How can this NOT be a good thing?

With the revelation that Mularkey couldn't find assistant coaches, and that the criticism deeply affected him and his family, although I feel bad for him, it was only a good thing for the Bills that he resigned. A head coach cannot take criticism like that to heart too much, to the point of it making him want to quit. That's not who the Bills want or need as a HC. Also had he stayed, it's likely the Bills would have had to settle for some lame assistant coaches instead of the good ones that are out there. Would that have pleased anyone? I'm just glad I'm finding this out NOW instead of later, if at all.

Now hopefully the Bills can find some good assistants and a HC. I think they have a good chance of that.

With the revelation that Mularkey couldn't find assistant coaches, and that the criticism deeply affected him and his family, although I feel bad for him, it was only a good thing for the Bills that he resigned.  A head coach cannot take criticism like that to heart too much, to the point of it making him want to quit.  That's not who the Bills want or need as a HC.  Also had he stayed, it's likely the Bills would have had to settle for some lame assistant coaches instead of the good ones that are out there.  Would that have pleased anyone?  I'm just glad I'm finding this out NOW instead of later, if at all.

Now hopefully the Bills can find some good assistants and a HC.  I think they have a good chance of that.

564210[/snapback]

I agree completely.

With the revelation that Mularkey couldn't find assistant coaches, and that the criticism deeply affected him and his family, although I feel bad for him, it was only a good thing for the Bills that he resigned.  A head coach cannot take criticism like that to heart too much, to the point of it making him want to quit.  That's not who the Bills want or need as a HC.  Also had he stayed, it's likely the Bills would have had to settle for some lame assistant coaches instead of the good ones that are out there.  Would that have pleased anyone?  I'm just glad I'm finding this out NOW instead of later, if at all.

Now hopefully the Bills can find some good assistants and a HC.  I think they have a good chance of that.

564210[/snapback]

Well said... B-)

564210[/snapback]

Amen.

The more that I think about this, it looks like good old fashioned business management by Ralph.  If he fires the guy it costs him a boatload of money, so instead you give him alot of incentive to quit.  Kinda like giving George Costanza the crappy basement office.

Except that if reports are true that they tried to talk him out of leaving, he'll get paid something. Maybe not the $3M he has left, but a good chunk of that.

Kinda like giving George Costanza the crappy basement office.

564250[/snapback]

I think you mean Milton Waddams.

Perhaps Mularky is pissed because they took his stapler...

it's just a form/function thing.

Functionally this is what most fans wanted, but form wise... it looks baaaaad.

564220[/snapback]

It looks worse than bad. It looks ridiculous.

If there was concern about coaches wanting to work in Buffalo this morning, that concern has just turned into an all out panic.

It's becoming more obvious that the top management did not give MM a full vote of confidence last week. By keeping him, but firing TD and most of his assistants was the ultimate knee-breaker.

With MM exiting this way (and trust me, the NFL insiders know a lot more than what's being aired) you are not going to get a single A-name coaching candidate to come within 150 miles of Orchard Park, unless they're in town for an away game. We'll be lucky if Hofher accepts the job.

No matter what MM did during the season with playcalling, player decisions, etc to submarine his chances, all the NFL insiders are going to talk about is how cooky Ralph pulled the rug out from a respected GM and then let his coach hanging with the vultures for a week. People will suddenly remember a generous Ralph Wilson who tried to sneak out of paying the balance of Wade Phillips' contract.

Yey, I'm jumping for joy at this day's events.

It looks worse than bad.  It looks ridiculous. 

If there was concern about coaches wanting to work in Buffalo this morning, that concern has just turned into an all out panic.

It's becoming more obvious that the top management did not give MM a full vote of confidence last week.  By keeping him, but firing TD and most of his assistants was the ultimate knee-breaker.

With MM exiting this way (and trust me, the NFL insiders know a lot more than what's being aired) you are not going to get a single A-name coaching candidate to come within 150 miles of Orchard Park, unless they're in town for an away game.  We'll be lucky if Hofher accepts the job.

No matter what MM did during the season with playcalling, player decisions, etc to submarine his chances, all the NFL insiders are going to talk about is how cooky Ralph pulled the rug out from a respected GM and then let his coach hanging with the vultures for a week.  People will suddenly remember a generous Ralph Wilson who tried to sneak out of paying the balance of Wade Phillips' contract.

