Hey Wall Golfers, what is in your bag?

ACor58

It is good to hear nice things about the Nickent utility clubs...That might be my next acquisition.....

Taylor made driver,,,,

Taylor Fairway wood

Ping Irons...Old

25 year old Ram Zebra putter...I just can't let it go....

Titleists....

Buffalo Bills Umbrella.

After reading the previous offerings I need to upgrade, but that'll wait until my TWO daus are outta college...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver:

-None. After 20 years of that damned thing getting me in trouble 6-8 times/round, one morning I threw it up on an inaccesable part of my buddies roof before a round so that I couldn't succumb to the temptation of putting it back in my bag before we left. I immediately dropped 6 strokes off my average and am now using a $19WalMart driving iron off the blocks because it puts me 260 up the pipe every single time.

Irons:

-An eclectic rust-spotted mix of various cheap clubs I've gathered over the last 25 years. I couldn't name a single one of them w/o reading from the heads.

Putter:

-I have 2. One's a 10year old homemade long putter that's deadly inside 20'. The other is this 1950's style length of balsaweight iron that used to be my grandfather's and I use it in his honor for longer rolls.

Balls:

-A bunch of those ones you buy out of the fishbowl for a buck each in the proshop.

Shoes:

-None

Accessories:

-A red softback cooler that holds about 2 cokes and 15 beers with ice and has a side pocket that keeps my firecrackers dry for when I need to play some defense.

-An attitude that makes me the most enjoyable cart partner in this part of Western Pennsyltucky.

-Imperturbable nerves and an immeasurable tolerance for booze and abuse.

Hell, you put a shovel, 4' of garden hose, an empty papertowel tube, 9 strips of ducttape and a 12pack in my bag and I'll whup anybody in this thread. :devil:

I was replacing the sticks for the year, and the choice came down to a good price on the MP30's or the Cobra Forged CB's.  I really liked them both but got the Cobras for $200 less so went with them instead.  Good sticks todd.

609924[/snapback]

Love the Mizunos. I've never hit the cobras, but I used to have a cobra driver that I loved.

Love the Mizunos. I've never hit the cobras, but I used to have a cobra driver that I loved.

610659[/snapback]

I can't stand Cobra drivers. The offset is fugly and unhittable for me. The Cobras and Mp30 are very similar IMHO, both have little to no offset, both are forged, both have a small cavity to help some but a more traditional size head so they don't look like shovels.

Driver/3 wood: Callaway Hawk Eye VFT

Irons: Ping G2s

Wedges: Titleist Vokey, 54,58 degree (oil can finish)

Putter: Ping Isopur (anser model)

The putter is the oldest thing in the bag, but I'm never getting rid of that. The first thing to go would be the woods if I ever decide to spend some money.

I can't stand Cobra drivers.  The offset is fugly and unhittable for me.  The Cobras and Mp30 are very similar IMHO, both have little to no offset, both are forged, both have a small cavity to help some but a more traditional size head so they don't look like shovels.

610674[/snapback]

So why use the offset? I have a conventional Cobra and love it.

Driver: Cobra 440 SZ

3&5 Wood: Cobra SZ

3-PW: Tommy Armour Hot Scots

51 & 56: Tommy Armour

Putter: STX Greenjoy

Balls: Nike One Gold or ProV's (company logo when I can get my hands on them!)

Let me also say that I bought a pair of Footjoy e-comfort shoes last year. BY FAR the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.

I can't stand Cobra drivers.  The offset is fugly and unhittable for me.  The Cobras and Mp30 are very similar IMHO, both have little to no offset, both are forged, both have a small cavity to help some but a more traditional size head so they don't look like shovels.

610674[/snapback]

I am with you on the Cobra Drivers. Nice to look at but do not have any custom shaft options. I hit all 5 options on my titleist before I decided on the Grafalloy Prolite. The right shaft can make a lot of difference.

Ping G-2 driver 10*

Ping g-2 3-metal

Ping s-59 blade/hybrid irons 3-p

Ping g-2 SW

Ping 60 * L-wedge

Ping ZING putter

ball- pinnacle, or calloway black (preffered)

In Arizona, this is the perfect time of year to play golf, if you are well off. I wont pay 40-300 bucks a round. I will wait till july and play for 10 bucks in 110* heat... :lol:

Question for y'all:

Do you guys think that all that pricey brand-name equipment really has a significant positive effect on your game(s)?

Or do y'all buy newer updated sticks all the time because you feel like you've got to keep up w/ the Joneses and you don't want guys looking in your bag and seeing ratty old clubs?

Or do you buy the latest and greatest all the time just because it's fun to buy new toys and check out new stuff?

Thanx.

Well the new technology definatly helps, but buying a new driver every year doesnt make sense. I played my Firesole driver for about 4 or 5 years til I bought my R7 quad this past summer...my driving accuracy improved tremendously just by changing clubs. Also recorded a new long drive of about 345 yards....right into a greenside pond (I still stand by my story that a fish actually jumped out of the pond and caught my ball.)

Irons on the otherhand havent really changed that much and their technological turnover rate is probably about 7-10 years before some company really makes a huge difference. There is really only so much you can do with an iron head...make the face a little thinner, the impact area a little broader, change the weighting to match swing tendencies.

Basically I look at replacing clubs only when there has been a significant change in the club design, or when a club has worn out, or when I demo a club at a shop and it by far outperforms what is currently in my bag...and it fits my wallet.

That being said...$2000 in clubs will never improve your game like $100 in lessons from a PGA pro.

BTW post #400 for me...where has the time gone?

Question for y'all:

Do you guys think that all that pricey brand-name equipment really has a significant positive effect on your game(s)?

Or do y'all buy newer updated sticks all the time because you feel like you've got to keep up w/ the Joneses and you don't want guys looking in your bag and seeing ratty old clubs?

Or do you buy the latest and greatest all the time just because it's fun to buy new toys and check out new stuff?

Thanx.

611235[/snapback]

Technology hasn't changed all that much really. but as I live in Phoenix, the home of Karsten MFG, and one of my co-workers has a spouse who is a HIGH ranking person at Karsten, I got all my Ping's at "discount" prices. :lol:

Seriously, Driver tech has changed. That's why I upgraded to the G-2. Before that i used a 25 dollar driver from k-mart. And my irons were a 15 year old set of eye-2's that the grooves had worn off. As I needed to upgrade anyway, I wanted to switch to a blade as i did it...

Now, I do know alot of golfers who must have the latest and greatest. new clubs all the time, and their game still sucks.... :D

Technology hasn't changed all that much really. but as I live in Phoenix, the home of Karsten MFG, and one of my co-workers has a spouse who is a HIGH ranking person at Karsten, I got all my Ping's at "discount" prices. :D

Seriously, Driver tech has changed. That's why I upgraded to the G-2. Before that i used a 25 dollar driver from k-mart. And my irons were a 15 year old set of eye-2's that the grooves had worn off. As I needed to upgrade anyway, I wanted to switch to a blade as i did it...

Now, I do know alot of golfers who must have the latest and greatest. new clubs all the time, and their game still sucks.... :D

611624[/snapback]

I disagree with you a little. While clubhead technology hasn't changed a lot on irons, shaft and fitting has. So while new clubs per say may not help, having lies adjust to fit the person, as well as launch monitors to adjust clubs and choose the right shaft has. The other big changes besides drivers, which have seen a lot of good changes the last 5-7 years, and really makes sense to upgrade every other generation now, is ball technology. The days of either the old soft balatas and hard pinnicles are gone. People should find a ball that suits there swing, style of play and course. I use really three different balls, depending on the course. On a tight course with hard greens I use Cally HX Tours, on longer tight courses with semihard greens I use Nike Blacks, and on real long wider courses or with courses that have large greens I'll use the Cally hx hots, this way a little run after hitting doesn't kill you.

In addition you're starting to see some good changes on fairway woods, hybrids and wedges. Wedge grooves are being modified to help different playing styles, and courses, and fairway woods and hybrids are being maade to again suit different needs. Larger heads for use on tee and out of propped up lies, vs. shallow/smaller for rough lies and fairways. Again find what suits you game.

While overall not one makes that much of a difference, to get fitted, and make slections for the types of courses you play plus add in the right shaft and ball, and someone could easily drop 5-7 strokes just on GOOD technology choices alone. Add in some lessons which really are not that expensive and someone in a year could easily drop 10-15 strokes off their handicap.

I disagree with you a little.  While clubhead technology hasn't changed a lot on irons, shaft and fitting has.  So while new clubs per say may not help, having lies adjust to fit the person, as well as launch monitors to adjust clubs and choose the right shaft has.  The other big changes besides drivers, which have seen a lot of good changes the last 5-7 years, and really makes sense to upgrade every other generation now, is ball technology.  The days of either the old soft balatas and hard pinnicles are gone.  People should find a ball that suits there swing, style of play and course.  I use really three different balls, depending on the course.  On a tight course with hard greens I use Cally HX Tours, on longer tight courses with semihard greens I use Nike Blacks, and on real long wider courses or with courses that have large greens I'll use the Cally hx hots, this way a little run after hitting doesn't kill you. 

In addition you're starting to see some good changes on fairway woods, hybrids and wedges.  Wedge grooves are being modified to help different playing styles, and courses, and fairway woods and hybrids are being maade to again suit different needs.  Larger heads for use on tee and out of propped up lies, vs. shallow/smaller for rough lies and fairways.  Again find what suits you game. 

While overall not one makes that much of a difference, to get fitted, and make slections for the types of courses you play plus add in the right shaft and ball, and someone could easily drop 5-7 strokes just on GOOD technology choices alone.  Add in some lessons which really are not that expensive and someone in a year could easily drop 10-15 strokes off their handicap.

611792[/snapback]

I agree with what you are saying. I just meant to say that technology helps the better golfers more than the duffer, or even an avg one.

For most golfers, all the stuff you mentioned will help a little. the swing is the key. Bad swing usually means bad golfer. If a golfer is good enough to change equipment for the type of courses he plays like you do, then the technology matters. But the duffer, who is just trying to get the ball down the fairway in the air, doesn't need to worry about the groove types or dimple patterns and compression ratios. He just wants to make contact...

BTW- do people still buy clubs without a fitting? hehe now thats funny.

BTW- do people still buy clubs without a fitting? hehe now thats funny.

I've been telling myself that I'm going to buy some new sticks one of these decades (truth be told I kind of enjoy beating my buddies and their fancy new clubs with my 20 year old rust-spotted mix'n'match specials;-).

What is a "fitting", who does it, what does it entail, where do you have it done, etc?

Cya