Anybody ever had shoulder surgery?

Stl Bills

Anyone ever had a similiar operation? I actually injured my shoulder in June and since I'm a dumbass, I refused to believe I was really hurt and did not do anything about it. If anyone has had a similiar operation I would really apreciate knowing what to expect as far as recovery time, mobility, etc. My doc says my arm will have to be immobilized for 6-8 weeks after surgery so this should be quite an adventure.

Anyone ever had a similiar operation?  I actually injured my shoulder in June and since I'm a dumbass, I refused to believe I was really hurt and did not do anything about it.  If anyone has had a similiar operation I would really apreciate knowing what to expect as far as recovery time, mobility, etc.  My doc says my arm will have to be immobilized for 6-8 weeks after surgery so this should be quite an adventure.

574475[/snapback]

at least you didnt tear your tito landrum....i've only dislocated.........shoulders need a lot of work.........just rehab like the tell you and keep doing after they turn you loose

Anyone ever had a similiar operation?  I actually injured my shoulder in June and since I'm a dumbass, I refused to believe I was really hurt and did not do anything about it.  If anyone has had a similiar operation I would really apreciate knowing what to expect as far as recovery time, mobility, etc.  My doc says my arm will have to be immobilized for 6-8 weeks after surgery so this should be quite an adventure.

574475[/snapback]

That's what happened to Drew Brees. 4 month rehab.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2278077

Imobilized for 6 - 8 weeks? I'd get a second opinion.

We do probably close to 10 shoulders a week. All labral tears are fixed through the endoscopes and the patients start rehab immediately after the operation. We completely block the shoulder and arm which lasts about 18 hours after the operation so the patient can get the shoulder moving (by using his other arm).

Rehab of a shoulder is painful after the block wears off.

RTB

Look into something called Prolotherapy. I've been doing it for a bunch of ailments, including rotator cuff tears, knee instability, and it's worked wonderfully for alot of people. It does take time, but it is not as invasive as surgery, and there is really nothing to lose becuase it is so safe.

Look into something called Prolotherapy.  I've been doing it for a bunch of ailments, including rotator cuff tears, knee instability, and it's worked wonderfully for alot of people.  It does take time, but it is not as invasive as surgery, and there is really nothing to lose becuase it is so safe.

574547[/snapback]

http://www.prolotherapy.org/

Imobilized for 6 - 8 weeks? I'd get a second opinion.

We do probably close to 10 shoulders a week. All labral tears are fixed through the endoscopes and the patients start rehab immediately after the operation. We completely  block the shoulder and arm which lasts about 18 hours after the operation so the patient can get the shoulder moving (by using his other arm).

Rehab of a shoulder is painful after the block wears off.

RTB

574500[/snapback]

That sounds about right.

I tore my labrum at both junctures as well as the bicep in a pretty bad shoulder injury. They couldn't scope it, so it was open surgery, but even so, I was doing rehab hours after surgery to bring back the range of motion.

What to expect:

It is painful, but not as bad as I was told it would be. All in all rehab for me lasted from February until May, though I was lifting and running sooner than expected. The most annoying part for me was sleeping in a sling (you have to sleep in a sling for several weeks.

It's not fun, but I would not put it off either. I put mine off for longer than I should have and I only !@#$ed it up more.

574475[/snapback]

Yes, I've had surgery to repair a torn labrum as a result of 3 dislocations.

No, it is not necessary to immobilize the arm for 6-8 weeks. The length of the immobilization time corresponds to the technique the sugeon uses, all other things being equal. The labrum is covered by the subscapularis muscle. To get to the labrum, the surgeon must get by this muscle some how. Most surgeons will clip the tendon attaching the subscapularis to the humerus, reattach the labrum, then reattach to ends of the clipped tendon. Some surgeons will cut the subscapularis along the muscle fiber and split the muscle to get access to the labrum. Surgeons who use the first technique claim they get better access to the joint, which may allow them to find other problems they did not know about. Surgeons who use the second technique claim that since an athroscopy is routinely done prior to a open procedure, they learn everything they need to know about the scope of the damage. Since muscle get better blood flow than tendons, the second technique leads to faster healing and faster recovery.

My shoulder was immobilized for a few of days. After that, I was allowed to take it out of the sling while at work, sitting in front of a computer or at other times if I was mindful to limit how far I articulated the joint. Keeping it in the sling at other times was more to prevent me from being careless than anything else. I was in PT within 2 weeks of the surgery.

I wouldn't just settle with the doctor you've seen. Perhaps a younger one with a sport medicine background might use the more up to date method.

574475[/snapback]

Seems there exists some advice here on your injury. Currently, I'm recooperating from a torn rotator cuff, some degenerative separation, and had the bone shaved. Had the surgery 1/4/06 and have been advised by my surgeon to wear my sling for a min 6 weeks, but as long as I don't raise my arm in any direction, I can take it out of the sling as long as I keep my elbow at my side.

PT is scheduled to begin 2/9/06.

This is the first time (in 22 years) that I've ever missed any work other than vacation and few sick day here and there. Very weird just sitting at home and reading this board over, and over, and over.....all day and night.

If you're looking for information, I recommend the Hospital for Special Surgery's website. It is excellent.

Orthopedic Conditions and Treatments

You should at least see a Bones that's into sports medicine. They're up on the latest techniques.

Personally, I've had five shoulder surgeries. The last was a year ago in December when Dr. Russell Warren did a total joint replacement of my right shoulder at the HSS. He's an excellent surgeon - absolutely the best, and the staff at HSS is tremendous. If you live near NYC, that's the place to go for shoulders (and other ortho procedures). Don't let the fact that Dr. Warren is the NY Jints team physician bother you. He has compassion on Bills fans too. :(

Here's just one of the links from the index page. Do your research more thoroughly than just asking around here. It's like walking into a bar and asking for medical opinions.

I also got a cryo-cuff after the last surgery and it was fairly useful, but I switched to ice bags - which keep colder much longer. The cuff needs to be elevated every 5 minutes to recirculate the water into the ice/water thermos.