Bills bucking the current trend...

Lori

given the current state of our team - we need a Mike Sherman who will restore the desire for players to play in Buffalo and bring some respectability back. Maybe he isn't SB ready, but neither are we. Let's steady the ship and go from there.

Amen. I actually always liked the idea of hiring an experienced guy. Let him makes his 1st HC job mistakes on someone else's dime.

The guys on NFL network are not at all impressed with this group of coaches and new trend. They are actually wondering why Sherman is not getting one of these jobs? Hopefully the Bills will hire him. Buffalo is in a different boat than most of those other clubs. We've already gotten burned by two hot assistants so it's logical to get an experienced guy here.

Amen.  I actually always liked the idea of hiring an experienced guy.  Let him makes his 1st HC job mistakes on someone else's dime.

574760[/snapback]

aside from this year, sherman was a great in Green Bay. While he may not have made it to the big game, he still did a great job coaching. He was canned more for the personnel job he did when they lost a ton of talented players this year in free agency and did not restock depth too well (w/ expcetion to RB). It would be wise to have him only as a coach.

aside from this year, sherman was a great  in Green Bay. While he may not have made it to the big game, he still did a great job coaching.  He was canned more for the personnel job he did when they lost a ton of talented players this year in free agency and did not restock depth too well (w/ expcetion to RB). It would be wise to have him only as a coach.

574779[/snapback]

Like most of you, I saw a lot of Green Bay games this year during the Brett Favre love affair (unlike the Teddy Bruschi stuff, I didn't mind because I'm a Favre Fan). I would go so far as to say that I don't think you need to say "aside from this year", because I think he coached well this season too.

They had a lot go wrong with Injuries, etc., and they played tough in a lot of close games. Sure people would say in that many close games they should have won more of them if well coached, but I'm not sure how true this would be. Maybe this team could have done a few things different to be 6-10 instead of 4-12, but knowing the situations they had, they played to win, took some gambles, and lost a lot of close games. I think when you put this together with his previous seasons you can understand that Sherman coached well even during this last 4-12 season, but that personel, injuries, and bad luck worked against him and the Packers.

On the topic of the thread, I'm very happy that the Bills seem to not be interested in a first time head coach. Obviously if you get a great coach you get a great coach, but I think all things considered, head coaching experience is an asset to a head coach, and that given the Bills recent history in particular, this is a very wise move in general, and even wiser when we look at the specifics of this potential coach.

I'm very happy that the Bills seem to not be interested in a first time head coach. 

574817[/snapback]

Since 2001, half of the coaches hired who have achieved current success are "new" head coaches. 2 are former Super Bowl winners and another was Gruden, who moved in a unique way we shouldn't expect to see done again any time soon.

The only retread is Tom Coughlin. So while 50% of todays recently hired coaching successes are first time head coaches, only 12% are retreads. The numbers speak to a large degree about why we SHOULD be considering a first time head coach (since the pool of former Super Bowl winners is so shallow to downright unthinkable).

Since 2001, half of the coaches hired who have achieved current success are "new" head coaches. 2 are former Super Bowl winners and another was Gruden, who moved in a unique way we shouldn't expect to see done again any time soon.

The only retread is Tom Coughlin. So while 50% of todays recently hired coaching successes are first time head coaches, only 12% are retreads. The numbers  speak to a large degree about why we SHOULD be considering a first time head coach (since the pool of former Super Bowl winners is so shallow to downright unthinkable).

574824[/snapback]

disagree about gruden - it was not inconceivable that davis would fire him ultimately (they hated each other) and in any event tampa was very, very specific about wanting a head coach with experience (remember the other guy they were after was parcells). they didn't want a new guy.

One would HAVE to think that Marv had the conversation with Ralph several times over the years that "my second job" I really knew what I was doing, and didn't make the same mistakes I made in my first tenure as an NFL head coach. And there is so much to learn, on the job, about being a head coach...

Case closed.

One would HAVE to think that Marv had the conversation with Ralph several times over the years that "my second job" I really knew what I was doing, and didn't make the same mistakes I made in my first tenure as an NFL head coach. And there is so much to learn, on the job, about being a head coach...

Case closed.

574837[/snapback]

there ain't anyone under 50 in the running (excluding the token), so you're dead-on accurate.

disagree about gruden - it was not inconceivable that davis would fire him ultimately (they hated each other) and in any event tampa was very, very specific about wanting a head coach with experience (remember the other guy they were after was parcells). they didn't want a new guy.

