The National Anthem

billsfanone

All I could think of when the anthem started was the Saturday Night Live skit the night before when Horatio Sanz was playing the guy & Keenan Thompson was Areatha.  Sanz started laughing in the middle when he was imitating the singer, and I didn't know why until he did the anthem just like Horatio had done the night before.

596486[/snapback]

Not to hijack the thread, but did you just say you didn't know why Horatio started laughing in the middle of a skit? That's all that guy ever does! I very rarely watch that show anymore, but I can't remember a skit where he hasn't started snickering or all out laughing. A horrible show, and he exemplifies what is wrong with it.

Back to the topic...yes it was bad. For some reason the people singing the anthem seem to be under the impression that they have to "make their mark". While Whitney Houston's rendition is the one that all others will be judged by, it also did start this downward trend. Everyone thinks they can boost their fame by doing something "special". Most people would be plenty happy just hearing that song straight up.

From Peter King "Monday Morning Quarterback"

Anthem of the Week

Aretha Franklin, Dr. John, Aaron Neville. Second-best anthem of the 22 Super Bowls I've covered, next to Whitney Houston's. Moving, terrific. Did you see Cowher's reaction? I've never seen a coach clap so enthusiastically for an anthem. Not sure if I've ever seen a coach respond to one, period.

Monday Morning Quarterback

She's actually the one who added all the vocal gymnastics that everyone else since has more or less tried to emulate.  Regardless, as my post in the other thread (over in Off the Wall) said, last night was the reason why most "live" performances you see in the Super Bowl are lip synched (including the afore-mentioned Whitney Houston version of the National Anthem).  They couldn't keep microphones set to the right levels in the "house" feed, I can just imagine how horrid the monitors were.

596134[/snapback]

"Vocal gymnastics." I like that. During this year "event" I turned to my wife and asked why they always have to re-write that song. She said that's just the way Aaron Neville sings. Well then, get a different singer. Dont' they do auditions?

From Peter King "Monday Morning Quarterback"

Anthem of the Week

Aretha Franklin, Dr. John, Aaron Neville. Second-best anthem of the 22 Super Bowls I've covered, next to Whitney Houston's. Moving, terrific. Did you see Cowher's reaction? I've never seen a coach clap so enthusiastically for an anthem. Not sure if I've ever seen a coach respond to one, period.

Monday Morning Quarterback

596724[/snapback]

:doh:

In my view, nothing less than a person with a booming Wagnerian opera voice with razor-sharp diction should be allowed to perform.

Guess I'll be the voice of (half) decent. While I thought the Aaron Neville half of the anthom was absolutly horrid I thought the second half when Aretha sang was spectacular, perhaps the best I've heard at the Super Bowl.

Now I'm curious.  Missed it!  I'm not a big fan of Neville's warbling, but I love Aretha and Dr. John.  Been combing the net, still don't see a clip.

596797[/snapback]

Same here...I usually can find ANYTHING :blush: ...Good ole google.

My biggest complaint was the wasted talent of Dr. John, I got exactly what I expected from the Nat'l anthem.  Aaron Neville singing in his very unique style and Aretha belting it out in her manner.  Why not use Dr. John more than as just a piano player?  I would have liked to hear him take a verse.

596491[/snapback]

I agree 100%, Pooj !

I was looking forward to hearing him sing. It's not like he could play like "Duke Elegant" on the keyboards, given the song. :D

Aaron Neville looked like he was trying to drop a log on the stage. Horatio Sanz sings Neville better than Neville does. Why can't that dude get that giant mole removed from his head? That thing has it's own zip code.

I wonder how much it cost the NFL to take the roof off of Ford Field to airlift Aretha Franklin in to sing? I bet she was paid in food. Ford Field would have ran out of hot dogs, nachos and pizza but Aretha left at halftime. Jesus, just put the fork down and back away from the buffet once in awhile.

Your national anthem is meanto to be a upbeat ditty. TMQ did an analysis of National Anthems some time ago... I think it's meant to be sung in something under 45 seconds. Anything above is a butchering...

Whitney Housten, KILLED your anthem. Now every bugger thinks it needs a vibrato warble every 4 bars.

Get an anthem like ours - one that sounds best when sung by a crowd of drunks who can only remember one verse and includes mandatory lyrics such as "Da Da Dad Dahhhhh SEEEEEEEND HEERRRRR VVIIIICCCCTOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOUS"

Amen Nick!!! Our anthem: The words written by Francis Scott Key while being held captive by you buggers from England. However the music, alledgedly is from some pub, drinking song. Which I for one think is quite perfect!

Your national anthem is meanto to be a upbeat ditty.  TMQ did an analysis of National Anthems some time ago... I think it's meant to  be sung in something under 45 seconds.  Anything above is a butchering...

Whitney Housten, KILLED your anthem.  Now every bugger thinks it needs a vibrato warble every 4 bars.

Get an anthem like ours - one that sounds best when sung by a crowd of drunks who can only remember one verse and includes mandatory lyrics such as "Da Da Dad Dahhhhh SEEEEEEEND HEERRRRR VVIIIICCCCTOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOUS"

598313[/snapback]

This is a funny thread...My mate and I couldn't work out what was going on. I suspected it was the Anthem, but neither of us were that sure to have bet on it. At least you don't have "girt" in your Anthem...as in "girt by sea". Who has ever used "Girt" in a sentence before or since the writing of the tragic Oz anthem...and we'll hear it daily during the Commonwealth Games- yawn...