Losman's dramatic improvement

Orton's Arm

I was reading up on players' Wonderlic scores, and I came across this:

Akili Smith suspected of cheating on Wonderlic

In fact, (Akili) Smith has been suspected of taking shortcuts ever since he took the Wonderlic test before the 1999 draft. After scoring 15 out of 50 on his first try, Smith's score ballooned to 37 on his second attempt.

Smith credited the jump to his work with a tutor out of San Diego before the second test. NFL scouts suspected Smith cheated off teammate Jason Maas, who scored 43 that year.

I noticed Losman scored 14 on the Wonderlic the first time, and 31 the second time. Does anyone know why Losman was able to more than double his score?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading up on players' Wonderlic scores, and I came across this:

Akili Smith suspected of cheating on Wonderlic

I noticed Losman scored 14 on the Wonderlic the first time, and 31 the second time. Does anyone know why Losman was able to more than double his score?

602252[/snapback]

I don't know why, but I stand by the fact that I honetly don't care if he scored a 1 on the thing so long as he takes us to the playoffs.

He claimed he had to urinate when he took it the 1st time & he couldn't concentrate.

More likely: He was tutored for the second test (at the combine) & did much better.

I don't think Akili Smith cheated of Maas, I think his agent had him tutored for the test like Losman.

I usually give the first time score more weight.

He claimed he had to urinate when he took it the 1st time & he couldn't concentrate. 

More likely:  He was tutored for the second test (at the combine) & did much better.

I don't think Akili Smith cheated of Maas, I think his agent had him tutored for the test like Losman. 

I usually give the first time score more weight.

602277[/snapback]

I'm not sure I buy that whole urination excuse. I know that tutoring can't produce anywhere near a 100% increase in most aptitude tests; so I'd be surprised if it could for the Wonderlic test. But maybe the Wonderlic reuses questions from year to year, changing a few details, but keeping the essence of the question the same.

602252[/snapback]

It's a little known fact that Losman did poorly on his first test because he was told he wouldn't be competing with anyone. When he took his second test, he was taking it with Holcomb, and that little bit of competition made him the Wonderlic tester he is today.

Just goes to show you: how you groom a Wonderlic tester is everything.

I'm not sure I buy that whole urination excuse. I know that tutoring can't produce anywhere near a 100% increase in most aptitude tests; so I'd be surprised if it could for the Wonderlic test. But maybe the Wonderlic reuses questions from year to year, changing a few details, but keeping the essence of the question the same.

602303[/snapback]

Well, once again, you'd be wrong. Tutoring for these kinds of tests can TRIPLE (and more) low scores. You put far too much credence in this test.

Well, once again, you'd be wrong.  Tutoring for these kinds of tests can TRIPLE (and more) low scores.

602312[/snapback]

Which is why paid professionals such as NFL general managers suspect Akili Smith of having cheated to have obtained his dramatic increase. Those guys are paid professionals, and if they smell something fishy, maybe they're right.

Which is why paid professionals such as NFL general managers suspect Akili Smith of having cheated to have obtained his dramatic increase. Those guys are paid professionals, and if they smell something fishy, maybe they're right.

602374[/snapback]

There's a difference between cheating and prepping. I'm saying you can triple a score w/o "cheating".

602374[/snapback]

I don't know if you'd consider it cheating, but my guess on Akili is that his agent bought a bunch of Wonderlic tests and had Akili study Qs & As from every test he had. Chances are that either the same or a very similar test was given at the combine that year. I've taken civil service tests and memorized the test before I left for future tests & for friends. I gave people copies of prior tests before they took the next test. I don't consider that cheating, but they definitely had an advantage over people without a copy of the previous test. In high school we had a teacher who stressed the Regents exam, using past exams from Barrons books. She gave us a test from a past Regents, we had them all in our books-just didn't know which one she'd give. I memorized all the recent past Regents tests, finished in half the time as the rest of the class & scored a perfect 100. When the time came for the real Regents test, I scored an 85 in a class I was struggling in with a final ave of 77. So studying & memorizing past test does help- although I doubt Akili Smith has my ability to memorize tests.

I don't know if you'd consider it cheating, but my guess on Akili is that his agent bought a bunch of Wonderlic tests and had Akili study Qs & As from every test he had.  Chances are that either the same or a very similar test was given at the combine that year.  I've taken civil service tests and memorized the test before I left for future tests & for friends.  I gave people copies of prior tests before they took the next test.  I don't consider that cheating, but they definitely had an advantage over people without a copy of the previous test.  In high school we had a teacher who stressed the Regents exam, using past exams from Barrons books.  She gave us a test from a past Regents, we had them all in our books-just didn't know which one she's give. I memorized all the recent past Regents tests, finished in half the time as the rest of the class & scored a perfect 100.  When the time came for the real Regents test, I scored an 85 in a class I was struggling in with a final ave of 77.  So studying & memorizing past test does help- although I doubt Akili Smith has my ability to memorize tests.

602383[/snapback]

Exactly. In my high school, some classes were simply taking old regent's exams the entire year. By the time you were finished, you should at LEAST be familiar with the style of the test, the way questions are asked, what kind of questions are asked and, perhaps, see a repeat question or two. Also, if properly trained, you learn how to "guess" and maximize your probability of being correct.

So, even if you can't memorize, you can learn HOW to take the test.

602374[/snapback]

Did Losman steal your girl friend? I am trying to figure out why you harp on any little thing about him.