African American Interviews for Bills HC

Actually, I think a very solid argument could be made that they do.

Bear in mind that I don't have any actual stats to back this claim up, so it might be totally bogus, but follow this argument -

In most industries, positions that are very demanding, selective and pay extremely well (for instance, CEOs of big companies, major law partners, etc) a very high percentage of those positions are held by Ivy Leaguers, far greater than their representation in the general population.

NFL coaches share these same characteristics (demanding, slective & $), yet I suspect that the %age of these positions held by Ivy leaguers is probably smaller than that in other industries and even possibly less than that of the general population.

This seems like a more valid case of unfair discrimination than the current claims of racial discrimination in the NFL.

572674[/snapback]

ooohh...the poor oppresssed Ivy Leaguer. Believe me, a black coach with a .432 winning record would not have been interviewed. Let me see...I'm Art Shell, a black guy, hall of fame player... .557 winning record. He's Dick Jauron, white guy with a .432 record. hmmmmm....and my interview is a "token" interview? Oh...wait a minute...I don't even get a "token" interview?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Al Davis was the first owner with the guts and the sense to hire a black head coach.

572678[/snapback]

True....but the guy is pretty rough on his coaches, and shows little patience with them. Shell got screwed by him. Did anyone seriously think that Norv Turner would last in Oakland. When he got hired, I remember thinking "he will be lucky if he lasts a second year." Gruden was the only one who struck first with Davis. Like Ralph, I think, Davis doesn't hold his coaches in very high esteem.

True....but the guy is pretty rough on his coaches, and shows little patience with them.  Shell got screwed by him.  Did anyone seriously think that Norv Turner would last in Oakland. When he got hired, I remember thinking "he will be lucky if he lasts a second year." Gruden was the only one who struck first with Davis.  Like Ralph, I think, Davis doesn't hold his coaches in very high esteem.

572798[/snapback]

Raiders haven't done much since Gruden left.

One strange thing about the Raiders is that they got a number of draft picks in exchange for letting Gruden go. I get the sense that they haven't done much with those selections. Anybody got the details?

Raiders haven't done much since Gruden left.

One strange thing about the Raiders is that they got a number of draft picks in exchange for letting Gruden go.  I get the sense that they haven't done much with those selections.  Anybody got the details?

572857[/snapback]

They got two first rounders from the Gruden trade.

In the first year they drafted Philip Buchanon and Napoleon Harris with their first rounders... Philip Buchanon was a head case and a bust, Harris was a mediocre player they tossed into the Randy Moss trade. In the second round they drafted OT Langston Walker who was ready to start for them this year before getting hurt, and TE Doug Jolley whom they traded.

The next year they drafted Nnamdi Asomugah and Tyler Brayton with the last two picks in the first round. Asomugah has been an o.k. player, and Brayton is still a backup. In the second round they drafted Teyo Johnson, who despite a bit of preseason hype in Fantasy Football mags has been a complete bust.

The Raiders suffered this year from a very hard schedule, Kerry Collins being his usual erratic self, and probably some bad coaching by Norv Turner. They should be better next year, provided they can find a QB.

JDG