How can this NOT be a good thing?

The only thing I don't like about this is Marv and Ralph seemed to be the only two who thought keeping Mukarkey around was a good idea.  What does that say about Marv's judgement?

That being said I like to see a strong-willed coach take the job.  I don't know if Hass is the guy or not.

564351[/snapback]

This meeting was not about keeping MM. It was how to gracefully get out of this situation. How much severance was the question?

Been there in corporate business.

With the revelation that Mularkey couldn't find assistant coaches, and that the criticism deeply affected him and his family, although I feel bad for him, it was only a good thing for the Bills that he resigned.  A head coach cannot take criticism like that to heart too much, to the point of it making him want to quit.  That's not who the Bills want or need as a HC.  Also had he stayed, it's likely the Bills would have had to settle for some lame assistant coaches instead of the good ones that are out there.  Would that have pleased anyone?  I'm just glad I'm finding this out NOW instead of later, if at all.

Now hopefully the Bills can find some good assistants and a HC.  I think they have a good chance of that.

564210[/snapback]

I don't think it is so much what has happened, it is the way it is going down that has some of us old timers concerned. This team is looking pretty clueless right now...

I don't think it is so much what has happened, it is the way it is going down that has some of us old timers concerned.  This team is looking pretty clueless right now...

Actually I think the team ends up looking and smelling like a rose. They didn't fire their HC after just 2 seasons, which as I said sends a bad message to other potential coaches, and Mularkey ends up looking like a wuss. The Bills get to start over with a new coaching staff and some decent assistant coaching candidates out there.

Well maybe MM had the last laugh. The owner and the new GM give him a vote of confidence and a week later he resigns, completely catching the org off guard, telling everyone that the he didn't like the direction the organization was going. He basically told the world that the Bills are so screwed up internally that he feels there is no possiblity of winning there.

Now the last guy who had the the job your interested in, whom the owner liked, has decided it was time to abandon ship due to the stench. If you are a sane individual you immediately think twice, three times, four times and maybe eve decide it could be career suicide to work for that org.

I think MM had the last laugh and scr3w3d the Bills over so bad it could take years for it to recover. We'll know shortly when and if they hire a new head coach.

Well maybe MM had the last laugh.  The owner and the new GM give him a vote of confidence and a week later he resigns, completely catching the org off guard, telling everyone that the he didn't like the direction the organization was going.  He basically told the world that the Bills are so screwed up internally that he feels there is no possiblity of winning there.

Now the last guy who had the the job your interested in, whom the owner liked, has decided it was time to abandon ship due to the stench.  If you are a sane individual you immediately think twice, three times, four times and maybe eve decide it could be career suicide to work for that org.

I think MM had the last laugh and scr3w3d the Bills over so bad it could take years for it to recover.  We'll know shortly when and if they hire a new head coach.

Except that Haslett would take the job in a millisecond.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a good thing.

A.) HC is not a lame duck.

B.) New HC will probably have a three year contract, meaning assistant coaches will have the opportunity to come in prove themselves, without immediate pressure to perform or be gone.

C.) Some young nucleus talent is in place. Other talent can be purchased or drafted.

D.) The right HC with a proven record can attract the right talent we need. (Sherman comes to mind first)

E.) Possible quick turn around first year. :(

564352[/snapback]

Bubble has already been burst, but not by you.

Tell me roman, what experienced coach would love to jump into a situation:

- where the owner doesn't want to pay the HC more than what assistants make on other NFL teams

- where assistants make less than at some colleges

- where the owner is known to have withheld payment from a contract

- where 2 previous HCs were fired for not meeting fluid expectations of the owner

- where the owner is known to meddle in player decisions

- where you have an unproven GM

- where you just had a player mutiny

Yeah, that 3 year contract sure sounds enticing.

I'll take "Sharp stick in the eye, for $100, Alex."

It looks worse than bad.  It looks ridiculous. 

If there was concern about coaches wanting to work in Buffalo this morning, that concern has just turned into an all out panic.

It's becoming more obvious that the top management did not give MM a full vote of confidence last week.  By keeping him, but firing TD and most of his assistants was the ultimate knee-breaker.

With MM exiting this way (and trust me, the NFL insiders know a lot more than what's being aired) you are not going to get a single A-name coaching candidate to come within 150 miles of Orchard Park, unless they're in town for an away game.  We'll be lucky if Hofher accepts the job.

No matter what MM did during the season with playcalling, player decisions, etc to submarine his chances, all the NFL insiders are going to talk about is how cooky Ralph pulled the rug out from a respected GM and then let his coach hanging with the vultures for a week.  People will suddenly remember a generous Ralph Wilson who tried to sneak out of paying the balance of Wade Phillips' contract.

Yey, I'm jumping for joy at this day's events.

564302[/snapback]

you think td should have stayed because he was well respected? Who cares, he didn't win.

Actually I think the team ends up looking and smelling like a rose.  They didn't fire their HC after just 2 seasons, which as I said sends a bad message to other potential coaches, and Mularkey ends up looking like a wuss.  The Bills get to start over with a new coaching staff and some decent assistant coaching candidates out there.

564377[/snapback]

My perception is opposite. I think the organization is looking incompetent, indecisive, clueless as to what they are doing, and cheap! I don't know how anyone, outside the organization could see it any differently. There are what, 7 to 10 HC jobs available in the NFL right now? I would think anyone with a track record of success, or anyone like Mangini, a hot young prospect, would decline the Bills job for any of the others, except maybe Detroit.

I think everyone doing cartwheels because 80 year old Ralph Wilson has decided to take an active role in the day to day operations of the team (from his ivory tower in Detroit), with the help of an inexperienced 80 year old GM, and an abesentee GM assistant (Modrak lives in Florida), is really not seeing the reality of this situation. This team has taken a major stumble the last 2 weeks. It isn't simply, now, a matter of tweaking the roster, and building an O-line. I can't see any players wanting to stay in this situation, when they can opt out, and I certainly don't see players of any quality (like Takeo Spikes) rushing to sign up to play for the Bills.