Bills bucking the current trend...

Lori

Except for the Chiefs' trade for Herm Edwards, every other head coach hired so far this offseason is a first-timer:

Jets - Mangini

Rams - Linehan

Vikings - Childress

Packers - McCarthy

Saints - Payton

Lions - Marinelli

If the Kubiak rumors are true (and I have no reason to doubt them), add the Texans to that list, too. Everyone's looking for the next Gruden or Reid, but I'd be willing to bet at least a couple of the teams listed above will find out they've ended up with the next Mornhinweg or Gilbride instead.

If Sherman and Jauron are their top two choices, RCW and Marv would seem to be thinking that some previous HC experience is a GOOD thing. (Either that, or they know they can't 'sell' the idea of hiring a third consecutive novice HC.)

Thoughts?

If the Kubiak rumors are true (and I have no reason to doubt them), add the Texans to that list, too. Everyone's looking for the next Gruden or Reid, but I'd be willing to bet at least a couple of the teams listed above will find out they've ended up with the next Mornhingweg or Gilbride instead.

574242[/snapback]

Dont you mean the next GW or MM?

how soon we forget!

Everyone's looking for the next Gruden or Reid, but I'd be willing to bet at least a couple of the teams listed above will find out they've ended up with the next Mornhingweg or Gilbride instead.

574242[/snapback]

I'll be a bit more confident if the search is left alive long enough to get an interview with Mike Trgovac.

how soon we forget!

574251[/snapback]

I doubt they're looking for the next GW or MM. :o

But, it's more likely they'll find one of them than the Gruden or Reid (or Fox).

It's interesting that as more HC positions get filled, the Bills have lost none of their candidates (with the possible exception of Payton).

i agree with you lori............@the press conference ralphie did apologize to the fans for the "bad product" these past seasons.i also like how ralphie apologized for the sign flap as well.i just hope his next apology is the current uniforms!!!! but i do think ralph wants to bring in a "proven coach"and not another risky up and coming coordinator,even if the coordinator is real promising ralph is 87 and wants that lombardi trophy just once before he dies,go bills in'06

how soon we forget!

574251[/snapback]

Forget? I'm actively trying to block those memories.

Thanks for the help. :o

PS: check out Marty M's or Killdrive's coaching records. They'll give you some respect for Gregg and Mike...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/index.htm

Marv is a conservative guy and will not unearth the next Bellicek, as he proven in his entire career as a HC.

However, he is looking at solid candidates with prior HC experience who have a very small chance of busting to the extent that GW and MM did.

The hope is that his HC will bring in very strong coordinators and staff who may emerge as stars.

After gambling on two first tiem head coaches, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A HEAD COACH WITH EXPERIENCE(the caps imply me yelling). Seriouls,y the Bills right now are in no position to gamble. And of the candidates, Sherman is the better choice. He loves the running game (imagine Willis having the success of Ahman Green), coached Favre and took advantage of what he does best, throwing deep and moving in the pocket (JP's main skill set), and he can bring Bates and possibly Grady Jackson. This makes too much sense for the Bills, so obviously the choice is Danny Smith. :D:o

Except for the Chiefs' trade for Herm Edwards, every other head coach hired so far this offseason is a first-timer:

Jets - Mangini

Rams - Linehan

Vikings - Childress

Packers - McCarthy

Saints - Payton

Lions - Marinelli

If the Kubiak rumors are true (and I have no reason to doubt them), add the Texans to that list, too. Everyone's looking for the next Gruden or Reid, but I'd be willing to bet at least a couple of the teams listed above will find out they've ended up with the next Mornhinweg or Gilbride instead.

If Sherman and Jauron are their top two choices, RCW and Marv would seem to be thinking that some previous HC experience is a GOOD thing. (Either that, or they know they can't 'sell' the idea of hiring a third consecutive novice HC.)

Thoughts?

574242[/snapback]

my thoughts........who cares whats the point..................experience or not the coach that gets a new head coaching position is unproven to his new team.......

After gambling on two first tiem head coaches, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A HEAD COACH WITH EXPERIENCE

574428[/snapback]

It sounds as if you're calling for us to accept a cast-of with known flaws instead of looking at a Rivera or Trgovac who have their defenses on the top of the league right now.

Don't forget that of the 3 DCs we interviewed in 2001, two have gone on to take doormats as far as the Super Bowl, with Fox knocking on the door again. Since 66% of those we interviewed are already NFL "succesful", we shouldn't get gunshy just because we screwed the pooch on our decision then.

We're in the AFC East in a cold weather city, the odds are we're better served with a DC at the top rather than an OC.

It sounds as if you're calling for us to accept a cast-of with known flaws instead of looking at a Rivera or Trgovac who have their defenses on the top of the league right now.

Don't forget that of the 3 DCs we interviewed in 2001, two have gone on to take doormats as far as the Super Bowl, with Fox knocking on the door again. Since 66% of those we interviewed are already NFL "succesful", we shouldn't get gunshy just because we screwed the pooch on our decision then.

We're in the AFC East in a cold weather city, the odds are we're better served with a DC at the top rather than an OC.

574460[/snapback]

Personally, I really trust Marv to make the best hire possible, experience or not. However after the last 2 coaches, I think people's heads might explode around here if we hire another first time head coach. Plus, I think Sherman is good fit because of the reasons that I listed above. But I do agree that Rivera could definitely be a good head coach one day. As long as he stops single-covering Steve Smith. :o

Except for the Chiefs' trade for Herm Edwards, every other head coach hired so far this offseason is a first-timer...

...If Sherman and Jauron are their top two choices, RCW and Marv would seem to be thinking that some previous HC experience is a GOOD thing. (Either that, or they know they can't 'sell' the idea of hiring a third consecutive novice HC.)

Thoughts?

574242[/snapback]

Maybe more like:

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt. So give me an experienced HC as I don't have the time to fool around anymore, I'm 87 for cripes sake!

:o

Everyone's looking for the next Gruden or Reid, but I'd be willing to bet at least a couple of the teams listed above will find out they've ended up with the next Mornhinweg or Gilbride instead.

574242[/snapback]

wow! thats a bold statement....how much you want to put on it........i bet they all win the super bowl next season :o

Forget? I'm actively trying to block those memories.

Thanks for the help.  :o

PS: check out Marty M's or Killdrive's coaching records. They'll give you some respect for Gregg and Mike...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/index.htm

574265[/snapback]

ok i decided to look for other coaches that we can be thankful that we do not have... and here is an all-star cast of coaches here :D

Phil Handler

Dan Henning

Chris Palmer

David Shula

kay stephenson

and last and certainly least Hank Bullough

I would say they're bucking the trend because there aren't any Bill Parcells/Joe Gibbs out there, with the exception of Jimmy Johnson - and there simply isn't enough money in the world to get JJ to come to Buffalo (or anywhere else, either).

Right now there are two serious candidates who:

1. Have NFL coaching experience

2. Have had some success

3. Are willing to put up with Ralph

Thankfully we've interviewed them both. I sincerely hope we don't end up with fuggin' Dom Capers, who is a great coordinator but would seriously make me question my loyalty if he was hired as our HC.

All of the Bills coaches with > .500 records have been retreads.  Saban, Knox, Levy, even Phillips.  Since Ralph has never been able to find the right assistant coach to promote, it might seem prudent at this time to bring in another retread.

574687[/snapback]

given the current state of our team - we need a Mike Sherman who will restore the desire for players to play in Buffalo and bring some respectability back. Maybe he isn't SB ready, but neither are we. Let's steady the ship and go from there.