Mularkey should have resigned when TD was fired. Apparently he realized his situation when he couldn't get any decent assistant coaches and probably his kids were being harrassed even more this past week. Again I feel bad for him, but this HAD to happen, and better sooner rather than later. The alternative was keeping Mularkey and having assistants on the order of Vinklarek, Ronnie Jones, etc.

Mularkey should have resigned when TD was fired. 

564319[/snapback]

He sure should have. At least he would've been able to save face with his assistants & really with the rest of the league.

The alternative was keeping Mularkey and having assistants on the order of Vinklarek, Ronnie Jones, etc.

564319[/snapback]

And another board is saying that not wanting to dump Brad Roll is the main reason he's gone. B-)

Actually I think the move was best for him and that is why he did it...especially, if his kids are taking heat at school. Just plain wrong!!

That said, it is probably best for the Bills long term but this year is a crap shot...

Actually I think the move was best for him and that is why he did it...especially, if his kids are taking heat at school.  Just plain wrong!!

That said, it is probably best for the Bills long term but this year is a crap shot...

I think the Bills have a chance to add some real good assistant coaches this year, at the very least. There are a good number of good DC's and some good OC's.

It's becoming more obvious that the top management did not give MM a full vote of confidence last week.  By keeping him, but firing TD and most of his assistants was the ultimate knee-breaker.

With MM exiting this way (and trust me, the NFL insiders know a lot more than what's being aired) you are not going to get a single A-name coaching candidate to come within 150 miles of Orchard Park, unless they're in town for an away game.  We'll be lucky if Hofher accepts the job.

No matter what MM did during the season with playcalling, player decisions, etc to submarine his chances, all the NFL insiders are going to talk about is how cooky Ralph pulled the rug out from a respected GM and then let his coach hanging with the vultures for a week.  People will suddenly remember a generous Ralph Wilson who tried to sneak out of paying the balance of Wade Phillips' contract.

564302[/snapback]

This is definitely a valid perspective GG..Slightly different take from me. I don't think the perspective around the league will be that Ralphy pulled the rug out from under Donahoe. Even with the throwaway 3-13 season, Donahoe was still 28-36 in 4 years. 5 years total is hardly a rug pull.

The Mularkey situation specifically is disconcerting as you point out. But everyone in the league and on heaven and earth knows that MM entered 2006 on a very short leash. When you combine this with the assistant coach salary situation, there is no way an A List assistant is going to take a chance on going down on that ship. Even with a two year guarantee--no coach is going to accept a job on this staff due to the tenuous position of the head coach and the low salary..both those things existed whether MM stayed on or not. His resignation doesn't impact that in my opinion. MM basically had until the bye week next year to prove himself...he evaluated that heavily the last week and said I can't win given these factors--

Two things will show that Ralph is serious about winning and still has a human side..First, does he bump the pay of the coach he hires..we need to pay someone in the range of $2 Million a year to give the person enough room to hire assistants at good rates. I leave it to Marv, Modrak and Ralph to find the right man..but give him the financial structure to succeed.

Second--if Ralph takes care of MM in severance--that will be a good peace sign to all coaches--giving MM a season's bridge would do wonders for Ralph's rep in this area.

Despite the doom and gloom -- there is talent on this team...and cap room...4 prime draft picks...the NFL is reputation league but its also a money league..we may have to overpay for a couple of Free Agents this offseason to gain the "Great place to play" rep back--but that is easy to do.

To those that think Ralph doesn't have the money...how many people do you know that invested $25K in 1960 and have an asset worth $450M today...he's got money...does he want to spend it is the question...his buddy Marv will convince him to spend....

He sure should have. At least he would've been able to save face with his assistants & really with the rest of the league.

And another board is saying that not wanting to dump Brad Roll is the main reason he's gone. B-)

564329[/snapback]

The only thing I don't like about this is Marv and Ralph seemed to be the only two who thought keeping Mukarkey around was a good idea. What does that say about Marv's judgement?

That being said I like to see a strong-willed coach take the job. I don't know if Hass is the guy or not.

564302[/snapback]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a good thing.

A.) HC is not a lame duck.

B.) New HC will probably have a three year contract, meaning assistant coaches will have the opportunity to come in prove themselves, without immediate pressure to perform or be gone.

C.) Some young nucleus talent is in place. Other talent can be purchased or drafted.

D.) The right HC with a proven record can attract the right talent we need. (Sherman comes to mind first)

E.) Possible quick turn around first year. B-)