THE NUMBER ONE ALBUM IN AMERICA

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw you.  And We're still better than you are.

601339[/snapback]

My grade 2 (I used that terminology for the sake of our Candian friends out there :D ) son is doing a report on a state... He randomly choose Maryland.

I am begging my wife to influence my son and use that line about Marylanders!

Think she will?

:D

My grade 2 (I used that terminology for the sake of our Candian friends out there :D ) son is doing a report on a state... He randomly choose Maryland.

I am begging my wife to influence my son and use that line about Marylanders!

Think she will?

:doh:

601359[/snapback]

:D

Hey, can you guys recommend a good Van Morrison starter album? I've never heard ANYTHING.....

601380[/snapback]

Astral Weeks is by far his greatest (all-time top 10 material), but I think you should probably start with Moondance first.

Astral Weeks is by far his greatest (all-time top 10 material), but I think you should probably start with Moondance first.

601382[/snapback]

OKay, cool, I'll add 'em to my amazon list :D I saw his newest release yesterday when I picked up the Amos Lee CD.....also saw a cool Zeppelin compilation (I think it was greatest hits I&II in one package), but I decided to hold off on it for now. I'm in the process of revamping my audio rig at home, so I'm gonna need some great tunes to go with it in a couple months :D

OKay, cool, I'll add 'em to my amazon list :D  I saw his newest release yesterday when I picked up the Amos Lee CD.....also saw a cool Zeppelin compilation (I think it was greatest hits I&II in one package), but I decided to hold off on it for now. I'm in the process of revamping my audio rig at home, so I'm gonna need some great tunes to go with it in a couple months :D

601389[/snapback]

I wouldn't get Astral Weeks right off the bat. I think a good comparison to it is the Stones' Exile on Main Street... both are masterpieces, but you'd be better served getting into some of the rest of the catalog first. For Van, the Best Of comp. isn't too bad. He's got two outstanding live albums: It's Too Late To Stop Now from the mid-70's is Van the Showstopper, incredible vocal chops. He's much more subdued as he got older but A Night In San Francisco from the mid-90's is very, very smooth & more jazzy, & shows off his excellent band. If you like live music, I recommend both highly... anymore if I listen to Van, I listen to his live shows (ie. boots).

I wouldn't get Astral Weeks right off the bat. I think a good comparison to it is the Stones' Exile on Main Street... both are masterpieces, but you'd be better served getting into some of the rest of the catalog first. For Van, the Best Of comp. isn't too bad. He's got two outstanding live albums: It's Too Late To Stop Now from the mid-70's is Van the Showstopper, incredible vocal chops. He's much more subdued as he got older but A Night In San Francisco from the mid-90's is very, very smooth & more jazzy, & shows off his excellent band. If you like live, I recommend both highly... anymore if I listen to Van, I listen to his live shows (ie. boots).

601396[/snapback]

Cool, you actually beat me to the punch with regard to his 'Best of' CD....Amazon has it for like eight bucks! Do you have any insight as to the quality of the recorings? I have a very transparent audio system, so I want to be prepared. Good stuff sounds awesome, but bad recordings are exposed big time!

Cool, you actually beat me to the punch with regard to his 'Best of' CD....Amazon has it for like eight bucks!  Do you have any insight as to the quality of the recorings? I have a very transparent audio system, so I want to be prepared. Good stuff sounds awesome, but bad recordings are exposed big time!

601397[/snapback]

Eight bucks is a bargain... the sound is pretty good considering the age of some of the recordings (sound fine to me, but I've heard most of the songs for over 30 years)... if you want something to show off your system, I'd get A Night In San Francisco.

Eight bucks is a bargain... the sound is pretty good considering the age of some of the recordings (sound fine to me, but I've heard most of the songs for over 30 years)... if you want something to show off your system, I'd get A Night In San Francisco.

601402[/snapback]

Awesome, thanks....I love the fact that some of you guys are as knowledgable in music as you are.....I have pretty ecclectic taste (everything from the Royal Scott Dragoon Guard, to Radiohead, to Mozart and Smetana, to friggin Bo Bice lol), and I'm realizing there's a LOT of good stuff out there I've never heard. YOu guys helped me to discover Jeff Buckley, too.....'Grace' is one of my favorite CDs. What a talent that guy was.....truly a shame he's not here anymore :D

601382[/snapback]

Good luck... Just pick any. And there is a lot.

Totally Moondance!... It was a commercial success though... :D Every song is a classic

A few of my favorites:

There is the Avalon Sunset or Greatest Hits Vol. 2. (When Will I Ever Learn To Live In God?)

Others I personally like:

Elightenment (Real Real Gone, Enlightenment)

Back On Top (late 1990's)

Start here AJ:

Van the Man

Good luck... Just pick any.  And there is a lot.

Totally Moondance!... It was a commercial success though... :D  Every song is a classic

A few of my favorites:

There is the Avalon Sunset or Greatest Hits Vol. 2. (When Will I Ever Learn To Live In God?)

Others I personally like:

Elightenment (Real Real Gone, Enlightenment)

Back On Top (late 1990's)

Start here AJ:

Van the Man

601410[/snapback]

Very cool, thanks....that's bookmark worthy :D People really seem to LOVE this guy, man.....I've read some gushing reviews on Amazon before, but seems like this guy takes it to a new level. I'm excited to get into his stuff!

Very cool, thanks....that's bookmark worthy ;)  People really seem to LOVE this guy, man.....I've read some gushing reviews on Amazon before, but seems like this guy takes it to a new level. I'm excited to get into his stuff!

