Donate Blood?

inkman

you can't donate blood if you consumed illegal narcotics

i remember hearing that, not 100% sure though

588848[/snapback]

Reason being, before they could screen for HIV directly, they had to do it by risk category. IV drug users (i.e. narcotics) were a high-risk category for AIDS.

I believe at the time they also tried to convince gays not to donate blood...but they couldn't actually forbid it because it's a civil rights violation (like the friggin' virus cares :D).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What they check/ask...

Acupuncture

Allergy, Stuffy Nose, Itchy Eyes, Dry Cough

Antibiotics

Aspirin

Asthma

Birth Control

Bleeding Disorders

Blood Pressure, High

Blood Pressure, Low

Blood Transfusion

Cancer

Chronic Illnesses

Cold, Flu

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD)

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Variant (vCJD);"Mad Cow Disease"

Dental Procedures

Donation Intervals

Heart Disease

Heart Murmur, Heart Valve Disorder

Hemochromatosis

Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, Blood Count

Hepatitis, Jaundice

Hepatitis Exposure

Herpes (see Sexually Transmitted Disease)

HIV, AIDS

Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRP)

HPV (see Sexually Transmitted Disease)

Hypertension, High Blood Pressure

Immunization, Vaccination

Infections

Insulin (bovine)

Intravenous Drug Use

Malaria

Medications

Organ/Tissue Transplants

Piercing (ears, body), Electrolysis

Pregnancy, Nursing

Sexually Transmitted Disease

Sickle Cell

Syphilis/Gonorrhea

Tattoo

Tuberculosis

Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration

Vaccinations

Venereal Diseases

Weight

Explanations of each

589037[/snapback]

WOW! But, most of these are what they ask...not test for. I remember that if I answered all the questions honestly there's no way they'd ever take my blood. :D

Have a had a cold recently (the answer was almost always yes)

Do I get a bloody nose for no reason (doesn't everyone?)

etc.

Other people told me they just say "no" to all that stuff. I tell the truth. When i list all the medications i take, i figure their eyes just glaze over. When I had to take a drug test for a job (I passed, BTW), you should have seen the look on the face of the technician as she was reading my list of medications. :D

Reason being, before they could screen for HIV directly, they had to do it by risk category.  IV drug users (i.e. narcotics) were a high-risk category for AIDS. 

I believe at the time they also tried to convince gays not to donate blood...but they couldn't actually forbid it because it's a civil rights violation (like the friggin' virus cares  :D).

589097[/snapback]

The standard Red Cross questionnaire includes one for gays. They're asked/told that they should not give blood b/c of a higher statistical chance (I don't know by how much it is; could be 5 percent, could be 50 percent) they might have HIV/AIDS.

Link.

Just curious if my fellow posters give some of their blood to help out others?  I did for the first time this weekend. 

p.s.  Any idea why it looks like someone took a sledgehammer to the area the blood was drawn from?  (please save your "google.com" or "webmd.com" retorts)

588173[/snapback]

Over four gallons.

Save a life give blood.

Blood donations >>> Yup...The next donation I'll hit the 13 gallon mark...

I am lucky in that I have great veins and the Red Cross calls a lot since I have

O neg......

In Ohio, the local paper would put your picture in the paper with a quote why you donated...Everyone said "I donate to help people" and crap like that....When it was my turn, I told the reporter "I donated 'cause I liked NEEDLES"....Needless to say 'they' kicked that one ...

Blood  donations >>> Yup...The next  donation I'll hit the 13 gallon mark...

I am lucky in that I have great  veins and the Red Cross calls a lot since I have

O neg......

In Ohio,  the local paper would put your picture in the paper with a quote why you donated...Everyone said "I donate to help people" and crap like that....When it was my turn, I told the reporter "I donated 'cause I liked NEEDLES"....Needless to say 'they' kicked that one ...

590274[/snapback]

Well, you could have gone with "I like pricks". :lol:

Blood  donations >>> Yup...The next  donation I'll hit the 13 gallon mark...

I am lucky in that I have great  veins and the Red Cross calls a lot since I have

O neg......

In Ohio,  the local paper would put your picture in the paper with a quote why you donated...Everyone said "I donate to help people" and crap like that....When it was my turn, I told the reporter "I donated 'cause I liked NEEDLES"....Needless to say 'they' kicked that one ...

590274[/snapback]

They have blood drives here at work, so I get paid to give. :lol: