(OT) Help me with my music collection

ajzepp

Seems like every once in a while I hear one or more people on here talk about a band they really like. Often times, I'm either not familiar with their particular music, or have never heard of them at all. So being that I really enjoy music, and that I'm going to soon be able to expand my music collection, I was hoping to get some help.

What are some CDs that you guys have and would not be without? I'm mostly interested in performers/groups that maybe aren't as well known yet, but even if you say something like the Rolling Stones, maybe just mention what you consider their greatest albumn. I have a very ecclectic taste in music, so anything goes.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn I LOVE this topic...

O.K. most people do not have my musical taste, but nonetheless...

Here's a few I could NEVER be without...

Temple Of The Dog, Jeff Buckley - Grace, and Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk, Mother Love Bone (the 17 Song Compilation CD), Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning, Anything by Alice In Chains (I know...more mainstream, but there's no way I leave them off any music list I write), Anything by Blind Melon, Unified Theory (that's off the beaten path), Mad Season - Above, Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip Vol. 1and 2...

There's a few for ya! B)

I'll second Mother Love Bone and Blind Melon.

Shame they both had junkies for vocalists.

EDIT: BillsFanNC mentions another below in Carbon Leaf, they're pseudo-local, from Richmond, VA. The best band whose name you've never heard - And "echo echo" is by far and away their best album.

I'll second Mother Love Bone and Blind Melon.

Shame they both had junkies for vocalists.

42487[/snapback]

Throw Layne into that equation, and the fact that Jeff Buckley drowned, and sometimes I think I'm a REAL bad jinx on my favorite Singers...

A TON of heartbreak for me over the years seeing those great talents pass on...But at least they left a great part of themselves behind I guess :blink:

Some you most likely haven't heard of off the top of my head:

Carbon Leaf - Echo Echo. This band encourages people to burn their CD's and spread it around. I have lost count of how many people I have given this CD to. Nearly all of them were floored and couldn't get it out of their CD player. Absolutely phenomenal stuff.

The Old 97's - Too Far to Care. Classic alternative country.

Sloan - Navy Blues or Action Pact. Straight forward Canadian rock. These guys are really good. Recently played with Jet on their US tour.

Wow, you guys are awesome...I've never heard of most of your suggestions....that's exactly what I was hoping for :blink: I just hope most of these can be found on amazon.com when I get around to putting a purchase list together lol

My absolute favorite band is the 5 fellas pictured in the avitar - 311.

Although they are kinda mainstream now, they have been making music for 13 years and their first three albums are the kind you can put in and play without skipping a single song.

Sublime is also very good.

I'm into story/concept albums where you're basically listening to a 60-90 minute movie done with music instead of pictures. These are some of the best.

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle

Ayreon - The Human Equation

-- Ayreon is different than most traditional bands in that there's only one guy. He then brings in new singers for each album. The Human Equation is HIGHLY recommended -- I've been listening to it non-stop for well over a month.

Shadow Gallery - Tyranny (one of my favorite albums)

Savatage - Dead Winter Dead (it's a story about the war-torn country of Serejvo (sp?)

Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera

Savatage - Wake of Megellan

Savatage - Of Poets and Madment

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory (although all Dream Theater albums are great, this is my favorite)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Eve and Other Stories

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Christmas Attic

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Beethoven's Last Night

-- If you get a chance to see them live, GO FOR IT! It's an amazing concernt. I went last year with my wife, her parents and her grandmother (81 years old). I didn't realize it was going to be quite as loud as it was (some parts definately start rocking), and was afraid her mom and grandmother would hate me forever for bringing them to rock concert. After the show, her grandmother said, "That was AWESOME!" and then followed up with, "I didn't like the slow parts as much. They got a little boring.". Go grandma!!! :blink:

http://www.trans-siberian.com/ontour/index.php

Let me know if you get any of these and what you think of 'em! :P

CW

Here's a few I could NEVER be without...

Jeff Buckley - Grace, and Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk

42483[/snapback]

I haven't gotten Sketches b/c Jeff wanted to scrap it and start over before his drowning. But Grace is HIGHLY recommended. Just recently got the Legacy Edition remaster. He basically started the "emo" genre, but that's reductive to his entire style. Great voice and actual FEELING in the words and music. I can't tell you how many artists name him as a big influence.

I'd also suggest Jane Monheit - "Come Dream With Me"

Have you ever heard of The Tragically Hip? They are a great Canadian band that loves playing here in Buffalo. All there stuff is great but i'm still impartial to their older stuff. Some of their best albums are:

Road Apples

Fully Completly

Day for Night

Trouble at the Henhouse

Give these a look. Definitly a great listen.

Jackel, Damn Yankees, Sister Whiskey, Four Horseman.  You guys probably never heard Sister Whiskey or Four Horseman but they are awesome.

42659[/snapback]

Lol. Jackyl! I remember them with the lead singer who plays the chainsaw in that one song. Hilarious.

I haven't jacked my lumber baby

since my chain saw you.....

Seems like every once in a while I hear one or more people on here talk about a band they really like. Often times, I'm either not familiar with their particular music, or have never heard of them at all. So being that I really enjoy music, and that I'm going to soon be able to expand my music collection, I was hoping to get some help.

What are some CDs that you guys have and would not be without? I'm mostly interested in performers/groups that maybe aren't as well known yet, but even if you say something like the Rolling Stones, maybe just mention what you consider their greatest albumn.  I have a very ecclectic taste in music, so anything goes.

42472[/snapback]

Jackel, Damn Yankees, Sister Whiskey, Four Horseman.  You guys probably never heard Sister Whiskey or Four Horseman but they are awesome.

42659[/snapback]

I met the guitar player for Jackel through a mutual friend. Believe it or not, he now works at a library for his day job. He's a cool guy and even got me back stage passes for Alice Cooper