Lightning Waive Andy

Peter

No.  He doesn't fit what this team does, even if he is a great leader.  42 year old stationary players don't fit today's NHL.

561329[/snapback]

Amen. Andy had a damn good run. Remeber the Peach Fuzz rookie line?

I think it was Paul Cyr, Andreychuck, and I can't remember the other....

No.  He doesn't fit what this team does, even if he is a great leader.  42 year old stationary players don't fit today's NHL.

561329[/snapback]

I totally agree with what you say except that I thought that there could be a role for him as purely a specialty player on power players. I would not put him on a regular shift. With the new rules, guys are skating circles around him.

I totally agree with what you say except that I thought that there could be a role for him as purely a specialty player on power players.  I would not put him on a regular shift.  With the new rules, guys are skating circles around him.

561333[/snapback]

The mystery is why they gave him so much ice time or waited this long to pull the trigger, he was still getting about 17 shifts a game this season.

edit: well really no mystery, he is still a great faceoff guy, but once you win the draw you still have the problem of having him on the ice.

I totally agree with what you say except that I thought that there could be a role for him as purely a specialty player on power players.  I would not put him on a regular shift.  With the new rules, guys are skating circles around him.

561333[/snapback]

I just don't want to see him take time away from guys like Vanek, who is doing what Andy does, is only going to get better at it, and adds so much more when he's out there because he can read the play AND get to the puck with speed.

He may be a valuable commodity in the playoffs if the NHL goes backwards on the penalty calls, etc but I'm not sure it's worth waiting to see whether it goes that way or not.

561333[/snapback]

I don't see what he would add to the powerplay. The Sabres have the 2nd best powerplay in the league right now, connecting at a better than 22% rate. Only Detroit is better at 25%. I doubt that Andy would improve the success rate.

One slight problem with the powerplay is the Sabres are tied with 3 other teams for giving up the 6th most shorthanded goals against. They've given up 7, the worst in the league is 9. Putting one of the slowest guys in the league on the ice MIGHT actually help the Sabres make this even worse. He won't be back at the point losing the puck, but he won't be getting back covering any trailers either.

He may be a valuable commodity in the playoffs if the NHL goes backwards on the penalty calls, etc but I'm not sure it's worth waiting to see whether it goes that way or not.

561352[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody picks him up, but the Sabres don't need him,

for the very reasons you say. Somebody may need a space eater, but that would be a step back for Buffalo with an already effective special teams and great team speed.

One slight problem with the powerplay is the Sabres are tied with 3 other teams for giving up the 6th most shorthanded goals against.  They've given up 7, the worst in the league is 9.  Putting one of the slowest guys in the league on the ice MIGHT actually help the Sabres make this even worse.  He won't be back at the point losing the puck, but he won't be getting back covering any trailers either.

561359[/snapback]

That's the trade-off for having the extra forward on the point. Interesting point.

"Too slow and can't keep up in today's NHL" according to the TB GM. Hell, Andreychuck was too slow 10 years ago. He had a great career though and now it's time for him to hang it up. When he was a rookie with the Sabres, half the Sabres on the roster today hadn't even learned to skate yet, a handful weren't even born yet.