nate clements on sirius nfl radio right now

SnakeOiler

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't get everything, but here is the recap, on with shannon sharpe and randy cross:

He wants to be paid -- will put his numbers up against ANYBODY. He has put his time in, worked hard, and needs to be paid accordingly. It's all about the jack. His father always told him to take care of his bizniss, and then everything will be fine after that. He did that for 5 years playing out his contract, now needs to get paid accordingly like the player he is.

Verizon sucks, they dropped his call (after they lost him in the midst of his interview).

Suprised mularkey quit on the team, wouldn't commit to saying anything against losman vs. bledsoe. When asked if that was the right move, he said they've lost a number of good players that could have helped them out since he's been in buffalo: travis, drew, peerless, pat, etc.

eric moulds: his 'situation' last year one of many, he's a veteran and has been thru the wars...so it's expected he would want the ball. But was not a big deal to the team.

Coaches and players not on same page last year. "It was a bad atmosphere and a bad situation for me".

Nate has talked to marv, and marv told him he is high in the bills' priority list. Haven't gotten to the point to talk contract, as they've been consumed by getting the new coaching staff in place.

He moved into a new house in houston 2 weeks ago, and is just getting settled in down there. Likes houston, the city is 'a good fit for me'

He invited Shannon Sharpe to come down and hang out with him in Houston. Shannon says, Nate, u need to get paid -- doesn't matter who the team is, you'll play for santa claus if he is the highest bidder.

Shannon speculates that miami might want him instead of ty law...nate would be the better player to sign as a free agent. Franchise tag might not be a bad thing for nate....if there is an uncapped year in 2007, he would get mad $$.

In my opinion, nate's loyalty is to $$ and he has no loyalty at all to buffalo. It's all about the stats and the jacks.

That said, I think we still need to resign or franchise him.

before you guys all jump on nate, why should the guy have any loyalty to the bills? the team has been a compete mess since he arrived and despite all the rosy comments coming out of one bills drive now it's all been said before and followed by failure.......why should he have faith that the team will turn around now?

they didn't extend him when they had the chance earlier in his career so now he has the right to either collect a fat f-tag one year deal or get a long-term deal.......don't hate on the guy just because he doesn't love the bills as much as you do........

Players have loyalties to their families, themselves, some of their teammates, some of the coaches who they like. That's about it.

Players that are say, very active in the community of Buffalo are not really loyal to Buffalo, they would be loyal to the community of Houston if that was the team they were on. It is because they have some class, not because they love Buffalo (or any other city).

Players are not loyal to the city or management or fans, because the city and management and fans are not really loyal to them and will schitt on them instantly if they think they are not producing as desired. Renegotiating for the good of the team is one of the biggest hoaxes ever floated.

Players have to take the money, the city, the team, the teammates, their wives if they have one, their bank account, their coaches, the time of their career this is happening in, their past, their hobbies, all into consideration at once. Different players prioritize them differently, and that same player may prioritize them differently in year one, year four, year seven and year ten of his career. Right now, Nate Clements should look for the most money he can get, as would every single player in the NFL, and then make a decision from the offer. I don't know of any player who is loyal to a city's fans. And fairly, they shouldn't be.

i didn't hear the interview but based on the recap above, i like what he said.

he did play the good soldier. he not only didn't hold out, i don't recall him ever even commenting on his contract last year or the year before. he just came to work and played his best. he had a horrible year last year. he got beat by a lot of guys that had no business beating him. i don't know enough about defensive schemes and play calls from game to game to know that all his miscues were entirely his fault.

i don't think he will get all the jack he thinks he deserves but he does deserve to get paid, and it is just plain bad luck that the "top 5 CB" figure for a tagged CB is so low this year.

It's pretty clear that the Bills will have to Franchise him, as he wants to play for the highest bidder. That $5.9 M cap hit isn't the end of the world and it is a reasonable salary for him this year. However, I wouldn't expect them to tag him again in 2007, as his cap hit then would increase to at least $7 M. (He would be gauranteed either a 20% pay increase or the top 5 CB salary, whichever is greater).

