Talk coordinators all you want

Like A Mofo

We can sit here and debate whether Fairchild was a good hire or not....if Bates is the right guy for the job etc....as for me yeah, Im boring...Im neutral...and not so much for the reason of "wait till the season"

Lets be honest. There are more bright minds out there in the NFL world then we realize. Sure there are a lot of duds, but there are a lot of coordinators and coaches (at least I believe) who have great ideas but have not lived up to expectations.

A reason that I believe this happens is that the talent on the team does not matchup with the Head Coach or Coordinator's strengths.

Having said this, the real key to the Bills improvements in 2006 and in the near future is to ensure the players that are being brought in from FA or the Draft are in line with what the coordinators and the coach want to do.

And this is why on the surface I am willing to give Jauron a chance, because at least Jauron and Levy seem to have a great chance to have a solid working relationship.

One thing that stood out for me during the Jauron press conference was his comment that you must have a system that plays to the strength of your personnel. I wonder to what extent that lends itself to building a better offensive scheme around the likes of Losman, Evans, McGahee, who are obviously our triplets. Alternately, it sounds like he's interested in looking at who has been successful on defense and bringing in players to complement their collective strengths strengths.

Does that mean going to a 3-4 defense, or a west coast offense? I'm not smart enough technically to answer that, but the key will be ensuring he doesn't try to take existing players and make them run a system that does not play to their strengths.

One thing that stood out for me during the Jauron press conference was his comment that you must have a system that plays to the strength of your personnel.  I wonder to what extent that lends itself to building a better offensive scheme around the likes of Losman, Evans, McGahee, who are obviously our triplets. Alternately, it sounds like he's interesting in looking at who has been successful on defense and bringing in players to complement their collective strengths strengths.

Does that mean going to a 3-4 defense, or a west coast offense? I'm not smart enough technically to answer that, but the key will be ensuring he doesn't try to take existing players and make them run a system that does not play to their strengths.

584708[/snapback]

Personally I would welcome the switch to the 3-4 defense. When run correctly and with the right personnel, that defense seems to succeed more often then not.

With Spikes (hopefully healthy) and Fletcher, I think its realistic to think the Bills can move to a 3-4 style.

Personally I would welcome the switch to the 3-4 defense.  When run correctly and with the right personnel, that defense seems to succeed more often then not.

With Spikes (hopefully healthy) and Fletcher, I think its realistic to think the Bills can move to a 3-4 style.

584713[/snapback]

From what little I know, I think the 3-4 would require bigger DE's than we have presently.

Personally I would welcome the switch to the 3-4 defense.  When run correctly and with the right personnel, that defense seems to succeed more often then not.

584713[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the Bills have 0 defensive lineman who can play the 3-4 well at this point in their careers. It doesn't matter if you have 4 all pro Linebackers if you have 3 humps in front of them.

Unfortunately, the Bills have 0 defensive lineman who can play the 3-4 well at this point in their careers.  It doesn't matter if you have 4 all pro Linebackers if you have 3 humps in front of them.

584724[/snapback]

Good points, did not think of it that way.

Regardless of whether or not the Bills stay at a 4-3 or 3-4, they really need another solid DE.

584713[/snapback]

I agree whole heartedly with your first post...its always nice to read a thread that doesn't imply impending doom in our future.

As for the 3-4...I'm a major advocate of this style of defense. I think our LB core of Spikes-Crowell-Fletcher-Posey could be a bigtime threat. Posey, who has been incorrectly used in our past 4-3 defenses would get the chance to prove why he was picked up from the Texans where he flourished in the 3-4. Crowell is a playmaker who would definately compliment and support Spikes coming off his injury.

The only problem I have with the 3-4 and this team is I dont believe our DL could handle it. The lack of size in our defensive front would get swallowed up quickly by opposing OLs...just like we saw this year with a 4 man front. Sam Adams is a bit too slow to be really productive as a NT, but I have a feeling his days are numbered in Buffalo anyways.

If the Bills are serious about making the switch to the 3-4, I would highly recommend that we take Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata with the first pick. Williams has the size and speed to still be an effective pass rusher out of the 3-4 and Ngata has played NT throughout his college career.

Also, an alternative to the 3-4 that I wouldn't mind seeing or at least experimenting with during training camp is the 3-3-5 bandit defense. While it is similar to the 3-4, instead of having 4 established LBs on the field there are 3 set LBs 4 set DBs and a roving bandit which is typically a SS or a very fast LB. the bandits job is typically to blitz or provide cover for another blitzing player. I think Milloy would fill the position of bandit nicely. Just a thought of mine.

584713[/snapback]

Fletcher is too small to play LB in a 3-4.

You need much bigger, more physical inside LBs because they will be taking on the OGs.

One thing that stood out for me during the Jauron press conference was his comment that you must have a system that plays to the strength of your personnel.  I wonder to what extent that lends itself to building a better offensive scheme around the likes of Losman, Evans, McGahee, who are obviously our triplets. Alternately, it sounds like he's interested in looking at who has been successful on defense and bringing in players to complement their collective strengths strengths.

584708[/snapback]

Based on Fairchild's history with the Rams, his philosophy may not fit with JP's talents.

The Rams utilized a pocket passer who made quick decisions which doesn;t exactly fit with JP's strengths. It looks like Mullarkey had a vision of a mobile QB who could run his gadget plays. The upside he saw with JP may not fit with Fairchild's need for a qucik thinking pocket passer.

A reason that I believe this happens is that the talent on the team does not matchup with the Head Coach or Coordinator's strengths. 

