LOST 2.13 Discussion Thread

UConn James

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Or another time. I'm kidding, dude."

That won't come back around, now will it?

598975[/snapback]

Dude...that was the big thing I took from this episode. And did you see the look in Sayid's eyes...I think he gets it too.

Seemed like another rising tension/filler episode.

Have to admit that near the start of the flashback I was thinking that the woman would be conning Sawyer.... Anybody get where the "long con" took place? I'm just trying to puzzle through who on the island is playing which role from the real world. Rationalize it any way you want, but Charlie is going evil, even tho it may be a wanton evil. I don't buy Kate's theory that he does all this to make people hate him; Sawyer did this for a reason, and like he said, it wasn't about pills or shaving cream. And again with the "good person" phrase.

Kate's mom was the waitress in the scene with Sawyer and the set-up guy. (What was the purpose of that guy in the story anyway? And what the hell happened to him?).

Looks like some revelations will be seen next week about the countdown timer. And the introduction of another quirky island-inhabitant.

Probably the best episode that I can remember...

So, is Sawyer's con really over in the flash back? I can see several more layers developing there if they revisit his backstory.

The Charlie twist was played beautifully... very, VERY well done.

Kate's mom was the waitress in the scene with Sawyer and the set-up guy. (What was the purpose of that guy in the story anyway? And what the hell happened to him?).

598990[/snapback]

Hurley was on the radio and said to pay special attention to the restaurant scene. I did not realize who the waitress was. How do you know it was her? What is the significance?

I would love to know what would have to happen in an episode for you to not label it a filler episode.

598999[/snapback]

Yeah....this episode advanced both character and plot. Not much filling -- just rising action. Good stuff.

The "long con" in my mind went down just as the guy in the restaraunt said. Sawyer had reservations about taking her money, but as he said to Charlie "I've never done a good thing in my whole life." He got cold feet, but then went through with it anyway.

That parallels his story with Kate. He used her just as he used the woman from his backstory. His partner warned Sawyer that she would despise him for what he truly is once she found out. And Kate certainly looked like she despises Sawyer now.

So, is Sawyer's con really over in the flash back? I can see several more layers developing there if they revisit his backstory.

598993[/snapback]

I too got the sense that it wasn't. Sawyer told her to go to a specific hotel, etc. He played it in such a way that she understands the money is gone. It was a serious character revelation that Sawyer could say he loved her, pretty convincingly, and then sh--can her. Translates into how he's been with Kate the past few eps. But, tgreg, in that closing scene, I don't think Kate hates him, per se; she just doesn't know why he's doing what he's doing.

Hurley was on the radio and said to pay special attention to the restaurant scene. I did not realize who the waitress was.  How do you know it was her? What is the significance?

598995[/snapback]

I'm 99 percent positive that the waitress was Kate's mum. I don't know what the significance is, but that place didn't look like Iowa. At least Sawyer left her a nice tip.

I would love to know what would have to happen in an episode for you to not label it a filler episode.

598999[/snapback]

Note that the primary term used was "rising action." If you check back thru the discussion threads, I don't often criticize the eps b/c they are what they are; I'm not one who bitches about it when nothing of consequence happens. I considered the ep to be filler-ish b/c nothing really advanced the story with the Others --- it was an internal matter. Yes, it was very important as far as developing the plot and setting things up for the next/upcoming eps, but at this point, we don't know if Sawyer having the guns will come to anything. Hurley spending a whole ep deciding what to do with the hatch food, it wasn't.

We do know that Charlie is willing to do some pretty dark things, and sacrifice the stability and security of the group simply to one-up Locke.

Translates into how he's been with Kate the past few eps. But, tgreg, in that closong scene, I don't think Kate hates him, per se; she just doesn't know why he's doing what he's doing.

599042[/snapback]

I agree to a point. But remember her whole issue before was that he reminded him of her father and how she could never be "good" because her father was a part of her. And after the raft incident, everyone loved Sawyer and made it easier for Kate to feel something for Sawyer (as in maybe she misread him).

But now his true colors have shown, and he screwed her over in the process. That is a tough pill to swallow. It will be interesting to see how she handles that.

Also, when Jin finds out what happened to Sun (and you know he will)...look out.

I'm 99 percent positive that the waitress was Kate's mum. I don't know what the significance is, but that place didn't look like Iowa. At least Sawyer left her a nice tip.

599042[/snapback]

I agree with you that the waitress was Kate's mom. The episode was good, especially the ending with Charlie was involved. It's also good to see Sayid back again. I'm hoping for a Bernard/Rose episode soon as we still no so little about them though did discover he was a dentist through Hurley.

I thought Charlie's jump to "evil" was too much too soon. Yeah, he was having problems with Locke, and we don't know about his heroin use, but to have Charlie's character physically assault Jun (just because Locke frustrated him) was a "leap" to say the least.

They borrowed a page from the old WWF where a guy shakes his buddy's hand and then out of nowhere punches him in the face and basically declares "I'm a bad guy now!"

I agree to a point. But remember her whole issue before was that he reminded him of her father and how she could never be "good" because her father was a part of her. And after the raft incident, everyone loved Sawyer and made it easier for Kate to feel something for Sawyer (as in maybe she misread him).

But now his true colors have shown, and he screwed her over in the process. That is a tough pill to swallow. It will be interesting to see how she handles that.

Also, when Jin finds out what happened to Sun (and you know he will)...look out.

599057[/snapback]

She seemed more hurt that she was used than that she now hates him. Might help to compare this situation with S1 when they found the marshal's Halliburton case. She was all right with him having it so long as he couldn't open it. She also wasn't so concerned about the guns than the toy plane, and yet, she used her wiles to get them to Jack. Like you say, it'll be interesting to see how this goes. That was a few pistols; now, it's the whole arsenal, while the Others represent a threat, detente or not.

Funny that Locke took a page from Handgun Control Inc.

And as an aside, where is Michael? It'd be something if he teamed up with Rousseau to get their kids back. So if it wasn't a hallucination, Walt is at another terminal presumably on the island. Finding out what happens when the code is not entered might reveal what the Others are trying to accomplish; perhaps they're at an abandoned terminal trying to get it to work again. I think it might control the power source inside the hatch.

I agree with you that the waitress was Kate's mom. The episode was good, especially the ending with Charlie was involved. It's also good to see Sayid back again. I'm hoping for a Bernard/Rose episode soon as we still no so little about them though did discover he was a dentist through Hurley.

599115[/snapback]

What I'd like to know is, what was the timeline there? Where does this ep fall wrt the con he was doing where he stopped the deal b/c the kid walked in and he realized he was becoming the same guy he hated (which goes against that "I've never done a good thing in my life"). He's got the hints of becoming a little soft, but then again, you might say he was as hard as a stone, doing a very good job faking he was in love even to the guy who sent him on the con. This whole 'going soft' thing is thrown out of whack by Kate's mother showing up. As we know, she was dying in the hospital about two years prior to the plane crash.

Also meant to mention the gold necklace con where Sawyer said, while putting the bandage on, that it'll be harder for them to identify as he'll just be some guy who looked like he was in a barfight.... Something for which he was deported (headbutting the minister of... fisheries?) and put on 815.