Jets make Cuts!

Jets part with Law, cut Fiedler

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This

Associated Press

Posted: 1 hour ago

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) - The New York Jets slashed their payroll Wednesday by parting with Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and cutting a host of other veterans, including quarterback Jay Fiedler, offensive tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell.

The team is about $26 million over the salary cap and must be at or under the cap by March 3, the opening day of free agency.

The Jets have been negotiating with quarterback Chad Pennington, who twice in the last two years had rotator cuff surgery, in an attempt to reduce a cap number that could be as high as $12 million.

New York has shaken up its staff and is trying to rebuild under new coach Eric Mangini. These latest moves came a day after the Jets designated defensive end John Abraham their franchise player at $8.3 million, although they may try to trade him.

Also cut were three reserves: linebacker Barry Gardner, defensive tackle Lance Legree and wide receiver Harry Williams Jr.

The Jets and Law agreed to not exercise contract options for the next three seasons that were part of the deal when he signed last year. The 32-year-old cornerback spent his first 10 seasons with New England and tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions last season.

"We were very fortunate to have a player of Ty's caliber in 2005," general manager Mike Tannebaum said. "Ty is a warrior and a class act and we appreciate his contributions this past season."

Fiedler, who signed with the team last season, injured his shoulder seven plays after Pennington was hurt in the third game last season and did not play again.

Fabini and Sowell are longtime starters - Fabini started his first 114 games at offensive tackle until he tore a chest muscle Nov. 18 and was lost for the season. Sowell played for nine seasons.

The arm already went on him 3 years ago. His last 2 years with the fish he played terrible. He also hasn't  gone a full year without missing multiple games since he became a starter.

608809[/snapback]

I believe by "the arm" they meant TSW troll, Holcomb's Arm. But, perhaps you knew that and were just funnin'.

I believe by "the arm" they meant TSW troll, Holcomb's Arm.  But, perhaps you knew that and were just funnin'.

608813[/snapback]

LOL, no ididn't pick up on that! Then again I try not to think of the arm outside of his posts, he's like a broken record.

I don't know if I would label Holcomb's Arm a troll. He has his opinions, same as you or I. :w00t:

Be mellow... :w00t:

608855[/snapback]

Not a troll, you say? Then why was he insisting on my solving a riddle before allowing me to enter the Gap? :w00t:

(Of course, the riddle was a thinly veiled shot at JP Losman and made very little sense.)

Not a troll, you say?  Then why was he insisting on my solving a riddle before allowing me to enter the Gap?  :w00t:

(Of course, the riddle was a thinly veiled shot at JP Losman and made very little sense.)

608858[/snapback]

:w00t:

I learned decades ago, to not give too much credence to sense! :w00t:

Don't know what the going rate for Law would be, but I really wouldn't mind him on our team. That will cement the secondary (assuming we don't trade NC) and can go after pure line(s) help in the draft and rest of free agency.

No to Fiedler. If we are going to get a #3, might as well be a low draft pick.

Don't know what the going rate for Law would be, but I really wouldn't mind him on our team. That will cement the secondary (assuming we don't trade NC) and can go after pure line(s) help in the draft and rest of free agency.

No to Fiedler. If we are going to get a #3, might as well be a low draft pick.

608865[/snapback]

According to NFL Radio, Law will want in the neighborhood of 10 million up front. Now that NC was franchised and MaGee was extended, there is virtually no chance of Law coming to Buffalo.

That said, I would be far from surprised if Levy takes a corner on day one of the draft. That is what he used to do.

According to NFL Radio, Law will want in the neighborhood of 10 million up front. Now that NC was franchised and MaGee was extended, there is virtually no chance of Law coming to Buffalo.

That said, I would be far from surprised if Levy takes a corner on day one of the draft. That is what he used to do.

608911[/snapback]

Thanx. you are correct - no sense spending that kind of money for him. But, if he spends a Day 1 pick on a corner, our line needs better have been addressed by then.