THE NUMBER ONE ALBUM IN AMERICA

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

And I would think he would say he isn't that funny too... Yet, I did pick up the humor... You probably like the 'Stones? And was poking fun at that.  God, I hope it wasn't Barry Manilow? :D  ;)  Even I got to admit that the 'Stones are better than BM. :lol:  I was always partial to: "Waiting On A Friend"... I even think that Dean, in all his Donald Fagen/Steely Dan loving  ways would agree too... :doh:  ;)

600959[/snapback]

I knew exactly what he meant, just a joke, he's OK with me, I have no problems with anybody, it's just a frickin' message board. :D;)

So Barry lives?  It's not like some Tupac thing where he keeps making records from the afterlife?

600948[/snapback]

Not this time. I believe only rap stars ahve theat ability. They apparently learned it from Elvis.

I think II is better than IV, but that's just me. They're both great, but II rocks harder.

600964[/snapback]

You are correct re: Zeppelin

As for my uncalled-for personal attack...hey, that's what I do. I'm a "Cheap-Shot Artist", some of my friends have called me the "ultimate critic". Fits me like a glove. I'll go to a restaurant, have a prefectly good meal and I'll be perfectly content...but, i will probably point a few things that could have been better. Not complaining...just doing my job.

To address a few of the posts in this thread...Thanks Exiled (on Main Street?) in Illinois. I think we see eye-to-eye (another good band, BTW...their first album is awesome). Thanks for coming to bat while I was gone.

I am an admitted culture snob. While I'd prefer to listen to the Stones over Barry Montanalow, I consider them both pop-culture opportunitists interested far more in $$$ than in creating good music. At least the Stones made a difference and contributed culturally at one point in their career...but, that was a LONG time ago.

Rest assured I wll continue to take pot-shots at media-driven, culture destroying crapfests such as American Idol and Survivor, which celebrate celebrity over quality.

Obviously, I don't expect everyone (or even most) to agree with me. In fact, if they did, I'd have to rethink my position. I'd prefer to walk alone they to have to crowd in with the unlettered and the unwashed. (And, yes...that's a joke...kind of)

BTW, I think I'm REALLY funny. I kill me.

Rest assured I wll continue to take pot-shots at media-driven, culture destroying crapfests such as American Idol and Survivor, which celebrate celebrity over quality.

600990[/snapback]

See, I think a lot of people DO see American Idol that way....I guess I just look at it differently. The end result certainly IS celebrity, and it's absolutely celebrated, but I don't think that's the point of the show. I guess maybe it's because if there was ANY career I could have in life, it would be that of a successful recording artist (one who writes his own stojan, of course). To think that these unrefined, unknown NOBODIES can be taken and molded into a star is absolutely fascinating to me. I just love to watch the process take shape....can't help it. I think a lot of people get jealous when they see others suceed, but I'm totally different. I LOVE to live vicariously from time to time. People who are jealous with the success of others simply have personal, unresolved issues. I'm pretty happy with where I am in my life, yet I can't help the fact that there is a part of me that has crazy fantasies such as being a rock star or whatever, that I know can't come to fruition because of what I lack - talent! lol But to me, watching others do it is a way to satisfy that desire....and I'm really proud to see some of them take advantage of it.

Just my take :doh:

The state of contemporary music is a sad one to say the least.....

600984[/snapback]

I think it's like film....you just have to look hard enough to find the good stuff nowadays :doh:

Not this time. I believe only rap stars ahve theat ability. They apparently learned it from Elvis.

600978[/snapback]

lol....I don't remember if you ever saw Bubba Ho-Tep, but if you haven't you gotta check it out

As for my uncalled-for personal attack...hey, that's what I do.  I'm a "Cheap-Shot Artist", some of my friends have called me the "ultimate critic".  Fits me like a glove.  I'll go to a restaurant, have a prefectly good meal and I'll be perfectly content...but, i will probably point a few things that could have been better.  Not complaining...just doing my job.

To address a few of the posts in this thread...Thanks Exiled (on Main Street?) in Illinois.  I think we see eye-to-eye (another good band, BTW...their first album is awesome).  Thanks for coming to bat while I was gone.

I am an admitted culture snob.  While I'd prefer to listen to the Stones over Barry Montanalow, I consider them both pop-culture opportunitists interested far more in $$$ than in creating good music.  At least the Stones made a difference and contributed culturally at one point in their career...but, that was a LONG time ago.

Obviously, I don't expect everyone (or even most) to agree with me.  In fact, if they did, I'd have to rethink my position.  I'd prefer to walk alone they to have to crowd in with the unlettered and the unwashed.  (And, yes...that's a joke...kind of)

BTW, I think I'm REALLY funny.  I kill me.

