THE NUMBER ONE ALBUM IN AMERICA

He is such a character... I find it impossible not to love him.

"Greatest Hits" is really "Best of."  Kinda a big difference and the greatest hits moniker does get thrown around.

I don't necessarily disagree... I am really surprised that VM even has any out there... He has pretty eclectic tastes...

See that is the thing with Van.  He does so many different types of music.  I would wonder how he would deconstruct this thread?

Then again his distain for all things "biography" pretty much answers the question...

See you've got the new biography

Where did they get the info from

Same as before some, so called friends

Who claim to have, known me then

How come they've got such good memories

And I can't even remember last week

Got to queston where they're coming from

What knowledge of me is it that they speak

So far away, way back when

The people that claim, to have known me then

Not on my wavelength and it's such a shame

That they have to play the name game

The fame game, oh the name game,

Lord it's a cryin' shame

Lord tell me what's to blame

Reinvented all the stories they know

Give them all a different slant

What is it that they're really looking for

Just a hobby on the internet

So far away, way back when

The people that claim, to have known me then

That they have to play the name game

The fame game, the name game,

Oh it's such a cryin' shame, tell me who's to blame

If they didn't really know me way back

How can they know me now, in any respect

It's a pity they don't feel the pain

That they should pay the price to play, to play

The fame game, the name game

It's such a cryin' shame, please tell me who's to blame

That they have to play, have to play the fame game

Oh the name game, it's a cryin' shame

Please tell me who's to blame

They keep on playin'

The fame game, oh the name game

It's such a cryin' shame, please tell me who's to blame

Keep on playin' the fame game

Lord, the name game, its such a cryin' shame

They just keep on playin' the fame game

Oh the name game, its such a cryin' shame

Keep on, keep on playin'..

Moondance by far has been his biggest commercial success.  It would be logical to use it as a "baseline."  Yet... You vex me that you seem to embrace this as a baseline for his music?

I am not dsiputing that it is an awesome place to start though.

Just pulling your "commercial leg"... :P  :)

604416[/snapback]

Commercial leg is throbbing! :doh:

I vex myself, sometime. Moondance is one of the rare commercial successes that is also an artistic success. One of the many things that really separates Van from the hordes of sell-outs is Van didn't try to repeat his commercial success over and over. He actually almost ran from it.

I suggested it because it is accessible while still being artistic and beautiful. It has elements of Jazz, folk, rock and R&B...well, not much rock, actually. Astral Weeks is as beautiful and artistic an album as a popular music album can be, IMO. But, it is SO different from what most people's ears are used to, it's not a great place to start, IMO.

Van's live performances have varied wildly over the years. I saw a pretty bad Van performance when he was supporting the Wavelength album. More recently, Van has performed two or three of the best concerts I've ever seen.

But, while his performance can be sketchy, IMO his albums are almost all solid (contrary to public and critical opinion). To my ears, Van would sound good singing the phonebook. I might not be able to understand the names and address...and I'd barely care. His phrasing and tone just do it for me.

While many/most singers refer to their voice as their "instrument", few actually use it as a REAL instrument. Van is/was a sax player (among other instruments) and you can hear it in his voice. He sings like a sax. Listen and you will hear it...it's beautiful.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vex myself, sometime.  Moondance is one of the rare commercial successes that is also an artistic success.  One of the many things that really separates Van from the hordes of sell-outs is Van didn't try to repeat his commercial success over and over.  He actually almost ran from it.

604431[/snapback]

Your whole post says it all, but this really sums it up. People will say "sell-out"... What does that really mean?... Your contentment between life and work without ever compromising either, no matter what they are.

A "record" company's nightmare! :P:)

Like Dylan, doing their own thing.

Even this discussion... Is just the kind of stuff that would get their ire up.

:doh: