Indianapolis Bills

As much as i think Bill Polian was a drafting genius and what he did for the Super Bowl Bills in early 90's was unmatched, these colts remind me of the 90's bills. They have an explosive offense, with a great QB, RB, and WR. they have a tight end that can catch the ball downfield like Keith McKeller. And they also have a good defense, which is fast, but undersized. The Steelers showed how to stop the Colts offense by repeatedly blitzing Manning as well. The bills defense in the early 90's had Jeff Wright, Leon Seals and Bruce Smith up front. Their average weight was around 270 lbs. How did they do going against the huge 300-lb line of Redskins and Cowboys, the results speak for themselves. Another point to make is how good a player is Troy Polamalu. Wasn't Cowher at odds with Tom donohoe over his drafting and Cowher won the argument. In your face Donohoe!!!!! :pirate:

As much as i think Bill Polian was a drafting genius and what he did for the Super Bowl Bills in early 90's was unmatched, these colts remind me of the 90's bills. They have an explosive offense, with a great QB, RB, and WR. they have a tight end that can catch the ball downfield like Keith McKeller. And they also have a good defense, which is fast, but undersized. The Steelers showed how to stop the Colts offense by repeatedly blitzing Manning as well. The bills defense in the early 90's had Jeff Wright, Leon Seals and Bruce Smith up front. Their average weight was around 270 lbs. How did they do going against the huge 300-lb line of Redskins and Cowboys, the results speak for themselves. Another point to make is how good a player is Troy Polamalu. Wasn't Cowher at odds with Tom donohoe over his drafting and Cowher won the argument. In your face Donohoe!!!!! :pirate:

569572[/snapback]

I agree....living in Buffalo and now Indy, it's easy to make comparisons. Here is a few more that come to mind:

Leonard Smith vs. Bob Sanders - both hard hitting safeties, especially in run support

TT vs. E. James - both multi-dimensional backs who often played in a single-back formation

Bruce Smith vs. Dwight Freeney - speed...hopefully Freeney will become as effective against the run as BS did

Norwood/Christie vs. Mike Vanderjadt - reliable PK's (despite yesterday's miss)

Kent Hull vs. Jeff Saturday - good, smart centers

Lofton/A.Reed vs. Harrison/Wayne - either pair can beat you.

QB's - both active in play calling and no-huddle

Wolford vs. Glenn - effective LT's

Marchibroda vs. Moore - experienced OC's

Things that don't compare as well:

3-4 vs. 4-3 D

Special Teams - Indy not that great

Linebackers - Indy trio can't compare to Biscuit, Conlan, Talley

There is NO comparison between the super bowl Bills and the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts have not earned the right to be even mentioned in the same breath as the Bills. The Buffalo Bills went to FOUR straight super bowls! Win, lose or draw that accomplishment will never be done again.

In contrast the Colts are choke artists of the first order. Manning is not as good as Kelly, Harrison is not as good as Reed, James is not as good as Thomas, Freely is not as good as Smith. Heck, no one in the Colts secondary is as good as Kelso! The Bills studs produced in multiple playoff games throughout their careers. What have the big time Colt players accomplished in their playoff games? Not much, thank you!

From the 41 – 0 beating they took at the hands of the Jets a few years ago to yesterdays horrendous performance, the Colts are a pimple on the A@# of NFL history while as each year goes by the Bills achievements look grander and more amazing. Everything was set up for the Colts, home dome advantage, loud crowd and “big time” players. And what happened, they got crushed by the Steelers. The game wasn’t as close as the score.

Sorry I had to get this off my chest. Whatever you may say about the Bills, they NEVER, I repeat NEVER, blew a home playoff game during their best years like the Colts did yesterday. From the coaching staff to the water boy the Colts are not in the same league as the super bowl Bills.

There is NO comparison between the super bowl Bills and the Indianapolis Colts.  The Colts have not earned the right to be even mentioned in the same breath as the Bills.  The Buffalo Bills went to FOUR straight super bowls!  Win, lose or draw that accomplishment will never be done again. 

