Hey Leafs' Fans...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it's amazing to me how easy it is for some people to "T-Bone" between teams.  So many people don't understand how I can't be a Hurricanes fan simply because I live in Raleigh now.  What's really sad is that former WNYers aren't even immune.  I know two people with WNY roots who will be going to the Canes-Sabres game here in a few weeks who will be rooting for Carolina.  It's disgusting.

591271[/snapback]

You know, I have to admit, this phenomenon is happening to me. I am a Leaf fan since a kid but since moving to the Bay Area I find myself becoming more of a San Jose Shark fan. It helps that the Sharks are a much better team but i dont think that has anything to do with it. Soon Im sure I will be a full blown Shark fan. In fact, last season(before the lockout) the Leafs made a rare appearence at the HP Pavillion and I wore my Nolan Leaf jersey. That game I was kinda feeling torn. Its developed further now though. I find myself looking forward much more to Shark games.

You know, I have to admit, this phenomenon is happening to me. I am a Leaf fan since a kid but since moving to the Bay Area I find myself becoming more of a San Jose Shark fan. It helps that the Sharks are a much better team but i dont think that has anything to do with it. Soon Im  sure I will be a full blown Shark fan. In fact, last season(before the lockout) the Leafs made a rare appearence at the HP Pavillion and I wore my Nolan Leaf jersey. That game I was kinda feeling torn. Its developed further now though. I find myself looking forward much more to Shark games.

591616[/snapback]

Perhaps that's because the Sharks have more North Americans playing for them.

Nah - if he'd done that, he would've jumped ship on the Habs a long time ago, because they've been mediocre for about the last ten years. Or right about the time they ran off one of the best goalies to ever play the game.

F#^! Mario Tremblay anyhow.

Hey, nobody's perfect. Blame it on Guy Lafleur.

591435[/snapback]

hah

Lori, too funny. The fact that this storied organization would choose Mario Tremblay, a guy with no coaching experience to replace a stanley cup winning illiterate coach, to replace one of the best goaltenders of all time for jocelyn thibault, andrei kovalenko and martin rucinsky. The fact is, Ronald Corey was very french biased, (although getting rid of Roy was a weird move). I don't get it, these guys want Quebec born players, why not go get the good ones like Lecavalier, St Louis and so on, instead of the Rivets and the Ribieiro's

oh the horror

You know, I have to admit, this phenomenon is happening to me. I am a Leaf fan since a kid but since moving to the Bay Area I find myself becoming more of a San Jose Shark fan. It helps that the Sharks are a much better team but i dont think that has anything to do with it. Soon Im  sure I will be a full blown Shark fan. In fact, last season(before the lockout) the Leafs made a rare appearence at the HP Pavillion and I wore my Nolan Leaf jersey. That game I was kinda feeling torn. Its developed further now though. I find myself looking forward much more to Shark games.

591616[/snapback]

Sharks are a great team. One of the rare teams that does well in a warm climate. Will be strong with Thornton there.

No one, and I mean no one, is better than Brodeur in a big game.

I'd look good too if I played behind a team that spent 10+ years racking up more tackles than Chris Spielman.

I'm not saying Brodeur sucks, he's definitely pretty good. But he's not that good and there's a Lot of guys who could have ahd just as much success in that situation.

The "new" NHL is exposing him for what he always was; an above average goaltender who benefited from playing behind a defense that never exposed him.

Go back and look through his career and you'll consistently find him in the middle of the pack in save%, a statistic that tells more about a 'tenders individual play than any other.

The guy was a solid steady goaltender, but when he goes to the HOF it'll be because he played on a great team for a long time, not because he was better than his contemporaries.

I'd look good too if I played behind a team that spent 10+ years racking up more tackles than Chris Spielman.

I'm not saying Brodeur sucks, he's definitely pretty good. But he's not that good and there's a Lot of guys who could have ahd just as much success in that situation.

The "new" NHL is exposing him for what he always was; an above average goaltender who benefited from playing behind a defense that never exposed him.

Go back and look through his career and you'll consistently find him in the middle of the pack in save%, a statistic that tells more about a 'tenders individual play than any other.

The guy was a solid steady goaltender, but when he goes to the HOF it'll be because he played on a great team for a long time, not because he was better than his contemporaries.

591720[/snapback]

i'd have to disagree, the guy won a gold medal and I don't know how many cups. He did have a great defence in front of him, don't get me wrong but he was one of the best goaltenders out there. Roy eclipses him because he won two cups on his own but Brodeur is just sick.

591720[/snapback]

Oh come on Simon, are you kidding me?

