Well it's down to the Bills and Jets for Bates

The Bills and Jets are the only teams without a DC. Every other team has a DC, or DC's (in the case of Houston), even the head coach-less Raiders. Given the fact that the Jets are a mess cap-wise, meaning they'll have to get rid of a good player ot two on defense; that Mangini is younger than Bates, studied under the master Bill Belichick and thus will probably want more say on running the defense (especially since he's a rookie HC); and that with it being down to just 2 teams, a bidding war likely won't occur, I like the Bills' chances of getting him. I really hope it happens and I'd be happy with the coaching staff.

Bates possibly as our DC?! That'll sedate the Sherman lovers for at least a day or two.

If anything should sedate the Sherman lovers, it's that he wanted part ownership and/or GM duties in Buffalo. No thanks. As a fomer Sherman lover, once I found out about that, I was glad it manifested itself earlier rather than later.

If anything should sedate the Sherman lovers, it's that he wanted part ownership and/or GM duties in Buffalo.  No thanks.  As a fomer Sherman lover, once I found out about that, I was glad it manifested itself earlier rather than later.

583999[/snapback]

First I heard of that. Where did you find that out?

First I heard of that.  Where did you find that out?

I had a feeling that since Sherman was the GM and HC of the Pack, he'd want that kind of power again. And it makes sense that something happened over the weekend that made the Bills finally choose Jauron. As for part ownership, that was on ESPN or some other website.

I had a feeling that since Sherman was the GM and HC of the Pack, he'd want that kind of power again. 
Maybe.

And it makes sense that something happened over the weekend that made the Bills finally choose Jauron.
I kind of thought Ralph and Marv just kinda' thought Jauron was a better fit, personality-wise. Nothing nearly as dramatic as what you propose.

As for part ownership, that was on ESPN or some other website.

584009[/snapback]

It wasn't espn (I just did a search of their site). There are a lot of web sites out there, but neither NewsNow or Google News returned anything inferring that Sherman made any such demands. I'm not saying that you didn't see what you said you saw, but I am more than a little skeptical that it actually went down that way.

What it comes down to for me is that there was a reason the Bills waited so long to make an announcement that Jauron was the guy, if indeed he was their guy all along (and the interviews of Lofton, Caldwell, and Capers were courtesy interviews, I believe). It just seemed like something happened on Saturday, as SOPRANO'S source (who has been batting .500) said, to make them finally go with Jauron. Maybe it's wrong I don't know (and I don't think any of us will ever know) or maybe people really DO think that Sherman was successful because of a weak division and Favre. In any case, I like the assistants the Bills have added so far, and Bates' addition would make me feel a lot better about Jaruon.

and bates would come here knowing sherman got snubbed?

584122[/snapback]

I don't have a crystal ball, but IF Bates is offered the job, and IF he turns it down only because Sherman's personality and/or style and/or philosphy didn't mesh with those of Levy's and/or Jauron's, he's not the type of guy I'd want in Bflo anyway....

Also in that Clayton article

Bills coach Dick Jauron got a later start than the Jets' Eric Mangini, but he's jumped to a significant lead in assembling his staff. Jauron beat out the Jets for former Rams offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. The Bills made a great hire along their defensive line by getting Bill Kollar of the Rams. Those two moves show the advantage of having an established, longtime head coach vs. a young 34-year-old head coach. Jauron has a long history in the NFL and a great reputation for assistants. Mangini is a bright mind, but he doesn't have a long background of working with different coaches.

I had a feeling that since Sherman was the GM and HC of the Pack, he'd want that kind of power again.  And it makes sense that something happened over the weekend that made the Bills finally choose Jauron.  As for part ownership, that was on ESPN or some other website.

584009[/snapback]

The only place that was ever seen was right here on TBD. Soprano said it when Jaraun got into town. As far as anyone knows, Sherman was never in the lead for the job and never negotiated anything.

The only place that was ever seen was right here on TBD.  Soprano said it when Jaraun got into town.  As far as anyone knows, Sherman was never in the lead for the job and never negotiated anything.

True and as I mentioned, likely we'll never know what happened. But I still believe that ultimately what prevented Sherman from coming to Buffalo was him wanting GM duties, since he had that in GB, and once you've tasted power, you want more. Whether he made that clear from the beginning or in an 11th hour power play, as I said we'll probably never know.

A lot of folks mention that the Sheman no-deal might sway Bates. And while its impossible to say. .. Based on some of the packer fan comments on this board recently, it sounded like the two had a business relationship. I remember reading that they did not usually interact on the sidelines, at practice, or at social functions.

Why Bates? Who is this guy and why is he so special?

I see now..............thanks

584001[/snapback]

For starters he is the best DC available. He worked wonders with a young and injured Pack D last year. Prior to that, he was the reason that Miami's defenses were so damn good all those years. After Wandstadt was fired during the 2004 season he took over as interim HC. They won 3 of their last 6 games including a HUGE win over the Patriots. Quite an accomplishment when you consider the situation the Phins were in last year. Many of the Dolphins players were lobbying for Bates to get the HC job before Saban was hired.

We would be very fortunate to land him.

For starters he is the best DC available. He worked wonders with a young and injured Pack D last year. Prior to that, he was the reason that Miami's defenses were so damn good all those years. After Wandstadt was fired during the 2004 season he took over as interim HC. They won 3 of their last 6 games including a HUGE win over the Patriots. Quite an accomplishment when you consider the situation the Phins were in last year. Many of the Dolphins players were lobbying for Bates to get the HC job before Saban was hired.

We would be very fortunate to land him.

584267[/snapback]

Top 10 defense every year of the 10 yrs he's coordinated an NFL team. What other coordinator in the league has that accolade?