picks (maybe more) than these guys do in draft picks. And still it's about 50/50 whether it'll pan out. The key is to keep your winners and cut your losses. They cut a loss today.

Let's move on.

Oh sure he took an oversized atheltic tightend and moved him to right tackle where he played okay oin passing downs but got tossed around like a rag doll on running plays.

I hate this assesment of Peters, if you watch the last five games there was obviously something wrong with Chris V. because he was the one getting tossed around on run plays. He had to be more hurt than he let on because in his career he's been a pretty good run blocking guard. On back to back plays he got totally turned around on the goaline in the Cincy game. I have every game Tivo'd (don't ask why) and the statement that Peters can't run block is simply not true, watch the Jets game he's killing people the whole game. And he has the quickness to get to the second level in a hurry, watch the long Lee Evans reverse and see who is out in front blocking (twenty five yards down the field), its Peters. I'd like to see Mike "titties" Williams do that.

My goodness, what in the tarnation we gonna do with this OLine?

Assuming Teague goes, Chris V is the ONLY proven NFL lineman we got.

I will be ill if we line up with the gandy man and benny and the jets on the left side.

My guess is, address DLine in the draft (start with Ngata), & patch up the OLine in free agency. Need to sign at least 2 proven OLineman as FAs.

So much for the Donahoe guys, marv is gutting them!

I hate this assesment of Peters, if you watch the last five games there was obviously something wrong with Chris V. because he was the one getting tossed around on run plays.  He had to be more hurt than he let on because in his career he's been a pretty good run blocking guard.  On back to back plays he got totally turned around on the goaline in the Cincy game.  I have every game Tivo'd (don't ask why) and the statement that Peters can't run block is simply not true,  watch the Jets game he's killing people the whole game.  And he has the quickness to get to the second level in a hurry, watch the long Lee Evans reverse and see who is out in front blocking (twenty five yards down the field), its Peters.  I'd like to see Mike "titties" Williams do that.

I don't buy it either. Williams started the first 6 games and Peters started the last 10 games. McGahee's rushing average to the right for the season was 4.0, which was about equal to the 4.1 he had rushing to the left. Given that Peters played more and McGahee still averaged the average for the year, it tells me Peters was doing fine.

Totally agree Stl Bills. To say Peters got tossed around on running plays is just way off. Peters should have been playing Oline since college. The converted TE stuff is bogus. Yeah, a 328 lb. TE. I don't think so. As for Williams, he was our best run blocker over ANYBODY on the roster, and not as bad in pass pro as some aroundhere made him out to be. In the end, his cap hit was just way too f@#W@$ much. Well, time to change my signiture................ :devil:

Totally agree Stl Bills. To say Peters got tossed around on running plays is just way off. Peters should have been playing Oline since college. The converted TE stuff is bogus. Yeah, a 328 lb. TE. I don't think so. As for Williams, he was our best run blocker over ANYBODY on the roster, and not as bad in pass pro as some aroundhere made him out to be. In the end, his cap hit was just way too f@#W@$ much. Well, time to change my signiture................ :devil:

610064[/snapback]

Jason Peters i believe is just as fast as Keyshawn Johnson. Not like that's saying much, but damn that is fast for a 325 pound person.

Note Reed is our best receiver at 8.9 and is only the 48th best in the NFl based on this stats.  Evans is 50th at 7.6 and Moulds 56th at 6.5.  Notice that Reed catches 60% of the balls thrown his way, Evans only 53%, and Moulds who really is our clutch receiver is 63%. 

You way underestimate Reed, and his abilities, and are too much looking at write-ups and lemmings mentality.  He is easily one of our top 3 receivers and possibly our 2nd best.  And no Evans isn't #1. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

610019[/snapback]

Nope he only had dropsies in one game.  Beyond that he was pretty much catching everything thrown his way.

610020[/snapback]

I have every game Tivo'd (don't ask why)

watch the long Lee Evans reverse and see who is out in front blocking (twenty five yards down the field), its Peters.  I'd like to see Mike "titties" Williams do that.

610035[/snapback]

Stl, I gotta ask, why? :lol: Wait this is perfect!! Bravo! I know why, so you can go and verify this kind of nonsense.

Please, please go back and look at every game and tell me how many times Reed drops a ball! :lol:

Look at VA's claims:

Our best receiver,

dropsies only in one game.

only three drops all year,

pretty much catches everything thrown his way,

is one of our three best receivers,

(don't worry about that last one, I'll give him that one :doh: )

And claims I am following the lemmings! :lol:

Stl, I really need your help with this. The good news is I think you will only have to watch three games at most to cancel all of these claims!

Although, you might watch them and surmise that Sam Aiken could possibly be one of our three best receivers! :D

VA, put it down or pass it man :devil:

By the way Stl, great point of Peters vs Big Mike!!!

Can someone refresh my memory here, but didnt Reed have that problem for just several games in one year?  I do not remember Reed having this issue last year.