Also, does anybody think that his moving to Houston sends any signals?

Also, does anybody think that his moving to Houston sends any signals?

605722[/snapback]

Yes; see below.

Signal #1: Nate doesn't like cold weather.

Signal #2: Nate prefers to ogle attractive women on a regular basis.

Signal #3: Unless you're from Buffalo, there's generally no reason to want to be there. Despite our loyalties to the local teams, how many of us have voluntarily and eagerly moved elsewhere?

Nate moving to Houston means just about as much as Willis buying a house in Orchard Park. Nada.

Before this past year, most of us would say its time to pay Nate whatever he wants...now after the ENTIRE team basically struggled and NC did as well...now the feelings changed, players have off years...I think NC would rebound next year..

And you know what? Paying NC and perhaps evne locking him up long term can ONLY help the Bills PR wise with players on the roster right now and throughout the NFL.after letting Pat Williams walk...and trading other veteran players etc...Bills need to send a message to prospective FA's that they are committed to playing vets.

Coaches and players not on same page last year.  "It was a bad atmosphere and a bad situation for me".

605694[/snapback]

I know the coaching staff as a whole was not on the same page as the players, and I know our defense was a HUGE letdown last year, but it still seems odd. Hasn't Jerry Gray been the one consistency in the coaching staff since Clements became a pro? It's weird that all of the sudden, after five years, Clements and the rest of the D would not be on the same page with Gray, and it was suddenly a 'bad atmosphere and a bad situation.'

I think the 'bad situation' was the fact that they did not get to play San Fran, Arizona, St. Louis, and Cleveland this year.

The situation with NC seems pretty straight-forward. NC neither played well (a top 5 CB in the NFL) by most standards or his public goals (the #1 CB in the NFL).

Yet, he pretty clearly has more than a credible case for being the #1 CB on the Bills (though McGee is pushing him for this designation in the view of most) and the likely cost of an FA CB of his age and past quality (a Pro Bowl nod last year) make him an important Bill to keep.

The franchise tag dropping down after Winfield's contract moves into a lower salary amount this year makes tagging him a reasonable way for us to keep him particularly since the overall cap # for NFL teams is up.

As a Bills fan, I'd prefer if we tag him as next year is a contract year for him and he will work hard to perform. If he is all about (or moatly about) the $ he may lose a little of his edge if we sign him long term.

I think the 'bad situation' was the fact that they did not get to play San Fran, Arizona, St. Louis, and Cleveland this year.

605739[/snapback]

In part I do agree with you. The Bills defense over the last 3 years has primarily produced against weaker offenses and come up short against the good ones. I cannot recall a game in the past 3 years where the Bills defense rose up against a Top 10 offense and stole a game for the Bills.

Lets not lose sight how big the loss of Spikes was to this defense. Plus when you factor in the loss of Pat Williams...very few defenses could endure losing players like that and not have a significant dropff on overall performance.

You're saying he doesn't have to get paid?

605720[/snapback]

you misunderstood. Every player should get paid what they are worth. In the interview Shannon implied that Nate deserves big bucks which I dont agree with. He is our best corner but compared to other corners in the nfl I feel he is middle of the pack. However he thinks he is the top three or four (from his comments) and if the Bills pay him top 3 money they are nuts.

This is what BillsDaily.com had to say about the interview:

Clements Expects Tag: Nate Clements was on Sirius NFL radio today and said he expects the Bills to tag him if they don't work out a long term deal before then. He figures they will tag him and get a long term deal done afterwards. He said he would like to stay in Buffalo and help get things turned around. On compensation, he says he's a fair man but he puts his numbers up against anybody and would like to be compensated for the way he has played over his career in Buffalo. He has spoken to Marv Levy and the GM made it known that he is a priority but serious negotiations haven't started since the Bills have been preoccupied with getting the organization set up. He has yet to speak to Dick Jauron but expects a conversation soon. On last season, he said the Eric Moulds situation was minor compared to everything that went on. He refused to be baited into an answer when Shannon Sharpe suggested Mike Mularkey quit on the team.