Please don't take D'Brick if available

marck

I have read many people who think that Virginia LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the resolution to our needs at LT. He might very well be, but I look at his size (295 lbs) and technique and feel that he may be a bust as a high draft pick.

At the NFL level he would be physically overrun by power defensive ends and ran around by the quick types. He is the classic over-achiever at the college level and will be undersized and dominated at the next level.

Wait until the combine and compare his 10 yard dash and number of lifts to other tackles in this draft and you will see how his strength and quickness is less then other unvalued tackles available.

The Bills draft choice at 8, is unknown until the effects of free agency are seen. We will need to assess the personnel gains and losses to see which direction the Bills should move towards.

If the Bills can make moves at the DT and OG positions it may be possible to move for players in other positions or even move down and accumulate more picks.

The one strategy I would not recommend is to trade picks or players for next year's draft. The potential of a new collective bargining agreement has caused many juniors to declare and become draft eligible in this years draft. Next year will be a lean crop of prospects and the Bills should take advantage to the picks they have this year and even move to get more picks if possible.

Thoughts and opiniosn are always welcome.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read many people who think that Virginia LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the resolution to our needs at LT.  He might very well be, but I look at his size (295 lbs) and technique and feel that he may be a bust as a high draft pick. 

At the NFL level he would be physically overrun by power defensive ends and ran around by the quick types.  He is the classic over-achiever at the college level and will be undersized and dominated at the next level. 

Wait until the combine and compare his 10 yard dash and number of lifts to other tackles in this draft and you will see how his strength and quickness is less then other unvalued tackles available.

The Bills draft choice at 8, is unknown until the effects of free agency are seen.  We will need to assess the personnel gains and losses to see which direction the Bills should move towards.

If the Bills can make moves at the DT and OG positions it may be possible to move for players in other positions or even move down and accumulate more picks.

The one strategy I would not recommend is to trade picks or players for next year's draft.  The potential of a new collective bargining agreement has caused many juniors to declare and become draft eligible in this years draft.  Next year will be a lean crop of prospects and the Bills should take advantage to the picks they have this year and even move to get more picks if possible.

572630[/snapback]

Why is he ranked #1 among all tackles? There must be a reason. If he falls to us, we take him at #8, no question

I watched quite a few Virginia games this year and never saw Ferguson stand out or dominate. In games against BC, VT and Miami along with NC the Virginia offensive line was pushed around, the running game never got off the ground and their QB was running for his life.

Here is a link to review their games last year.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/acc/Virginia.htm

Curious -- what films of his this year did u break down to arrive at this opinion?  Who were the better DLineman that he faced, and how did he fair against each of them?  Are these better Dlineman projected to be playing on sundays ??

572640[/snapback]

I have read many people who think that Virginia LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the resolution to our needs at LT.  He might very well be, but I look at his size (295 lbs) and technique and feel that he may be a bust as a high draft pick. 

572630[/snapback]

Its no big secret that his size is much smaller than your average tackle, and he isn't a dominate run blocker. However as as a pass protector he's second to none of anything I've seen come out of college in several years. Also if you have a problem with his technique you best take another look. Its very rare to see a tackle with his atheletic ability, footwork and balance. Oh yeah, and he has some of the longest arms I've ever seen. I'd be surprised if he turned out to be a bust. I'm not saying he's the guy the Bills should target, in fact I'm hoping he comes off the board quick giving us a better shot at Mario, a player I think can improve this team immediately.

I predict Brick will be a resounding success story in the NFL. All he needs to put on is about 15 lbs and as a LT, starting off with excellent pass blocking skills is always a great base to start with. He is extremely athletic from what little I've seen and has great footwork.

I admit I have never seen this guy play so my opinion is based just on what I see/hear on the net . From what ive seen, I would think that Marcus McNeill from Auburn is the best prospect at the OT position. But most mock drafts have McNiell going anywhere from 8 to 18 . D.Brick is always in the top 5 .

MCNeill is 6-7 1/2 tall weighs 332 40-yard dash: 4.96

BIO :

Strengths: Exceptional athlete with all the physical tools. Remarkable speed allows him to reach second-level defenders with ease. Excellent at bending knees and shows fantastic athleticism in pass protection. Does not get beat to the edge by speed rushers, quickly recovers and stops double-move rushers. Overpowers bull rushers. Takes good angles on running plays and destroys defenders at the point of attack.

Weaknesses: Must control weight; past fluctuations are a concern. Laziness and lack of focus late in games have led to inconsistency, poor technique and sluggish play. Overconfidence causes him to underestimate opponents.

Bottom line: McNeill is massive and has tremendous ability. He has outstanding experience and is among the nation's best linemen. If he controls his weight and improves his stamina, he will be a top pick

D.Brickashaw 6-5 1/4 weighs 298 40-yard dash: 5.30

BIO :

Strengths: Has good height, continues to fill out and has room to add bulk. Has excellent wingspan. Is a rare athlete for his position. Has a powerful initial punch and will jar defenders upon contact. Has powerful upper body. Is a durable, hard-working, high-character guy. Well grounded; has priorities in order. Won't turn 22 until the season ends, but is very mature.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk. Has added weight but must get bigger. Also must prove he can handle extra pounds without losing mobility. Lacks ideal lower-body strength. Will have trouble anchoring against powerful bull rushers.

