The Assassination of the Character of Jack Murtha

Mickey

I'm sorry, what was the point of the comparison, again?

572788[/snapback]

Actually, I was just making a very droll and sarcastic observation that I found mildly humorous. So, as it was my comparison, I can say with authority that it really had little point to it.

Which, of course, did not stop Mickey from...well, from being Mickey. :doh:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That it is...the NYT. :doh:

I keep no birds, but feed the outside ones year-round. There's a practical aspect beyond the viewing and aural pleasure they provide. The various species have learned that my plot is a place favorable, and so they are always nearby and keep my grounds quite free of pesky flying insects. A profitable bargain for both. :doh:

572856[/snapback]

Half my family is crazy about birds, inside and out. I don't get it. The racket they make, bird seed everywhere, on and on. Same with fish tanks. I don't get it. All that bother to watch an extremely bored fish swim back and forth from one end of the tank to the other. If that fish could manage it, he'd hang himself.

Actually, I was just making a very droll and sarcastic observation that I found mildly humorous.  So, as it was my comparison, I can say with authority that it really had little point to it.

Which, of course, did not stop Mickey from...well, from being Mickey.  :doh:

572872[/snapback]

If I don't at least try to prove or disprove something, anything, once each hour, I get jittery.

Half my family is crazy about birds, inside and out.  I don't get it.  The racket they make, bird seed everywhere, on and on.  Same with fish tanks.  I don't get it.  All that bother to watch an extremely bored fish swim back and forth from one end of the tank to the other.  If that fish could manage it, he'd hang himself.

572966[/snapback]

I don't get chinchillas or ferrets.

What's up with those?

In another thread, in criticising democratic leaders, I also pointed out that:

"...the Republican character assassination team usually has them for dinner. It is already starting with Murtha for example."

This drew fire from RK and KRC who, as usual, resorted to personal villification rather than to actually address the attack now brewing on Murtha.  Apparently, this can't really be happening or be a legitimate issue because I am a democrat.  Well, it appears I am not the only one concerned with the Republican habit of attacking veterans who disagree with them.

James Webb, veteran and Reagan's former Naval Secretary published this piece which expresses the same concerns I have:

Purple Heartbreakers

You may remember Webb as the Naval Secretary who resigned in protest of congressional budget cuts he felt were going too far in reducing our Naval capabilities.  In Viet Nam he served as a rifle platoon and company commander in the infamous An Hoa Basin west of Danang and he was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star Medal, two Bronze Star Medals, and two Purple Hearts. He later served as a platoon commander and as an instructor in tactics and weapons at Marine Corps Officer Candidates School, and then as a member of the Secretary of the Navy's immediate staff, before leaving the Marine Corps in l972. 

Let the personal villification of Webb begin.

572384[/snapback]

You mean unlike what's been happening to Judge Alito? Politics as usual.

let me get into character as Kevin Nealon...

Republicans should ...BushBad!... take a cue from Democrats who ...Haliburton... would never ...Bork... try to assasinate ...Alito... somebody else's character for ...Clarence Thomas... politcal motives.

/Subliminal Man

In another thread, in criticising democratic leaders, I also pointed out that:

"...the Republican character assassination team usually has them for dinner. It is already starting with Murtha for example."

572384[/snapback]

OK, Mick...heres my lame response.

First of all, just becuase someone served in the military, that should not give him or her free reign to say whatever they want. Theres been a lot of that from the left...how one CANNOT critiscise Murtha's comments, because...well...."he's a HERO!!!" Thats crap. Its crap for Murtha to think he can say whatever he wants because of his service and its crap for the Dems to use him as some kind of indestructible mouthpiece for their cause. And of course...its hypocritical considering every time Bush stands in front of an American flag, a military symbol or conjures up 9/11, the left goes NUTS.

Now....Ive only recently become aware of the character assasination of Murtha thats going on. Thats wrong. But Mick..how is it different that whats going on with Judge Alito? Senator Kennedy called him every name in the book last week, with no factual basis to do so. So had every left leaning website. Thats different? Its lame on both sides. Try to realize that just once.

Finally...MY assertion that Murtha deserves to be criticised is NOT in connection with those who are looking to tarnish or question his war record. It comes DIRECTLY from his comments. I think you have me confused with someone who sympathizes with those folks. I dont. Im speaking (and disparaging) HIS RECENT defeatist comments about an immediate pullout and the state of the military. Thats all I was referring to.

Now....Ive only become aware of the character assasination of Murtha thats going on. Thats wrong. But Mick..how is it different that whats going on with Judge Alito? Senator Kennedy called him every name in the book last week, with no factual basis to do so. So had every left leaning website. Thats different? Its lame on both sides. Try to realize that just once.

573870[/snapback]

"Democrats may do it, but Republicans are worse."

I thought I would pre-empt the response to save time.

dems seem to forget that they attacked a REAL HERO as a doddering old man back in 1996.