574831[/snapback]

I'll always remember the fitting justice of it since I live in Traitorland- Gruden said he hoped to be paid like an NFL instead of high school coach since he'd brough the franchise back from the brink, Davis of course dug his feet in. Then Davis promoted the (*^*&%^$^#Callahan who never changed the teams line calls the following season. When they met in the Super Bowl that postseason the Tampa Bay defense couldn't believe that were being barked the play before almost every snap.

Plus, who are the only three coaches that Ralph has hired that had serious success? Lou Saban (second job), Chuck Knox (second job), Marv Levy (second job) with the possible addition of Wade Phillips (second job).

574842[/snapback]

So the tact would be to ignore that Lovie Smith, John Fox, Jack Del Rio and Marvin Lewis are racking up wins at a pace rivaling any 4 coaches in the league while Coughlin is the sole retread with any success in the immediate past and is very likely guiding a team on the decline at this very moment?

I think see pretty clearly your pattern and I intend to get the craps table out of the attic next time you come up to the Mountain. ;-)

So the tact would be to ignore that Lovie Smith, John Fox, Jack Del Rio and Marvin Lewis are racking up wins at a pace rivaling any 4 coaches in the league while Coughlin is the sole retread with any success in the immediate past and is very likely guiding a team on the decline at this very moment?

I think see pretty clearly your pattern and I intend to get the craps table out of the attic next time you come up to the Mountain. ;-)

574904[/snapback]

I just won pretty damn decent on the craps tables at The Palms and The Mirage last weekend, starting with the very first come bet and never on the bad side of the ledger, so I will gladly take the die in hand up on that mountain of yours. :(

My post wasn't necessarily condoning such behavior in coaching as it was inferring that the Sunshine Boys were very likely to choose a second time coach because it's worked for them before. Not that I would.

Except for the Chiefs' trade for Herm Edwards, every other head coach hired so far this offseason is a first-timer:

Jets - Mangini

Rams - Linehan

Vikings - Childress

Packers - McCarthy

Saints - Payton

Lions - Marinelli

If the Kubiak rumors are true (and I have no reason to doubt them), add the Texans to that list, too. Everyone's looking for the next Gruden or Reid, but I'd be willing to bet at least a couple of the teams listed above will find out they've ended up with the next Mornhinweg or Gilbride instead.

If Sherman and Jauron are their top two choices, RCW and Marv would seem to be thinking that some previous HC experience is a GOOD thing. (Either that, or they know they can't 'sell' the idea of hiring a third consecutive novice HC.)

Thoughts?

574242[/snapback]

I've noticed this too. I am, in general, a huge fan of attempting to hire the next Andy Reid or Herman Edwards (two guys, incidentally, who weren't even *coordinators* upon being hired - and the Philly media blasted the hiring of Reid over guys with HC experience.) Again, in general, if a proven HC with experience is available, its usually because he proved that he was able to get fired from one job beforehand. Plus, I'd rather hire the next Bill Cowher - a guy who could lead the organization for the next 15 years (and counting.)

With that being said, I think that there definitely is something to being a contrarian in a sellers market. With such a huge number of vacancies this year, and with the Mularkey resignation throwing us into the market late, it might be very sensible to go against trend and look at the experienced guys all the other teams are passing over. Moreover, both Dick Jauron and Mike Sherman have the interesting quality that they both served during a change in GM regime, and that the new GM's essentially forced them out at the first opportunity. Its arguable that neither lost their jobs so much through a fair evaluation of their performance as it was of the new regime wanting to bring in their own guy. Hopefully Jauron or Sherman will be the next Belichick or Shanahan.

JDG

wow! thats a bold statement....how much you want to put on it........i bet they all win the super bowl next season  :(

574614[/snapback]

Simple question: do you just act dumb on the Internet, or are you this way all the time?

574904[/snapback]

All of those guys worked for teams that made the Super Bowl. And they didn't just work for them, they were vital assets -- unlike Mangini, who was low on the totem pole until this year. What available assistant has done the same?

All of those guys worked for teams that made the Super Bowl.  And they didn't just work for them, they were vital assets -- unlike Mangini, who was low on the totem pole until this year.  What available assistant has done the same?

575055[/snapback]

Mike Tregovac seems to fit your criteria perfectly-