Ted Cottrell interviewed by Bills for DC job today

at this point ted is the most proven and most reliable avalable left other then bates with the right pick up in draft and FA the 3-4 could fit the team well as the LB position is probably the strongest on the team

588830[/snapback]

I would love to see Ted back. He is a proven DEF Cord. and was excellent with the Bills and Vikings. I personally would rather have him than Bates.

I'm really not overally excited about Ted Cotrell. In my opinion, he has proven to be a 1-dimensional defensive coach....only being able to run a 3-4 D. In NY the last couple of years, and last year in Minnesota ( where they have unbelievable young D-Line talent), Cotrell's units continued to underachieve . They all also ran base 4 down linemen fronts.

The Bills have some good personell....but they can't hold a candle to the D-Line in Minnesota.

Kevin Williams and Pat Williams inside and Kenechi Udeze/ Erasmus James/ Darrion Scott rotating at DE.

If Cotrell couldn't make that D-Line dominant...what is he going to do with Chris Kelsay and Tim Anderson?

588835[/snapback]

What about the D-line with the Jets when he had Abraham, Ellis, Ferguson and Robertson? As much as many here love Teddy the truth is he's been fired by two teams in two seasons despite a lack of talent.

What about the D-line with the Jets when he had Abraham, Ellis, Ferguson and Robertson? As much as many here love Teddy the truth is he's been fired by two teams in two seasons despite a lack of talent.

588864[/snapback]

I'm not too worried about that, it'll be Jauron's D anyways. Ted just has to get his players motivated & get them to execute DJ's schemes.... he'd be fine.

Just like he implemented Edwards' schemes with the Jets?  :D

588906[/snapback]

Edwards was never a DC. He joined the Jets after being asst. HC/DB coach with the Bucs for 5 years...working for Dungy. Unlike DJ, I never considered Herm as a great defensive mind... more of a good motivator.

Cotrell without Wade = Gray without Williams.

No thanks.

588974[/snapback]

no. people *always, always* have this habit of forgetting the key thing: talent. in ny, the jets had horrible linebacking when he got there: a decrepit marvin jones, an ancient mo lewis, and a sam cowart who never was what he had been before. it killed them. cottrell put them in position to make plays. they simply couldn't make them because they were too slow. the addition of robertson, eric barton, and especially jonathan vilma hugely increased the speed and aggressiveness factor on the jets defense, and it showed in the results.

basically, you need players. wade didn't have them the last year he was defensive coordinator in atlanta or his last year as head coach in denver. neither defense could stop anyone, despite the fact that he is clearly a good coach.

I'm really not overally excited about Ted Cotrell. In my opinion, he has proven to be a 1-dimensional defensive coach....only being able to run a 3-4 D. In NY the last couple of years, and last year in Minnesota ( where they have unbelievable young D-Line talent), Cotrell's units continued to underachieve . They all also ran base 4 down linemen fronts.

The Bills have some good personell....but they can't hold a candle to the D-Line in Minnesota.

Kevin Williams and Pat Williams inside and Kenechi Udeze/ Erasmus James/ Darrion Scott rotating at DE.

If Cotrell couldn't make that D-Line dominant...what is he going to do with Chris Kelsay and Tim Anderson?

588835[/snapback]

You have 42 posts what do you know anyways?> :D

Cotrell without Wade = Gray without Williams.

No thanks.

588974[/snapback]

1) Gray w/o Williams had a pretty good defense last year

2) Wade has had some stinker defenses in Atlanta and San Diego; I'm not sure where all this talk about how great Wade is as a DC comes from. He's average.

3) Cotrell is also pretty average; but given good players--and we already have a good number on defense--he'll field a top-10 unit pretty easily.

1) Gray w/o Williams had a pretty good defense last year

2) Wade has had some stinker defenses in Atlanta and San Diego; I'm not sure where all this talk about how great Wade is as a DC comes from. He's average.

3) Cotrell is also pretty average; but given good players--and we already have a good number on defense--he'll field a top-10 unit pretty easily.

589165[/snapback]

Wade's defences played lights out at various and many points in his career. TC just got fired from 2 DC jobs in 2 years. And the last after MIN made substantial FA investments on the defensive side of the ball. It is safe to say that TC's ONLY success as a DC came when Wade was our HC. After Wade had already got the system up and runing - and successful.