Bob Dole is a real hero. He was way more qualified than clinton. I couldn't believe that more of the US population (definitely not a majority) liked that draft dodging hillbilly whorehopper than a real patriot.

"Democrats may do it, but Republicans are worse."

I thought I would pre-empt the response to save time.

573890[/snapback]

You always did prefer to make up positions for me that I haven't taken and then criticize me for them. At least you're now doing it openly, inventing my responses for me before I have made them.

Very similar to your post claiming that I was excusing democrats from all criticism in response to a post of mine where I was directly critical of democrats. I am still waiting for you to explain that one to me.

Can I invent, er...., I mean "pre-empt" your response for you?

OK, Mick...heres my lame response.

First of all, just becuase someone served in the military, that should not give him or her free reign to say whatever they want. Theres been a lot of that from the left...how one CANNOT critiscise Murtha's comments, because...well...."he's a HERO!!!" Thats crap. Its crap for Murtha to think he can say whatever he wants because of his service and its crap for the Dems to use him as some kind of indestructible mouthpiece for their cause.  And of course...its hypocritical considering every time Bush stands in front of an American flag, a military symbol or conjures up 9/11, the left goes NUTS.

Now....Ive only recently become aware of the character assasination of Murtha thats going on. Thats wrong. But Mick..how is it different that whats going on with Judge Alito? Senator Kennedy called him every name in the book last week, with no factual basis to do so. So had every left leaning website. Thats different? Its lame on both sides. Try to realize that just once.

Finally...MY assertion that Murtha deserves to be criticised is NOT in connection with those who are looking to tarnish or question his war record. It comes DIRECTLY from his comments. I think you have me confused with someone who sympathizes with those folks. I dont. Im speaking (and disparaging)  HIS RECENT defeatist comments about an immediate pullout and the state of the military. Thats all I was referring to.

573870[/snapback]

Nothing lame about that response at all.

Murtha's opinions on the war or whatever are fair game. Frankly, I haven't read up on what he has said on the issue other than to know that he is a conservative democrat who usually supports the President on these kinds of issues who has now been very critical of the war. I couldn't tell you exactly what his ideas are on the war or even if I agree or disagree with him. The personal villification of him, even questioning his marine corps service and commendations is uncalled for no matter what his views.

As for Alito, I think if you search my posts (spare yourself the agony and trust me on this) you will find that I have said pretty much nothing about the hearings. I haven't watched them. I did listen to Specter questioning him on the radio on the way home one night and I think I heard a little of Schumer as well. In what I heard, there was nothing personal leveled at him. I'll take your word for it on Kennedy. Whatever he said in the way of personal attacks would be out of bounds in my view and a waste of time, even if the goal is to stop his confirmation.

I reached the opinion myself pretty early on that he is going to be confirmed unless he confessed to being a satanist or something at the hearings. That being the case, the hearings held no interest for me. I suspected that the Senators all knew he was going to be confirmed as well so they were just going to use the air time and attention for their own reasons. I saw a skit on the Daily Show mocking out how long they were talking without actually asking a question. I think that is what happens when confirmation is a foregone conclusion, no need for them to ask any questions in that case so they just turn it into a long photo op for themselves.

What were the worst questions or charges levelled at them that you recall? Give me the high/low lights.

You always did prefer to make up positions for me that I haven't taken and then criticize me for them.  At least you're now doing it openly, inventing my responses for me before I have made them.

574018[/snapback]

Since you have done it so often, you have become predictable.

Since you have done it so often, you have become predictable.

574041[/snapback]

As I said:

"Very similar to your post claiming that I was excusing democrats from all criticism in response to a post of mine where I was directly critical of democrats. I am still waiting for you to explain that one to me."

Still waiting....

dems seem to forget that they attacked  a REAL HERO as a doddering old man back in 1996.

Bob Dole is a real hero. He was way more qualified than clinton. I couldn't believe that more of the US population (definitely not a majority) liked that draft dodging hillbilly whorehopper than a real patriot.

573987[/snapback]

Was he attacked on his service (Dole)? If not, you have no point. He was a doddering old man when he was running. He also had one of the longer Political careers based on doing next to nothing.

And that is different than our current President in what way? His rep as a party boy, drinker, alleged coke user, and womanizer seems to have even one-upped old slick Willie. His "military" service (Guard/Reserves) record is spotty at it's absolute best, and was little more than draft dodging itself to begin with. That's how the privileged legally escaped real military service.

Oh I forgot, GW was born again.......right.

• 5 months later...
As I said before on the soldiers in haditha, I believe in due process and letting justice prevail.

Because of the  statement by murtha, which I do not approve, he is now being being smeared, here's a link to the latest smear campaign.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200606290008

722838[/snapback]

The "smear campaign" to apologize for misquoting or mischaracterizing him?

Yeah....damn them.....

;)