600990[/snapback]

:doh:

I stand corrected... You are funny. Great post.

I shouldn't do your dirty work... You handle yourself VERY WELL. I just can't buy a thrill.

But... I won't hesitate to do it again.

Boy... I was just waiting for that opportunity! That was like hitting fungo's to the infield.

;):lol::D

I think it's like film....you just have to look hard enough to find the good stuff nowadays :doh:

600995[/snapback]

My big love is finding the nobody bands that are undiscovered, and loving their stuff. Vertical Horizon was great until they went mainstream. A few bands I still enjoy are Guster and Jennifer Chapin. Want to listen to someone new? My newest find is Teddy Geiger. Watch him get big real fast.

Barry rocks.

<whistling>

You came along just like a song

and brighten my day

who would of believed that you where part of a dream

now it all seems light years away

and now you know I can't smile without you

I can't smile without you

I can't laugh and I can't sing

I'm finding it hard to do anything

you see I feel sad when your sad

I feel glad when you're glad

if you only knew what I'm going through

I just can't smile, without you...

My big love is finding the nobody bands that are undiscovered, and loving their stuff. Vertical Horizon was great until they went mainstream. A few bands I still enjoy are Guster and Jennifer Chapin. Want to listen to someone new? My newest find is Teddy Geiger. Watch him get big real fast.

601053[/snapback]

I totally agree....I'm usually better at doing that with movies than I am with music, but the point is valid for both.....I just bought an Amos Lee CD (the guy I asked Rico about above in the thread) and it's friggin awesome. If you like his style of music, he's a real joy to listen to....what a talent.

601053[/snapback]

I find that some movie soundtracks have nobody bands and people on them. Maybe that's one way they get their name out there??

601053[/snapback]

What changed about them when they went mainstream that moved them from the "good" column to the "no good" column? I've heard this argument before, and honestly, the only differences I notice when most bands "go mainstream" is the improvement in recording quality.

(Really, I'm just wondering!)

-Jeff

What changed about them when they went mainstream that moved them from the "good" column to the "no good" column?  I've heard this argument before, and honestly, the only differences I notice when most bands "go mainstream" is the improvement in recording quality.

-Jeff

601190[/snapback]

Well, to use a movie example, Kevin Smith. He did Chasing Amy, MAllrats, Dogma, Clerks, got bigger, and then he did Jersey girl... oh joy.

I find that some movie soundtracks have nobody bands and people on them.  Maybe that's one way they get their name out there??

601106[/snapback]

Usually the way to go to find them. That, and an hour or so on XM unsigned.

What changed about them when they went mainstream that moved them from the "good" column to the "no good" column?  I've heard this argument before, and honestly, the only differences I notice when most bands "go mainstream" is the improvement in recording quality.

-Jeff

601190[/snapback]

Money may not change everything, but it usually changes most things.

To me, the changes tend to go toward "commercial". When it becomes more about the $$, many (most?) artists start to make decisions about what will SELL. This is often due to their association with a record label/producer/agent. Also, many people start to take themselves seriously and think they are important...or that what they do is IMPORTANT.

IMO, the worst thing to ever happen to music was the birth of the ROCK STAR. Many musicians go from being artists to rock stars. The music almost always suffers.

Of course, as society craves celebrities, it's tough not to get drawn in. You have the machine working to make you a star. If you're known and good, you may get treated like a star, and subject to the bulls#it that comes with being a star, even if you don't want it. Here's a little piece of a Van Morrison ditty about that:

What will it take for them to leave me alone

Don’t they know I’m just a guy who sings songs

I’m not promoting no hit record

And I don’t have no TV show

And I don’t have no reason to live in a goldfish bowl

I’m just doing my gigs

And I’m on and off the road

Everything I say is not meant to be set in stone

Just because they call me a celebrity

That does not make it true

‘Cos I don’t believe in the myth people

So why should you?

Jazz Blues & Funk

That’s not Rock & Roll

Folk with a beat

And a little bit of Soul

I don’t have no hit record

I don’t have no TV show

Tell me why should I have to live in this goldfish bowl?

As for my uncalled-for personal attack...hey, that's what I do.  I'm a "Cheap-Shot Artist", some of my friends have called me the "ultimate critic".  Fits me like a glove.  I'll go to a restaurant, have a prefectly good meal and I'll be perfectly content...but, i will probably point a few things that could have been better.  Not complaining...just doing my job.