In contrast the Colts are choke artists of the first order.  Manning is not as good as Kelly, Harrison is not as good as Reed, James is not as good as Thomas, Freely is not as good as Smith.  Heck, no one in the Colts secondary is as good as Kelso!  The Bills studs produced in multiple playoff games throughout their careers.  What have the big time Colt players accomplished in their playoff games?  Not much, thank you! 

From the 41 – 0 beating they took at the hands of the Jets a few years ago to yesterdays horrendous performance, the Colts are a pimple on the A@# of NFL history while as each year goes by the Bills achievements look grander and more amazing.  Everything was set up for the Colts, home dome advantage, loud crowd and “big time” players.  And what happened, they got crushed by the Steelers.  The game wasn’t as close as the score.

Sorry I had to get this off my chest.  Whatever you may say about the Bills, they NEVER, I repeat NEVER, blew a home playoff game during their best years like the Colts did yesterday.  From the coaching staff to the water boy the Colts are not in the same league as the super bowl Bills.

569793[/snapback]

GREAT post! :doh::pirate:

The Bills did not fall apart until they got to the Super Bowl. The Colts fall apart once the playoffs start. Big difference.

569759[/snapback]

What? Fall apart? Indy faced a good team playing their best football, and came out rusty, which many knew was a risk after so many weeks without a meaningful game plus a bye. And they rallied and started to take control of the game. Vaderjackt makes that kick 8 or 9 out of 10 times, and is the guy you want kicking it. Sometimes Jordan would miss a buzzer beater, and sometimes not.

And I don't think the Bills fell apart in their super bowl years. They were not clearly the best team in any of those four Super Bowl years, and came up short in each obviously. But Norwood makes that kick maybe 50% of the time, so if that hypothetical coin comes up tails, everything is different.

Maybe it is as a lifelong Bills / Red Sox fan (don't ask), but I've always been bothered by the idea that finishing second in a particular event at a particular time has to do with character. Try to be the best, and try to play your best game each time out. But don't turn into a head case when you either aren't the best, or things don't go your way.

Indy will probably win it all next year, and we won't have to hear about this stuff. And like the 2004 Red Sox, I hope the Bills can give me one four game post season winning streak (3 if they get a bye) and erase the idea that losing those four games was anything other than not winning four particular games against four very good teams.

What?  Fall apart?  Indy faced a good team playing their best football, and came out rusty, which many knew was a risk after so many weeks without a meaningful game plus a bye.  And they rallied and started to take control of the game.  Vaderjackt makes that kick 8 or 9 out of 10 times, and is the guy you want kicking it.  Sometimes Jordan would miss a buzzer beater, and sometimes not.

And I don't think the Bills fell apart in their super bowl years.  They were not clearly the best team in any of those four Super Bowl years, and came up short in each obviously.  But Norwood makes that kick maybe 50% of the time, so if that hypothetical coin comes up tails, everything is different.

Maybe it is as a lifelong Bills / Red Sox fan (don't ask), but I've always been bothered by the idea that finishing second in a particular event at a particular time has to do with character.  Try to be the best, and try to play your best game each time out.  But don't turn into a head case when you either aren't the best, or things don't go your way.

Indy will probably win it all next year, and we won't have to hear about this stuff.  And like the 2004 Red Sox, I hope the Bills can give me one four game post season winning streak (3 if they get a bye) and erase the idea that losing those four games was anything other than not winning four particular games against four very good teams.

569806[/snapback]

I disagree the Bills were clearly the better team in the first Superbowl.

And I don't think the Bills fell apart in their super bowl years.  They were not clearly the best team in any of those four Super Bowl years, and came up short in each obviously.

569806[/snapback]

THANK YOU! I wish more national sports journalists and more NFL fans could understand this.

