Why the he!! did we fire Steve Szabo????

Joe

The secondary was our only bright spot this season!!!  :D  :unsure:  :doh:

558328[/snapback]

if by bright spot you mean those 4 pre season games, then yes, marv and mike really screwed the pooch on this one.

[/sarcasm]

the only bright spots were terrence mcgee and the sometimes emergence of eric king. our secondary was in the same level of suckitude as the rest of the team. To make a philosophy change from "soft, finesse, and trickery" to "character, tough, and smart" you have to can some people. c-ya szabo.

Maybe it was because he was a caustic old fool who didn't know how to coach the athletes he had.

Here is an excerpt from a December 24 Buffalo News Article...

... Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and secondary coach Steve Szabo were involved in a heated argument in the coaches' box during the Carolina game that fell well beyond the normal in-game heated discussion....

Not that arguing with Gray is a bad thing...but there is a time and a place....

558328[/snapback]

I'll send you tape of the Miami game (or the Oakland game).... apparently you stopped watching our secondary after week 3 of the pre-season.

Seriously, WTF are you talking about?

If you think that always getting burned on third and long is a bright spot then I would have to agree with you!

558359[/snapback]

maybe now the defensive backs wont be 10 yards off the receivers on 3rd and short anymore

558360[/snapback]

I'll send you tape of the Miami game (or the Oakland game).... apparently you stopped watching our secondary after week 3 of the pre-season.

Seriously, WTF are you talking about?

558367[/snapback]

Amen, amen, and amen. If you don't want to hold Szabo accountable then Jerry Gray should be. One down, one to go.

Maybe it was because he was a caustic old fool who didn't know how to coach the athletes he had.

Here is an excerpt from a December 24 Buffalo News Article...

... Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and secondary coach Steve Szabo were involved in a heated argument in the coaches' box during the Carolina game that fell well beyond the normal in-game heated discussion....

Not that arguing with Gray is a bad thing...but there is a time and a place....

558363[/snapback]

I never saw that one.

Do you remember hearing or reading anything mroe about it Joe? i.e specifics re: what they were arguing about?

Jerry Gray's horrendous deployment of his secondary weapons was my primary gripe with him and I wonder if Szabo finally snapped and called him on it.

I never saw that one.

Do you remember hearing or reading anything mroe about it Joe? i.e specifics re: what they were arguing about?

Jerry Gray's horrendous deployment of his secondary weapons was my primary gripe with him and I wonder if Szabo finally snapped and called him on it.

558429[/snapback]

I didn't see any more details on this one Simon..but a couple of pure speculations..it surprised me it was the Panthers game because I thought that was one of Clements' better games..he held Steve Smith to 3 catches for 55 yards...and no TD's--Secondary I thought played really well as a whole that day. It was the week after the secondary had well--lets just say--a woefully inadequate game in San Diego (wearing gasoline soaked underwear to an inferno party)...so one could surmise a couple of things:

1) After the SD game Gray took game day secondary calls away from Szabo and Szabo got pissed at being shut out

2) Szabo hated the overall scheme, made some tweaks on his own that week, and then put it in Gray's face when they worked...

Either way it puts the dys in dysfunctional...the only reason I would tend to lean toward scenario #1 is that Gray is a former all pro D-Back...

558328[/snapback]

Our secondary was a pillar of strength in a sea of chaos. Contributing to this strength were Nate Clements' severely deteriorated level of play, the disappearance of Milloy and Vincent, and the failure of backup CBs to live up to the hype.

558328[/snapback]

That didn't make sense. Keeping McNally doesn't either. Releasing 4/5 of the starting line would make more sense but you know that just isn't going to happen. So heads have to roll for it.