Bottom line: A starter since his freshman season, Ferguson has outstanding experience in a strong conference. He must add bulk and prove he can handle the extra mass. He also must improve his lower-body strength.

Incredibly athletic blocker who can play the left side. Didn't play as well this season as he did a year ago. Has long arms and legs. Lacks girth and power but has the frame to develop

Also D.Brick overall grade is 7.10 and Marcus is 8.3

Can anyone search the Stadium Wall for any Mike Williams chat before he was drafted? I'd be curious to see is anyone had questions about his ability/charecter. All this D'brick talk reminds me of Williams. All we need is another fata$$ wasted #1 pick.

PTR

Can anyone search the Stadium Wall for any Mike Williams chat before he was drafted?  I'd be curious to see is anyone had questions about his ability/charecter.  All this D'brick talk reminds me of Williams.  All we need is another fata$$ wasted #1 pick.

PTR

572764[/snapback]

PTR:

My recollection is that he was considered HIGH character - a monster blocker who "loved to pancake" his opponents. I have never seen a bad review (except from a few here at TBD :doh: who claimed they knew he stunk before he was drafted) at the time he was drafted. McKinnie was also considered a "sure thing".

I sure hope the next collective bargaining agreement includes language to limit the amount ROOKIES can get. These high draft pick busts are hurting the game.

-RichNJoisy

I think that goes into effect in 07' Rich

572799[/snapback]

As far as I know - there has not been any word on what a new collective bargaining agreement would have in it that is different from the current one which expires after next season. Are you saying you have heard particulars of a possible new agreement? Can you provide a link?

As far as I know - there has not been any word on what a new collective bargaining agreement would have in it that is different from the current one which expires after next season. Are you saying you have heard particulars of a possible new agreement? Can you provide a link?

572817[/snapback]

Nothing has been reached. In fact I just read in the paper this morning where Upshaw was saying that if a deal is not struck by March then there is a good chance we could be stuck without a cap for many years. I'll try to dig up a link to the story for you.

Actually, he hasn't given up a sack in 2 years. If you look at the Broncos and other teams that have successful lines, their lines are not full of 350-lb. players like Mike Williams or Bennie Anderson. You need a tackle that is quick on his feet and mobile to lead an end around, etc. The bills offensive line was a joke. All they did was move forward and not with any success. Not saying if Ferguson will be A+ starter, but Bills passed up on Pro Bowler Steve Hutchinson years ago and are paying the price. I would probably take Ngotu or Mario Williams over Ferguson if they were available though.

At the NFL level he would be physically overrun by power defensive ends and ran around by the quick types.  He is the classic over-achiever at the college level and will be undersized and dominated at the next level. 

The Bills draft choice at 8, is unknown until the effects of free agency are seen.  We will need to assess the personnel gains and losses to see which direction the Bills should move towards.

The one strategy I would not recommend is to trade picks or players for next year's draft.  The potential of a new collective bargining agreement has caused many juniors to declare and become draft eligible in this years draft.  Next year will be a lean crop of prospects and the Bills should take advantage to the picks they have this year and even move to get more picks if possible.

572630[/snapback]

572817[/snapback]

My mistake. I thought I read somewhere it was already going to take place. oops :doh:

Actually, he hasn't given up a sack in 2 years. If you look at the Broncos and other teams that have successful lines, their lines are not full of 350-lb. players like Mike Williams or Bennie Anderson. You need a tackle that is quick on his feet and mobile to lead an end around, etc. The bills offensive line was a joke. All they did was move forward and not with any success. Not saying if Ferguson will be A+ starter, but Bills passed up on Pro Bowler Steve Hutchinson years ago and are paying the price. I would probably take Ngotu or Mario Williams over Ferguson if they were available though.

572848[/snapback]

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think you're assuming bulk= non athletic, and I just dont find that to be the case. Remember during the pats/broncos game they kept saying denver doesn't pass block well. It's pretty much because none of their offensive linemen are good. Pass Blocking is a skill, more important the run blocking, and I'd venture to say that it's more the zone blocking scheme in denver then being good at run blocking. You run left they cutblock down and to the right leaving open holes. It's a dirty tactic, but it works for them.

The Chiefs imo are more accurate representation of what a great offensive line is, Big and very athletic. Brian Waters is about as big as bennie anderson but he's quicker pulling, and better in pass protection, better in run blocking, just all around beter. Willie Roaf isn't exactaly mr. fit and trim, and post 30 is still probably the best lt in the game. Just cause you're fat doesn't make you non athletic. It's a combination of being well coached, consistency among your offensive line, and having the talent to play in the scheme.

Can anyone search the Stadium Wall for any Mike Williams chat before he was drafted?  I'd be curious to see is anyone had questions about his ability/charecter.  All this D'brick talk reminds me of Williams.  All we need is another fata$$ wasted #1 pick.

PTR

572764[/snapback]

D'Brick is not a fat ass. Mike Williams is/was a fat ass with a history of injuries to boot.

D'Brick is a Left Tackle. Mike Williams was a Right Tackle. As of late, he was a backup guard.

Left Tackles are drafted early because they are worth their weight in gold. Mike Williams is probably the highest paid RT in football history.

Can you see the difference, or no?