African American Interviews for Bills HC

i thought there was a league rule you had to interview a certain amount of african-american candidates for every head coaching vacancy. isn't that why lions matt millen got fined a few hundred thousand years ago for hiring mariucci directly and not invterviewing any black candidates? how come we have not seen any black candidates discussed for the bills too?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought there was a league rule you had to interview a certain amount of african-american candidates for every head coaching vacancy. isn't that why lions matt millen got fined a few hundred thousand years ago for hiring mariucci directly and not invterviewing any black candidates?  how come we have not seen any black candidates discussed for the bills too?

571313[/snapback]

did you come to this board to get information?

:lol::lol::huh:

It's any minority-not just blacks. Rivera, for example, is hispanic and would qualify as well.

Hold your horses. Only two candidates have been interviewed thus far. Likely more than one minority candidate will be interviewed. Cotrell and Rivera perhaps.

i thought there was a league rule you had to interview a certain amount of african-american candidates for every head coaching vacancy. isn't that why lions matt millen got fined a few hundred thousand years ago for hiring mariucci directly and not invterviewing any black candidates?  how come we have not seen any black candidates discussed for the bills too?

571313[/snapback]

Maybe Ralph has decided to stick it to the man.

It's any minority-not just blacks. Rivera, for example, is hispanic and would qualify as well.

Hold your horses. Only two candidates have been interviewed thus far. Likely more than one minority candidate will be interviewed. Cotrell and Rivera perhaps.

571318[/snapback]

how many are they required to interview? 1, 2 or more?

Isn't it interesting that wash-outs and has-beens continue to be talked about for HC vacancies and are always in "the mix"...but you never hear Ray Rhodes named mentioned? Art Shell never got another shot.

Now, I'm not saying it's because they're black. But if Dennis Erickson ever gets another shot at the HC role, I don't know WHAT to believe.

571318[/snapback]

That is not exactly right. The question came up regarding Norman Chow (who is Chinese) and team was told "No" he does not count.

Maybe Marv can inteview himself to qualify. :huh:

Isn't it interesting that wash-outs and has-beens continue to be talked about for HC vacancies and are always in "the mix"...but you never hear Ray Rhodes named mentioned?  Art Shell never got another shot. 

Now, I'm not saying it's because they're black.  But if Dennis Erickson ever gets another shot at the HC role, I don't know WHAT to believe.

571567[/snapback]

I think Ray Rhodes has some serious health concerns, and there is some question about how much more coaching he will do after this year...

I agree with you on Art Shell. The guy had a very good record, coaching for a maroon like Al Davis, yet has never received any consideration from anyone, despite the fact that he routinely expresses a desire to be a head coach again. At this point, people will use the excuse that he has been away from the game too long...bit it is just that, an excuse...

That is not exactly right.  The question came up regarding Norman Chow (who is Chinese) and team was told "No" he does not count.

Maybe Marv can inteview himself to qualify.  :huh:

571690[/snapback]

My understanding is that teams are required to interview 1 minority candidate, that the league will take seriously accusations from credible sources (meaning the NFLPA or the few former A-A HCs, but not necessarily complaints by Rev. Jester Jackson), and that a reasonable "minority" interview is not determined by some quota-esque or yahoo fixation on numbers (really short people make up a minority of the population or 80 year olds make up a minority of the population) but by a minority group really having been discriminated against by the MFL in the past.

Under this interpretation, a Norman Chow diversifies the HC pool because he is an Asian-American, but he Asians genereally were not even part of the pool of qualified applicants (nor were women, nor were left handed smoke shifters) but A-A's were as over a majority of the former players are of A-A descent and have been for a while and the good old boy network gave them no fair opportunity to be HCs (or even QBs) until recently.

I think the minority interview reqyirement is definitely improving both the diversity and the quality (thanks to the playoff making leadership of Lewis, Smith, Dungy, Edwards and even Art Shelll way back) of the HC hiring pool.

Under this interpretation, a Norman Chow diversifies the HC pool because he is an Asian-American, but he Asians genereally were not even part of the pool of qualified applicants (nor were women, nor were left handed smoke shifters) but A-A's were as over a majority of the former players are of A-A descent and have been for a while and the good old boy network gave them no fair opportunity to be HCs (or even QBs) until recently.

571704[/snapback]

The problem is the league said that Norman Chow WASN'T qualified as a minority and there are Asian players in the league. The rule is bogus because it does not state what it truely is.

I think Ray Rhodes has some serious health concerns, and there is some question about how much more coaching he will do after this year...

I agree with you on Art Shell.  The guy had a very good record, coaching for a maroon like Al Davis, yet has never received any consideration from anyone, despite the fact that he routinely expresses a desire to be a head coach again.  At this point, people will use the excuse that he has been away from the game too long...bit it is just that, an excuse...

571697[/snapback]

I understand why Shell isn't mentioned now, because of his health. But he hasn't been considered a top candidate for every position like some of these jamokes.

And I also agree re:Shell. it's been awhile. But, what about 4 years ago?...6 years ago?