Losman's dramatic improvement

Orton's Arm

Well, I figured someone has to provide a contrast to the peace, love, and happiness your posts always represent. :wacko:

602285[/snapback]

You mean a contrast to the "I don't know how good the kid can/will be, I'm willing to give him more than 8 starts"?

Yeah, that seems like love and peace...or it might just be rational thought.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean a contrast to the "I don't know how good the kid can/will be, I'm willing to give him more than 8 starts"?

Yeah, that seems like love and peace...or it might just be rational thought.

602407[/snapback]

What I can't understand is why I am reading all this stuff and why people are actually talking about.

You guys either have no lives or ugly wives.

What I can't understand is why I am reading all this stuff and why people are actually talking about.

You guys either have no lives or ugly wives.

602420[/snapback]

What I can't understand is, THIS sentence:

"What I can't understand is why I am reading all this stuff and why people are actually talking about."

:wacko:

Yeah, because nobody at all has any concerns at all about Losman's ability to read defenses or make good decisions.  :wacko:

602273[/snapback]

Have you ever taken a wonderlic? I have and they are a timed exam. Many people who take it the first time make the big mistake of spending too much time on a particular problem. They try and figure out a problem they are unsure of instead of just going to the next problem immediately. This especially applies to math questions.

It is the norm for someone's score to go up the second time they take the test. How well someone tests in these types of exams is not a very good gage of how well they can do on the field.

Plenty of QBs score low and still do an excellent job reading defenses. Marino scored a 12 or 14 and I think he managed to hold his own.

edit: I look forward to the day that the majority of your posts are not devoted to the ripping JP crusade. When discussing something else some of your posts are actually of some interest.

Believe what you want about Wonderlics and what they mean. I’ll take the guy scoring in the 20s and 30s any day because history shows it those are your best chances to win. Not a guarantee, but your best chance to win.

Of the Super Bowl winners I found since 1990, here are the scores:

Roethlisberger – 25

Brady – 33 (3 titles)

Dilfer – 22

Favre – 22

Aikman – 29 (3 titles)

Elway – 30 (2 titles)

Young – 33

Couldn’t find

Montana

Hostetler

Brad Johnson

Warner

Rypien

Here’s a blurb from NFL.com

“The score is the total number of correct answers. The average score in the United States is 22; 17 equates to about a 100 IQ. The median score is 31 for a chemist, 14 for a custodian ... and 21 for an NFL draftee. Most team officials will tell you that they want quarterbacks and offensive linemen to score at least 25”

Of the last 17 Super Bowl, 10 times (at last since I don’t have the other 5 games) if was won by a QB who scored 25 or higher. I’d bet the other 5 guys are at or above 25.

How do some of the current QBs rate:

Alex Smith - 40

Rex Grossman - 29

Kyle Boller - 27

Carson Palmer - 26

Drew Brees - 28

Vick - 20

Bulger - 29

Culpepper (3 scores) 18, 21, 15

McNabb (2 scores 16 and 12

Matt hassleback - 29

McNair - 15

Collins - 30

Bledoe - 37

A nice mix around the "magic" number of 25.

How’s our custodian looking now?

“The score is the total number of correct answers. The average score in the United States is 22; 17 equates to about a 100 IQ. The median score is 31 for a chemist, 14 for a custodian ... and 21 for an NFL draftee. Most team officials will tell you that they want quarterbacks and offensive linemen to score at least 25”

602435[/snapback]

Of course, the mean IQ nationwide is 100 (by definition; the dead center of the normal distribution is defined as 100). So if the mean score for the Wonderlic is 22, but the mean IQ corresponds to a 17 on the Wonderlic...well, then something's wrong. Either the IQ test or the Wonderlic ain't worth a hill of beans. Or both.

I was reading up on players' Wonderlic scores, and I came across this:

602252[/snapback]

Translation: I'm not sure I've gotten my point across that I don't like J.P. Losman, so I keep digging.

I noticed Losman scored 14 on the Wonderlic the first time, and 31 the second time. Does anyone know why Losman was able to more than double his score?

602252[/snapback]

Answer: Because he answered 17 more questions correctly.

Dude, go find another crusade. :wacko:

Either the IQ test or the Wonderlic ain't worth a hill of beans.  Or both.

602442[/snapback]

BINGO!

Edit:

Actually, not "worth a hill of beans" may be too strong. They are what they are. If used cautiously, as a guideline, by someone who understands their limited usefullness then they're...well...OK, I guess.

People who put a premium on these scores (without other information necessary to properly interpret them) really don't have a clue.

You bring up a valid point, and I agree.

602469[/snapback]

So that means that you agree that JPs wonderlic score is well within the parameters of what is required to QB a SB team, in fact it is above the average of past SB winners.

Have you ever taken a wonderlic? I have and they are a timed exam. Many people who take it the first time make the big mistake of spending too much time on a particular problem. They try and figure out a problem they are unsure of instead of just going to the next problem immediately. This especially applies to math questions.

It is the norm for someone's score to go up the second time they take the test. How well someone tests in these types of exams is not a very good gage of how well they can do on the field.

Plenty of QBs score low and still do an excellent job reading defenses. Marino scored a 12 or 14 and I think he managed to hold his own.

edit: I look forward to the day that the majority of your posts are not devoted to the ripping JP crusade. When discussing something else some of your posts are actually of some interest.

602423[/snapback]

A good post. I didn't know about Marino's Wonderlic score. Of course, there's the chance the test has changed substantially in the 20+ years since Marino took it. But assuming it's fundamentally the same, the Marino example would show you can have a low score and still read defenses.

Still, I feel there's a strong correlation between a high score and the ability to read defenses. Not a perfect correlation, but a strong one. I guess what I'm saying is that, on average, a guy with a high Wonderlic score will be better able to read a defense than a guy with a lower score.

A good post. I didn't know about Marino's Wonderlic score. Of course, there's the chance the test has changed substantially in the 20+ years since Marino took it. But assuming it's fundamentally the same, the Marino example would show you can have a low score and still read defenses.

Still, I feel there's a strong correlation between a high score and the ability to read defenses. Not a perfect correlation, but a strong one. I guess what I'm saying is that, on average, a guy with a high Wonderlic score will be better able to read a defense than a guy with a lower score.

602490[/snapback]

On your original post you said:

I noticed Losman scored 14 on the Wonderlic the first time, and 31 the second time. Does anyone know why Losman was able to more than double his score?

You've heard the explainations of how someone can easily increase their score from a 14 to a 31. Are you ready to admit that JP does in fact have the high wonderlic score that, on average, allows a QB to be better able to read a defense than a guy with a lower score?