609988[/snapback]

Reed doesn't have good hands, he has GREAT hands...among the best I've ever seen. With that said, he seems to have a 2-cent head and, possibly, a motivation or substance abuse issue. His series of drops were NEVER related to his hands. He'd drop a wide open easy pass...then catch one over the wrong shoulder while being whacked by a DB. His drops were due to poor concentration,

IMO...he may have also been trying to do too much at times.

Josh can block, run, etc. I have little doubt he'll be a stud somewhere...maybe here. I wouldn;'t be surprised if Marv sees a little Andre Reed in Josh. Of course, the decision to keep or cut him will depend on how bad his head is and if he really has poor work habits or a substance problem. There's also a problem with his current contract, IMO.

There's also a problem with his current contract, IMO.

610070[/snapback]

Like what?

I think part of his problem is his chin strap is way to tight!

I will say I thought he looked tough enough to be an excellent slot receiver. But we move on. Roscoe is not tough enough to do it. Hopefully he makes up for that by being overly fast and keeps his head up.

The Bills have released offensive lineman Mike Williams. “We are announcing today that we have released Mike Williams,” Bills general manager Marv Levy said. “We appreciate his efforts and wish him well in what lies ahead in his career.” Williams was selected by the Bills with the fourth overall pick in the 2002 Draft and was Buffalo's highest draft pick since Bruce Smith (#1 overall in 1985).

http://www.buffalobills.com/

609798[/snapback]

wOOt! Now were going somewhere with this team. I'm smelling playoffs! :devil:

You mean that it's about to end?  He is a free agent whenever that period actually starts...unrestricted too.

610076[/snapback]

Yup...my bad. Had that confused. I thought he was due the ass-end of his last contract. Given his free agent status, he'd probably be easy to keep, should Marv choose to do so.

I hate this assesment of Peters, if you watch the last five games there was obviously something wrong with Chris V. because he was the one getting tossed around on run plays.  He had to be more hurt than he let on because in his career he's been a pretty good run blocking guard.  On back to back plays he got totally turned around on the goaline in the Cincy game.  I have every game Tivo'd (don't ask why) and the statement that Peters can't run block is simply not true,  watch the Jets game he's killing people the whole game.  And he has the quickness to get to the second level in a hurry, watch the long Lee Evans reverse and see who is out in front blocking (twenty five yards down the field), its Peters.  I'd like to see Mike "titties" Williams do that.

610035[/snapback]

YES!

Finally someone gets it. Our running liabilities were on the inside. And a bulk of our run plays were called to the inside. When your supposed O-Line leader is injured, getting busted past or committing egregious penalties, or when your center is stepping on the QB's feet on the third step of a drop, or when your tub of lard LG is getting replaced by a deposed RT, you're not going to be doing anything well, especially running to the inside. I'm hoping for either a resurgence from Villarial due to a re-connection with Jauron, or the grooming of a tough young guard to anchor that right side with Peters.

Peters was doing fine and improving on the line. He was our best OL at the end of last year. Although I think Chhris V is a great guy he has lost it. He was bad last year. Peters fits into Marv and Jauron's idea of having athletic tackles and then having big strong guys guard to guard. We had a very bad G-C-G trio last year. That area needs huge improvement.

As for MW, his cap figure is what crushed him. He is a good, nice guy who definitely needs a change of scenery. He could do well in Houston playing back home in Texas. But he is another example of guys from U of Texas who vastly disappoint there NFL teams. I have heard some scouts say they are hesitant to take guys from UT--maybe there is something to it. They say it has more to do with motivation etc.. when they get to the NFL and not talent. They have the talent, they just have a tough time transitioning to the NFL.

Some of you can ridicule McKinnie as you will, but he was never benched nor switched to Guard. If McKinnie would have been selected, he along with Jennings would have been a formidable pair of OTs.

609965[/snapback]

I was going to read through all 6 pages of this thread and comment on the most interesting posts, but this one stopped me at page 4 because these comments cannot go without a reply based on reality.

1. Please. Simply being better than MW does not save one from ridicule. MW deserves grief and ridicule because he never played up to the predictions of the learned draft pundits (one site of the Bushchbaum level thiough I do not remember exactly who it was had him as a lock to be a solid pro for years) and certainly not to the level of his contract. As a person he is laughing all the way to the bank, but as an athlete he is a failure.

Though McKinnie lasted longer than MW with the team which drafted him (it is still debatable which is a better athlete since each has about a year and a half of food play out of their 4 years under contract so far) he easily deserves ridicule for his own adequate at best play (the year and a half of his 4) and his stupidity and shenanaigans off the field.

Why does McKinnie deserve ridicule?

A. Held out a large enough chunk of his first year that he cost his team badly in terms of performance and himself badly as his rookie year was essentially a lost year of development for him.

B. Was mediocre at best his first full season in play on the field.

C. Added insult to injury by being one of the lead participants on the Vikes sex-party boat.

D, Added foolish weakness to the insult added to the injury if his mediocre at best on field performance with a drunk driving charge.

Clearly MW deserve ridicule for letting this region and Bills fans down, but this in no way clears McKinnie from also deserving ridicule for his play and personality.