Both games against the Cowboys, the Bills were the inferior team - no contest. Against the Redskins, the talent difference was less so but our Bills still didn't match up well against this particular team...especially on our D side of the ball vs their huge OL (arguably the greatest of all time) and their three talented WR's (Art Monk, Gary Clark, and I can't remember the third :blink: ).

The Giants were the only Super Bowl team that the Bills probably had the talent advantage. We lost that one primarily due to coaching. However, we lost that one by one missed field goal to two soon-to-be Hall of Fame coaches: Bill Parcells and Bill Belichik.

THANK YOU! I wish more national sports journalists and more NFL fans could understand this.

Both games against the Cowboys, the Bills were the inferior team - no contest. Against the Redskins, the talent difference was less so but our Bills still didn't match up well against this particular team...especially on our D side of the ball vs their huge OL (arguably the greatest of all time) and their three talented WR's (Art Monk, Gary Clark, and I can't remember the third  :) ).

The Giants were the only Super Bowl team that the Bills probably had the talent advantage. We lost that one primarily due to coaching. However, we lost that one by one missed field goal to two soon-to-be Hall of Fame coaches: Bill Parcells and Bill Belichik.

570004[/snapback]

Ricky Sanders. :blink:

There is NO comparison between the super bowl Bills and the Indianapolis Colts.  The Colts have not earned the right to be even mentioned in the same breath as the Bills.  The Buffalo Bills went to FOUR straight super bowls!  Win, lose or draw that accomplishment will never be done again. 

In contrast the Colts are choke artists of the first order.  Manning is not as good as Kelly, Harrison is not as good as Reed, James is not as good as Thomas, Freely is not as good as Smith.  Heck, no one in the Colts secondary is as good as Kelso!  The Bills studs produced in multiple playoff games throughout their careers.  What have the big time Colt players accomplished in their playoff games?  Not much, thank you! 

From the 41 – 0 beating they took at the hands of the Jets a few years ago to yesterdays horrendous performance, the Colts are a pimple on the A@# of NFL history while as each year goes by the Bills achievements look grander and more amazing.  Everything was set up for the Colts, home dome advantage, loud crowd and “big time” players.  And what happened, they got crushed by the Steelers.  The game wasn’t as close as the score.

Sorry I had to get this off my chest.  Whatever you may say about the Bills, they NEVER, I repeat NEVER, blew a home playoff game during their best years like the Colts did yesterday.  From the coaching staff to the water boy the Colts are not in the same league as the super bowl Bills.

569793[/snapback]

Manning isnt as good as Kelly???? hmmmm.. not so sure about that.I may give manning the edge there.

Manning isnt as good as Kelly???? hmmmm.. not so sure about that.I may give manning the edge there.

570156[/snapback]

Stats are nothing for a QB if he can't win some playoff games! Think of the game Kelly had against Cleveland in 99 when the Bills lost a shoot out. At least Kelly came to play. Or how about the AFC championship games against LA, Miami and KC. Jim had excellent games in all three! Manning has got to win a couple of more playoff games and at least get to one super bowl before he can be at Kellys level. Think about the last two drives Indy had against the Steelers. With the game on the line Manning takes back to back sacks to hand Pittsburg the ball on the 2. Then after the miracle fumble, Manning completely messes up the FG drive. As we Bills fans know FG’s beyond 45 yards are never sure things. Manning had the responsibility of getting the Colts into easy FG position. Let’s face it, the Steelers had conceded the FG and they were concerned about the TD. On 3rd and 2 at the Pittsburg 29, Manning should have run James to get the first down! He then could have moved them closer to give Vandershot a sure thing. Instead he almost threw a pick 20 yards downfield!

So when you consider the last two drives and the FACT that Manning threw an INT midway through the 4th that would have ended the game (the NFL now admits the ref was wrong) his performance AT HOME in a playoff game at CRUNCH TIME was horrible.

So yes, Kelly was a better QB than Manning is today.