584692[/snapback]

I disagree with this because I think a good coordinator adapts his system to the personnel handed to him. A coordinator who is too stubborn to adapt is system - just because it worked on his previous team - to his new team is not a guy I'd want on the Bills, especially considering all the shake-ups we face, i.e. will Moulds return? Will Willis demand a trade? Is JP the long-term answer?

That said, I think Fairchild did a good job maximzing the talent he was given in St. Louis.

I disagree with this because I think a good coordinator adapts his system to the personnel handed to him. 

584834[/snapback]

I agree with that. There are also guys out there who are so sharp, they can identify undervalued available players, add them to the mix and MAKE their system work quickly. What we typically get are guys who have to stick to their system because they aren't smart or experienced enough to adapt, and then they promptly use the players as an excuse when it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, the Bills have 0 defensive lineman who can play the 3-4 well at this point in their careers.  It doesn't matter if you have 4 all pro Linebackers if you have 3 humps in front of them.

584724[/snapback]

Maybe the Bills do have what's needed for a 3-4.

Adams can play LDE, Denney RDE and Schobel could be a situational RDE with Kelsay as a backup/situational DE. Remember that Pitt was planning to draft Denney and the Bills sometimes utilized him as a DT on obvious passing downs.

If Spikes is back next season, he won't be 100% but may be effective as an ILB alongside London Fletcher. Some combination of Posey, Crowell, Stamer, Haggan and/or free agent pickups could be the OLBs. Remember that Posey was very effective as an OLB in Houston.

The biggest question mark is NT which was missing in the Bills 4-3 last season as well. This position has to be filled through free agency or the draft no matter what the defensive alignment is unless Anderson puts on a lot of weight and muscle.

As for the 3-4...I'm a major advocate of this style of defense.

Sam Adams is a bit too slow to be really productive as a NT, but I have a feeling his days are numbered in Buffalo anyways. 

Also, an alternative to the 3-4 that I wouldn't mind seeing or at least experimenting with during training camp is the 3-3-5 bandit defense.  While it is similar to the 3-4, instead of having 4 established LBs on the field there are 3 set LBs 4 set DBs and a roving bandit which is typically a SS or a very fast LB.  the bandits job is typically to blitz or provide cover for another blitzing player.  I think Milloy would fill the position of bandit nicely.  Just a thought of mine.

584751[/snapback]

I'm a big fan of the 3-4 also, primarily because of its flexibility. Zone blitzing, as evidence by the Bills defense, doesn't work as well in a 4-3.

I actually think that Sam Adams major flaw is not his speed but rather his inability/unwillingness to tie up OLinemen. As a LDE, he'd be able to rush most of the time, which is what he's best at.

Coy Wire, believe it or not, may be ideally suited to the bandit position as it's more LB than free safety.

584713[/snapback]

I read somewhere that the 3-4 has atendency of having a lot of injuries to the OLBs and center of the Line. That makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

I remember when the Bills did run the 3-4, one huge reason they were somewhat successful was because Rusty Jones had them conditioned very well. The other reason was because they had great depth.

Right now, the Bills would have a problem filling the starting LBs and the D-Line in a 3-4.

Another key is the DC. To do the 3-4 successfully, you really need a DC with experience and frankly, those two guys are Wade Phillips or Ted Cotrell. Not to many others seem to do it real successfullt over a sustained amount of time.

I agree whole heartedly with your first post...its always nice to read a thread that doesn't imply impending doom in our future.

As for the 3-4...I'm a major advocate of this style of defense.  I think our LB core of Spikes-Crowell-Fletcher-Posey could be a bigtime threat.  Posey, who has been incorrectly used in our past 4-3 defenses would get the chance to prove why he was picked up from the Texans where he flourished in the 3-4.  Crowell is a playmaker who would definately compliment and support Spikes coming off his injury.

The only problem I have with the 3-4 and this team is I dont believe our DL could handle it.  The lack of size in our defensive front would get swallowed up quickly by opposing OLs...just like we saw this year with a 4 man front.  Sam Adams is a bit too slow to be really productive as a NT, but I have a feeling his days are numbered in Buffalo anyways. 

If the Bills are serious about making the switch to the 3-4, I would highly recommend that we take Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata with the first pick.  Williams has the size and speed to still be an effective pass rusher out of the 3-4 and Ngata has played NT throughout his college career.

Also, an alternative to the 3-4 that I wouldn't mind seeing or at least experimenting with during training camp is the 3-3-5 bandit defense.  While it is similar to the 3-4, instead of having 4 established LBs on the field there are 3 set LBs 4 set DBs and a roving bandit which is typically a SS or a very fast LB.  the bandits job is typically to blitz or provide cover for another blitzing player.  I think Milloy would fill the position of bandit nicely.  Just a thought of mine.

584751[/snapback]

Sam Adams a bit too slow? For his size, his initial burst is amazingly quick. What I don't see is Sam being willing to give him self up and tie up multiple blockers, which is required by a nose tackle in a 3-4. Also, when watching Sam, as big as he is, double teams generally neutralize him fairly well.

The Bills do not currently have the proper personnel (DL's) to run a decent 3-4. Every time this subject comes up, it always ends with the same conclusion. It's starting to get old.

Sam Adams a bit too slow? For his size, his initial burst is amazingly quick. What I don't see is Sam being willing to give him self up and tie up multiple blockers, which is required by a nose tackle in a 3-4. Also, when watching Sam, as big as he is, double teams generally neutralize him fairly well.

The Bills do not currently have the proper personnel (DL's) to run a decent 3-4. Every time this subject comes up, it always ends with the same conclusion. It's starting to get old.

585183[/snapback]

He definately has a great burst...but that burst dies soon as he meets contact. Without enough recovery speed to get back into a play he's basically useless on plays that run around him. Matched with his inability to handle double teams past initial contact makes him useless in a 3-4