2. Even if you want to overlook reality and claim that McKinnie will build on a not bad year last year (not great but not bad) thanks to Brad Johnson's decision-making and quick release, the idea that McKinnie would have teamed with JJ to make a great pair for the Bills overlooks the fact that Jennings was never worth more than vet minimum payment for his play.

SF was really stupid to pay JJ a huge amount of $ when he hit FA because his play as Bill indicated he clearly wsd no worth full time pay as this injury prone player never ever never has played fulltime in the NFL.

He has failed in every season to even start all 16 (or even 15 as his best season saw 14 starts. When one takes into account that both of these missed starts came after he missed the crunch time of previous games (I think it was a concussion once and a muscle tear or sprain the other time) he actually was unable to play all or substantial parts of 1/4 of his best season.

I think the injury which put JJ on the IR for SF this year is pretty good proof that it is fair to label him as injury prone. Every NFL player gets nicked and it happens so they play through the pain (its part of why they get the big bucks). As you gain experience a player also can be subject to a recurring injury to some spot on his body that may cost him some time.

However, i think JJ clearly has earned the label of being injury prone as because like RJ, it was not one injury that was a recurring problem, but a wide variety of injuries to various parts of this athlete's body which cut him down. He was injury prone in that he could be cut down not by an opponent picking on a weakness in his body or him failing to protect and favor an injury, but because he was prone to be injured in a wide variety of places/

Even worse, though some athletes and people simply suck it up and play through the pain, the injuries consistently cost him PT and performance.

Rag on MW all you want because in addition to wishing him well this is the time to do it because he failed us. However, trying to do this by comparing him to McKinnie simply overlooks too many real flaws in BM's game and personality. To then try to rag on MW by somehow claiming that BM and JJ would have been great together simply defies logic.

I was going to read through all 6 pages of this thread and comment on the most interesting posts, but this one stopped me at page 4 because these comments cannot go without a reply based on reality.

1. Please. Simply being better than MW does not save one from ridicule.  MW deserves grief and ridicule because he never played up to the predictions of the learned draft pundits (one site of the Bushchbaum level thiough I do not remember exactly who it was had him as a lock to be a solid pro for years) and certainly not to the level of his contract.  As a person he is laughing all the way to the bank, but as an athlete he is a failure.

Though McKinnie lasted longer than MW with the team which drafted him (it is still debatable which is a better athlete since each has about a year and a half of food play out of their 4 years under contract so far) he easily deserves ridicule for his own adequate at best play (the year and a half of his 4) and his stupidity and shenanaigans off the field.

Why does McKinnie deserve ridicule?

A. Held out a large enough chunk of his first year that he cost his team badly in terms of performance and himself badly as his rookie year was essentially a lost year of development for him.

B. Was mediocre at best his first full season in play on the field.

C. Added insult to injury by being one of the lead participants on the Vikes sex-party boat.

D, Added foolish weakness to the insult added to the injury if his mediocre at best on field performance with a drunk driving charge.

Clearly MW deserve ridicule for letting this region and Bills fans down, but this in no way clears McKinnie from also deserving ridicule for his play and personality.

2.  Even if you want to overlook reality and claim that McKinnie will build on a not bad year last year (not great but not bad) thanks to Brad Johnson's decision-making and quick release, the idea that McKinnie would have teamed with JJ to make a great pair for the Bills overlooks the fact that  Jennings was never worth more than vet minimum payment for his play.

SF was really stupid to pay JJ a huge amount of $ when he hit FA because his play as Bill indicated he clearly wsd no worth full time pay as this injury prone player never ever never has played fulltime in the NFL.

He has failed in every season to even start all 16 (or even 15 as his best season saw 14 starts.  When one takes into account that both of these missed starts came after he missed the crunch time of previous games (I think it was a concussion once and a muscle tear or sprain the other time) he actually was unable to play all or substantial parts of 1/4 of his best season.

I think the injury which put JJ on the IR for SF this year is pretty good proof that it is fair to label him as injury prone.  Every NFL player gets nicked and it happens so they play through the pain (its part of why they get the big bucks).  As you gain experience a player also can be subject to a recurring injury to some spot on his body that may cost him some time.

However, i think JJ clearly has earned the label of being injury prone as because like RJ, it was not one injury that was a recurring problem, but a wide variety of injuries to various parts of this athlete's body which cut him down.  He was injury prone in that he could be cut down not by an opponent picking on a weakness in his body or him failing to protect and favor an injury, but because he was prone to be injured in a wide variety of places/

Even worse, though some athletes and people simply suck it up and play through the pain, the injuries consistently cost him PT and performance.

Rag on MW all you want because in addition to wishing him well this is the time to do it because he failed us.  However, trying to do this by comparing him to McKinnie simply overlooks too many real flaws in BM's game and personality.  To then try to rag on MW by somehow claiming that BM and JJ would have been great together simply defies logic.

610117[/snapback]

Good post. And objective and thoughtful--rare on this board!