Brodeur is still having a great season this season. There is no other goalie I would rather have in a big game. The guy is clutch.

591720[/snapback]

This guy has averaged 70 games a season over the past 10 years, never had a losing record, and never had a goal against under .906......How exactly is he being "exposed" this season with a 25 and 16 record and .908 sv% ?

Oh come on Simon, are you kidding me?

Brodeur is still having a great season this season. There is no other goalie I would rather have in a big game. The guy is clutch.

591888[/snapback]

Not even Patrick Roy?

Brodeur is a great goalie make no mistake about it...the one thing about Marty is though, if I needed to win 1 game and only 1 game...he would not be my top choice...and thats not to say Martin isnt a great goalie....his record in OT in the playoffs is very subpar (I think its 8-16 or something like that)...but believe me I wouldnt compain one bit if he was the goalie for my team.

This guy has averaged 70 games a season over the past 10 years, never had a losing record, and never had a goal against under .906......How exactly is he being "exposed" this season with a 25 and 16 record and .908 sv% ?

591978[/snapback]

Agreed. About 4 weeks ago however, we would be signing a different tune about Brodeur for this year, but Brodeur and the Devils have caught fire and Marty is back on his game, but as of Christmas Marty was playing terrible.

You know it's amazing to me how easy it is for some people to "T-Bone" between teams.  So many people don't understand how I can't be a Hurricanes fan simply because I live in Raleigh now.  What's really sad is that former WNYers aren't even immune.  I know two people with WNY roots who will be going to the Canes-Sabres game here in a few weeks who will be rooting for Carolina.  It's disgusting.

591271[/snapback]

Quick story, when I moved to DC in late 80's, absolutely convinced myself i could become a Caps fan, even went so far as to buy seasons. But after bout 20 home games, my heart just could not get into rooting for the Caps. Realized then I could become a huge O's, Terps and Bullets fan, but as far as football and hockey were concerned, nnobody cept the Bills and Sabres.

We`were born to love those two teams, nothing one can do about it.

one day I would love for the Sabres PA guy to announce, mid game, Gordie, your lights are on..I think half of the mullet Leaf fans would get up to check

590537[/snapback]

Yesterday, I am trying to drive down the freeway during rush hour when I think of this post. I was laughing so hard I almost lost the strength required to manage the steering wheel! I can just imagine all the mullets tailing out. Make that "oot".

Yesterday, I am trying to drive down the freeway during rush hour when I think of this post.  I was laughing so hard I almost lost the strength required to manage the steering wheel!  I can just imagine all the mullets tailing out.  Make that "oot".

592190[/snapback]

I agree...that is a classic post!! :D:)

Yesterday, I am trying to drive down the freeway during rush hour when I think of this post.  I was laughing so hard I almost lost the strength required to manage the steering wheel!  I can just imagine all the mullets tailing out.  Make that "oot".

592190[/snapback]

tons of Wendell Clark, Darryl Sittler, Borje Salming, Mike Palmateer jersey wearing mullet heads..kicking over the 7 beers in front of them...get ooot of my way....

tons of Wendell Clark, Darryl Sittler, Borje Salming, Mike Palmateer jersey wearing mullet heads..kicking over the 7 beers in front of them...get ooot of my way....

592290[/snapback]

I might have to leave the car and take the trolley!

Take off Gordie!

Perhaps that's because the Sharks have more North Americans playing for them.

591635[/snapback]

Sharks have one of the most NA player content in the league. Also, next to Ottawa, they have the most Shark drafted players starting. Not too many FA's. Thats nice. Very good management in SJ. This is in stark contrast to the Leafs. Problem with the Leafs is they dont HAVE to have a good team to survive. Place is full regardless. They get the huge local TV contracts regardless. Sharks, and the Sabres management for that matter, have to work thier asses off to get fans in the seats. Highly motivated management

Sharks have one of the most NA player content in the league. Also, next to Ottawa, they have the most Shark drafted players starting. Not too many FA's. Thats nice. Very good management in SJ. This is in stark contrast to the Leafs. Problem with the Leafs is they dont HAVE to have a good team to survive. Place is full regardless. They get the huge local TV contracts regardless. Sharks, and the Sabres management for that matter, have to work thier asses off to get fans in the seats. Highly motivated management

592530[/snapback]

agree with you there, same thing goes for habs, canucks and other canadian teams. they're so happy that they have a franchise that they'll go watch the games no matter what.

592530[/snapback]

How good is Jonathan Cheechoo right now???

Since acquiring Joe Thornton from Boston on Dec. 2, he has 24 goals, 12 assists and a plus-18 rating in the 26-game span.

Thats UNREAL