(LAMP) My Daughter Was Accepted...

She was also accepted to many other schools. If she chooses to go away, Buffalo is my obvious preference.

People are already teasing her, saying that if she goes there, she will look down at the floor on Sunday Mornings and see her father curled up in a Bills comforter, soon to wake up and go to the game.

We shall see. :D

She was also accepted to many other schools. If she chooses to go away, Buffalo is my obvious preference.

People are already teasing her, saying that if she goes there, she will look down at the floor on Sunday Mornings and see her father curled up in a Bills comforter, soon to wake up and go to the game.

We shall see.  :D

579362[/snapback]

con grats . , time will go fast . my son is in his last year at Canisius

579362[/snapback]

Congrats to your daughter! Does she have any firm idea of a major yet?

Congrats to your daughter!  Does she have any firm idea of a major yet?

579415[/snapback]

She is looking at psychology. Some do not like this, but one thing I would never attempt to do is steer any of my kids from pursuing their goals.

My oldest graduates from Dartmouth this fall. She is taking a year off to work and save money, and is taking the LSATs in June.

It is the greatest feeling in the world to watch my children soar past anything that I was ever able to accomplish, even if it does leave my wife and I with about 3 cents. :D

She is looking at psychology. Some do not like this, but one thing I would never attempt to do is steer any of my kids from pursuing their goals.

My oldest graduates from Dartmouth this fall. She is taking a year off to work and save money, and is taking the LSATs in June.

It is the greatest feeling in the world to watch my children soar past anything that I was ever able to accomplish, even if it does leave my wife and I with about 3 cents.  :D

579439[/snapback]

You have good children. Psychology is a fine vocation.

I recall the old conventional wisdom saying that it took about 3 semesters before students settled on a major - but I know that young folks are a bit more firm in their college choices these days.

Psychology is a fine vocation.

For most people, I"d disagree. Bill, ask your daughter WHY she wants to get a degree in psych. Lots of kids say, "It just sounds interesting," If that's the case, suggest that she can still take a bunch of psych classes if she wants, but she can major in something else. My wife has a psych degree, and it pretty much led to nothing... She went back to school to get her drug and alcohol counceling certification, so things worked out ok, but that's not really what she wanted to do. (she's now going back to get her MBA).

Just find out what plans she has; if she has something specific, great! But if not, she should probably think about it a bit more.

CW

It is the greatest feeling in the world to watch my children soar past anything that I was ever able to accomplish, even if it does leave my wife and I with about 3 cents.  :D

579439[/snapback]

If she majors in Psychology, there is about a 1 in 30 chance that I could be her Chemistry TA.

For most people, I"d disagree.  Bill, ask your daughter WHY she wants to get a degree in psych.  Lots of kids say, "It just sounds interesting,"  If that's the case, suggest that she can still take a bunch of psych classes if she wants, but she can major in something else.  My wife has a psych degree, and it pretty much led to nothing...  She went back to school to get her drug and alcohol counceling certification, so things worked out ok, but that's not really what she wanted to do.  (she's now going back to get her MBA).

Just find out what plans she has; if she has something specific, great!  But if not, she should probably think about it a bit more.

CW

579510[/snapback]

I recieved a degree from UB in psych in 1982. It actually did lead to several interesting jobs directly, although it does prepare you in any way to be a "psychologist". There is nothing wrong with pursuing the liberal arts and sciences, that pursuit has served me well for the past 23 years. Best of luck to your daughter, she could do much worse than UB and their psych department.

579362[/snapback]

It is great to hear that she has options to pick the school she wants. Best of luck to her!!

We shall see.  :lol:

579362[/snapback]

con grats . , time will go fast . my son is in his last year at Canisius

I hate to tell you guys this, but I used to teach at both UB and Canisius...so, what's THAT tell ya? :D

Seriously...good luck to your daughter, Bill.

For most people, I"d disagree.  Bill, ask your daughter WHY she wants to get a degree in psych.  Lots of kids say, "It just sounds interesting,"  If that's the case, suggest that she can still take a bunch of psych classes if she wants, but she can major in something else.  My wife has a psych degree, and it pretty much led to nothing...  She went back to school to get her drug and alcohol counceling certification, so things worked out ok, but that's not really what she wanted to do.  (she's now going back to get her MBA).

Just find out what plans she has; if she has something specific, great!  But if not, she should probably think about it a bit more.

CW

579510[/snapback]

Then how about plumbing? I asked for some advice about my corroded male thread problem on the Consumer Forum, and not one response, despite good 'ol stuckincincy's historical willingness to field any and all poster's mechanical, heating, construction, child-rearing, diction, ethical, and social probity malfunctions...

:D

Congrats to your daughter!  Does she have any firm idea of a major yet?

579415[/snapback]

Most freshmen major in beer bongs. :D

Seriously, congratulations. I have put two daughters (one will finish this spring) and a son through college, and the dorms can be wild - but a good kid will be fine. ;)