Bates, Olson, McNally

Jukester

Rams insider Jim Thomas of the Post Dispatch was on the morning talk show here in St. Louis and here’s what he dished regarding the Rams:

1. Talks with Jim Bates for DC have fallen through. It seems Bates wanted more than the Rams were willing to pay - $1 mil plus.

2. Greg Olson is just about wrapped up as the OC

3. Jim McNally was mentioned by Rams brass when discussing O-line coaches.

Thought I’d pass it along.

Sean Payton in New Orleans has also targeted McNally for his O-line coach. Man I sure hope ML and DJ hold on to McNally. As for Bates, I don't think RW will pay that kind of money for a coordinator.

Rams insider Jim Thomas of the Post Dispatch was on the morning talk show here in St. Louis and here’s what he dished regarding the Rams:

1.  Talks with Jim Bates for DC have fallen through.  It seems Bates wanted more than the Rams were willing to pay - $1 mil plus.

2.  Greg Olson is just about wrapped up as the OC

3.  Jim McNally was mentioned by Rams brass when discussing O-line coaches.

Thought I’d pass it along. 

Sean Payton in New Orleans has also targeted McNally for his O-line coach.  Man I sure hope ML and DJ hold on to McNally.  As for Bates, I don't think RW will pay that kind of money for a coordinator.

581525[/snapback]

I am pretty sure McNally is under a new contract right now that was extended right before Mularkey resigned. Of course Jauron would have to want to keep him but I can't imagine a better option out there.

I am pretty sure McNally is under a new contract right now that was extended right before Mularkey resigned.  Of course Jauron would have to want to keep him but I can't imagine a better option out there.

581540[/snapback]

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just surprised that there was so much interest in someone that wasn't really available. Is there something that we don't know?

I am pretty sure McNally is under a new contract right now that was extended right before Mularkey resigned.  Of course Jauron would have to want to keep him but I can't imagine a better option out there.

581540[/snapback]

Unless, unless that Sherman story was right, and Ralph was ready to pay him what he wanted, then I could see Ralph deciding to use that money on Bates, since Jauron is not going to command as much as Sherman needed.

My only questions are:

1) whether or not Bates is on Jauron's radar. and

2) were the Caldwell and Lofton interviews really for coordinator positions, and just "officially" head coaching interviews?

McNally can't go anywhere, unless they make him OC. Not even giving him the "AHC" title will work. But if teams are looking at him, it's possible the Bills gave him permission to find a new team. If so, I'm really going to be pissed.

Oh and thankfully Olson isn't coming here. He's done nothing in the NFL to warrant making him an OC, IMHO.

McNally can't go anywhere, unless they make him OC.  Not even giving him the "AHC" title will work.  But if teams are looking at him, it's possible the Bills gave him permission to find a new team.  If so, I'm really going to be pissed.

Oh and thankfully Olson isn't coming here.  He's done nothing in the NFL to warrant making him an OC, IMHO.

581561[/snapback]

You know, i may be wrong and may need some clarification, but I think that the rule where any caoches could move it was deemed a promotion is no longer the case, except for a move to head coach. I have been reading alot where the Lions new HC , who was the D-Line coach, had several inquires about becoming a DC, but the Bucs refused to let him interview as he was under contract, even though the DC would have been a promotion. Same thing happening now as that guy wants to hire his son in law, now the linebackers caoch at Tampa, to be his DC, and the bucs are denying permision

You know, i may be wrong and may need some clarification, but I think that the rule where any caoches could move it was deemed a promotion is no longer the case, except for a move to head coach. I have been reading alot where the Lions new HC , who was the D-Line coach, had several inquires about becoming a DC, but the Bucs refused to let him interview as he was under contract, even though the DC would have been a promotion. Same thing happening now as that guy wants to hire his son in law, now the linebackers caoch at Tampa, to be his DC, and the bucs are denying permision

581591[/snapback]

Yah i remember hearing something similar. The only time a team cant deny interview permission is if the promotion will be a head coach. If a team wants to swipe another assistant for a coordinator or somethng, the need permission. I believe this was done to prevent a new HC from raiding his old team to put together his new staff.

Yah i remember hearing something similar. The only time a team cant deny interview permission is if the promotion will be a head coach. If a team wants to swipe another assistant for a coordinator or somethng, the need permission. I believe this was done to prevent a new HC from raiding his old team to put together his new staff.

Exactly, and using the "assistant head coach" BS title thing to do it.

Yeah, I'd hate to lose McNalley considering what a great job he did with our OL.  :D

581615[/snapback]

I don't know why everyone is so high on McNally. He hasn't done crap with our OLine. I'd almost like to see him gone.

Yeah, I'd hate to lose McNalley considering what a great job he did with our OL.  :D

581615[/snapback]

Thank you. I am tired of everyone praising McNally as a genius on the o-line. What has he done in the two years he has been here? Our o-line has been below average during his tenure. I realize the talent hasnt been very good either but McNally was hailed with being able to fix any line.

McNally can't go anywhere, unless they make him OC.  Not even giving him the "AHC" title will work.  But if teams are looking at him, it's possible the Bills gave him permission to find a new team.  If so, I'm really going to be pissed.

Oh and thankfully Olson isn't coming here.  He's done nothing in the NFL to warrant making him an OC, IMHO.

581561[/snapback]

Why what has Jim McNally done to really impress you ? Our O-Line has sucked bad the entire time. He hasn't elevated their play at all. Good bye McNally !

Why what has Jim McNally done to really impress you ? Our O-Line has sucked bad the entire time. He hasn't elevated their play at all. Good bye McNally !

581655[/snapback]

Are you kidding me. He took a bunch of no-names and had one of the better running games in the league at the end of 2004. Remember how everyone was enthralled with Willis at the time. Well he needed a good line to do what he did. I agree he's no miracle worker but he's right up there as far as O-line coaches go. Otherwise he wouldn't be garnering so much interest.

It's easy to say good-bye but who are you going to replace him with?