To address a few of the posts in this thread...Thanks Exiled (on Main Street?) in Illinois.  I think we see eye-to-eye (another good band, BTW...their first album is awesome).  Thanks for coming to bat while I was gone.

I am an admitted culture snob.  While I'd prefer to listen to the Stones over Barry Montanalow, I consider them both pop-culture opportunitists interested far more in $$$ than in creating good music.  At least the Stones made a difference and contributed culturally at one point in their career...but, that was a LONG time ago.

Obviously, I don't expect everyone (or even most) to agree with me.  In fact, if they did, I'd have to rethink my position.  I'd prefer to walk alone they to have to crowd in with the unlettered and the unwashed.  (And, yes...that's a joke...kind of)

BTW, I think I'm REALLY funny.  I kill me.

600990[/snapback]

Thanks for the answer Mr. Dean. I read and enjoy most of your posts, it really wasn't an attack on you, just a question from observations of reading your posts. You are the ultimate critic.

I think the band "Gorilliaz" probably has figured out the fame thing. My son tells me that they cover their faces and no one knows what they look like. Pretty smart because they can go anywhere and not be bothered by the media or pesky fans.

Thanks for the answer Mr. Dean. I read and enjoy most of your posts, it really wasn't an attack on you, just a question from observations of reading your posts. You are the ultimate critic.

I think the band "Gorilliaz" probably has figured out the fame thing. My son tells me that they cover their faces and no one knows what they look like. Pretty smart because they can go anywhere and not be bothered by the media or pesky fans.

601279[/snapback]

i was told they were animated characters. Now I'm totally confused. I guess I'll have to google when I get back from the track.

Later

Money may not change everything, but it usually changes most things.

To me, the changes tend to go toward "commercial".  When it becomes more about the $$, many (most?) artists start to make decisions about what will SELL.  This is often due to their association with a record label/producer/agent.  Also, many people start to take themselves seriously and think they are important...or that what they do is IMPORTANT. 

IMO, the worst thing to ever happen to music was the birth of the ROCK STAR.  Many musicians go from being artists to rock stars.  The music almost always suffers.

Of course, as society craves celebrities, it's tough not to get drawn in.  You have the machine working to make you a star.  If you're known and good, you may get treated like a star, and subject to the bulls#it that comes with being a star, even if you don't want it.  Here's a little piece of a Van Morrison ditty about that:

What will it take for them to leave me alone

Don’t they know I’m just a guy who sings songs

I’m not promoting no hit record

And I don’t have no TV show

And I don’t have no reason to live in a goldfish bowl

I’m just doing my gigs

And I’m on and off the road

Everything I say is not meant to be set in stone

Just because they call me a celebrity

That does not make it true

‘Cos I don’t believe in the myth people

So why should you?

Jazz Blues & Funk

That’s not Rock & Roll

Folk with a beat

And a little bit of Soul

I don’t have no hit record

I don’t have no TV show

Tell me why should I have to live in this goldfish bowl?

601245[/snapback]

I have bee really to long "Too Long in Exile." :D

Wow Dean! I was reading your first paragraph and was gonna immediately reply with a "Belfast Cowboy" bit... I figured the rest of your post was gonna be good so I continued to read!

One artist who truly did it HIS way... Of course the critics will knock him for being aloof and tempermental... They will always find fault... It is too bad.

I can go on and on...

But here it is when it popped into my mind, one of my favorites:

Cleaning Windows:

Oh, the smell of the bakery from across the street

Got in my nose

As we carried our ladders down the street

With the wrought-iron gate rows

I went home and listened to Jimmie Rodgers in my lunch-break

Bought five Woodbines at the shop on the corner

And went straight back to work.

Oh, Sam was up on top

And I was on the bottom with the v

We went for lemonade and Paris buns

At the shop and broke for tea

I collected from the lady

And I cleaned the fanlight inside-out

I was blowing saxophone on the weekend

In that down joint.

What's my line?

I'm happy cleaning windows

Take my time

I'll see you when my love grows

Baby don't let it slide

I'm a working man in my prime

Cleaning windows (number a hundred and thirty-six)

I heard Leadbelly and Blind Lemon

On the street where I was born

Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee,

Muddy Waters singin' "I'm A Rolling Stone"

I went home and read my Christmas Humphreys' book on Zen

Curiosity killed the cat

Kerouac's "Dharma Bums" and "On The Road"

What's my line?

I'm happy cleaning windows

Take my time

I'll see you when my love grows

Baby don't let it slide

I'm a working man in my prime

Cleaning windows...

The SFU site that I glean most of his work is a daily inspiration... I caught onto some time ago and stay out of it. Just an awesome reference source!

:D