601414[/snapback]

Check out the discgraphy section... He does work with so many different artists... .

Just a very, very definitive site.

Want to get all soft and mushy on V-Day... Turn a little Van on... Tupelo Honey (one of his bigger hits)... Will get an "elightened" :lol: lady going... :D:D

Dive into a lot... Spiritual, soulful, jazz, country... You name it man!

Hands down... Ireland's (or any counrty) premier musical influence gift to the world.

What a gem from N. Ireland... Just marvel at his range, talent and all encompassing work.

Check out the discgraphy section... He does work with so many different artists... .

Just a very, very definitive site.

Want to get all soft and mushy on V-Day... Turn a little Van on... Tupelo Honey (one of his bigger hits)... Will get an "elightened"  :lol: lady going... :D  :D

Dive into a lot... Spiritual, soulful, jazz, country... You name it man!

Hands down... Ireland's (or any counrty) premier musical influence gift to the world.

What a gem from N. Ireland... Just marvel at his range, talent and all encompassing work.

601422[/snapback]

Awesome....I'm in! I'm gonna pick up Moondance this week. I can't believe I've never heard the guy....unless I'm just not putting some of his music to his name, I dunno. Maybe once I hear some of this stuff I'll realize I DO know it.....I just know tht a lot of you guys are bringing up his name whenever I see a music thread, so it's time I took some action ;) Thanks again!

OKay, cool, I'll add 'em to my amazon list :D  I saw his newest release yesterday when I picked up the Amos Lee CD.....

601389[/snapback]

Good call on Amos Lee, by teh way., He sounds a lot like Teddy Geiger, so you may want to give him a chance.

Good call on Amos Lee, by teh way., He sounds a lot like Teddy Geiger, so you may want to give him a chance.

601439[/snapback]

Yeah, I think you're on to something with Teddy Geiger.....just after I read your post about him yesterday I heard an interview with him on local radio up here, lol. It was cracking me up cause when he was asked about what was different now that he was getting some notice, he said, "Well, the main difference is that now when I write songs I have people who can really appreciate them. Before it was like I'd just go and show my mom, and she'd be like, 'that's nice, son'...." :D Seems like a cool guy.....I'll definitely check out his stuff.....Good call!

601382[/snapback]

Right and right. Actually, i wouldn't say Astral weeks was best by a LONG shot...but, i understand your point.

AW certainly isn't the Van to start with, IMO.

Do NOT get a greatest hits collection (although Van's is very good).

Moondance will serve you well as a start. I also hightly recommend his last two albums, What's "Wrong With This Picture? and "Magic Time" are two of his best albums since the AW, Moondance era.

His new album, out in early March, is a country-flavored album...OLD country. I've heard a couple of the tunes and it's sounds sweet.

Right and right.  Actually, i wouldn't say Astral weeks was best by a LONG shot...but, i understand your point.

AW certainly isn't the Van to start with, IMO.

Moondance will serve you well as a start.  I also hightly recommend his last two albums, What's "Wrong With This Picture? and "Magic Time" are two of his best albums since  the AW, Moondance era.

His new album, out in early March, is a country-flavored album...OLD country.  I've heard a couple of the tunes and it's sounds sweet.

601597[/snapback]

Yep, 'Magic Time' was the one I saw when I went looking for the Amos Lee disc....I'll definitely start with Moondance, though....I'm psyched :D

Moondance will serve you well as a start.  I also hightly recommend his last two albums, What's "Wrong With This Picture? and "Magic Time" are two of his best albums since  the AW, Moondance era.

601597[/snapback]

He is such a character... I find it impossible not to love him.

"Greatest Hits" is really "Best of." Kinda a big difference and the greatest hits moniker does get thrown around.

I don't necessarily disagree... I am really surprised that VM even has any out there... He has pretty eclectic tastes...

See that is the thing with Van. He does so many different types of music. I would wonder how he would deconstruct this thread?

Then again his distain for all things "biography" pretty much answers the question...

See you've got the new biography

Where did they get the info from

Same as before some, so called friends

Who claim to have, known me then

How come they've got such good memories

And I can't even remember last week

Got to queston where they're coming from

What knowledge of me is it that they speak

So far away, way back when

The people that claim, to have known me then

Not on my wavelength and it's such a shame

That they have to play the name game

The fame game, oh the name game,

Lord it's a cryin' shame

Lord tell me what's to blame

Reinvented all the stories they know

Give them all a different slant

What is it that they're really looking for

Just a hobby on the internet

So far away, way back when

The people that claim, to have known me then

That they have to play the name game

The fame game, the name game,

Oh it's such a cryin' shame, tell me who's to blame

If they didn't really know me way back

How can they know me now, in any respect

It's a pity they don't feel the pain

That they should pay the price to play, to play

The fame game, the name game

It's such a cryin' shame, please tell me who's to blame

That they have to play, have to play the fame game

Oh the name game, it's a cryin' shame

Please tell me who's to blame

They keep on playin'

The fame game, oh the name game

It's such a cryin' shame, please tell me who's to blame

Keep on playin' the fame game

Lord, the name game, its such a cryin' shame

They just keep on playin' the fame game

Oh the name game, its such a cryin' shame

Keep on, keep on playin'..

Moondance by far has been his biggest commercial success. It would be logical to use it as a "baseline." Yet... You vex me that you seem to embrace this as a baseline for his music?

I am not dsiputing that it is an awesome place to start though.

Just pulling your "commercial leg"... :doh::P