Here's what the Bills should do now

1billsfan

BRING BACK THE K GUN OFFENSE.

Yeah I said it. With Levy back in the fold and Sam Wyche, who's the father of the hurry up offense, the Bills need to take drastic measures and make Sam our OC and make our team fast and loose on offense once again. We have Parrish as our #3 receiver, we have Kevin Everett as our TE, Lee Evans, Willis McGahee, Eric Moulds. We have real speed for our offensive skill positions. We even have a pass catching RT we could use as a weapon. I also think the Bills should go after Jim Kelly for the role of QB coach for obvious reasons. Here's another shocker, the Bills need to release Kelly Holcomb. There's no sense in developing an offensive philosophy that suits the starter yet is totally foriegn to the backup. Losman and Holcomb are two completely different style of QBs. The Bills need to get an Aaron Brooks or another veteran like him that fits JP's style to challenge Losman in training camp. The offense needs to develop a specifically defined style of play and go with it. Revamp the K Gun offense and tailor it to the strengths of the players we have and lets let it fly with everyone on the same page and pulling in one direction. I think the key here is to get Bentley as a FA and maybe another stud offensive lineman (BTW, I'm truly hoping we can get a stud pass rusher like Mario Williams for our first round pick). I know I'll get a lot of chuckles out of this idea but I think the Bills should burn whatever offensive playbook they have now and dust off Marchibroda's blue print. So out goes Shelton and Cambell and in comes Parrish and Everett and away we go! Flame away people.

I'm on board with cutting Holcomb loose. Aaron Brooks would be cool, and I'd love it if somehow Daunte Culpepper was released from the Vikings. Vince Young with seasoning but stronger! It won't happen anyways so don't bother flaming me. If we are going to have a QB controversy, bring in a real QB. Holcomb sucks.

I would welcome Sam Wyche as our O-Coordinator, but his condition will more likely prevent that from happening. The man can't yell, and he even gets close to losing his voice after speaking for long periods of time. That would be a lot for the Bills to ask of him to do.

I would welcome Sam Wyche as our O-Coordinator, but his condition will more likely prevent that from happening. The man can't yell, and he even gets close to losing his voice after speaking for long periods of time. That would be a lot for the Bills to ask of him to do.

558304[/snapback]

Sam could be the brains and map out everything from practicing to game planning and he could have an assistant be his mouth piece. Sam could wear a microphone and his assistant could be hooked up to a headset if he needed to communicate verbally. I really wish Kelly could be that guy but I doubt it. Just throwing around ideas.

Yeah I said it. With Levy back in the fold and Sam Wyche, who's the father of the hurry up offense, the Bills need to take drastic measures and make Sam our OC and make our team fast and loose on offense once again. We have Parrish as our #3 receiver, we have Kevin Everett as our TE, Lee Evans, Willis McGahee, Eric Moulds. We have real speed for our offensive skill positions. We even have a pass catching RT we could use as a weapon. I also think the Bills should go after Jim Kelly for the role of QB coach for obvious reasons. Here's another shocker, the Bills need to release Kelly Holcomb. There's no sense in developing an offensive philosophy that suits the starter yet is totally foriegn to the backup. Losman and Holcomb are two completely different style of QBs. The Bills need to get an Aaron Brooks or another veteran like him that fits JP's style to challenge Losman in training camp. The offense needs to develop a specifically defined style of play and go with it. Revamp the K Gun offense and tailor it to the strengths of the players we have and lets let it fly with everyone on the same page and pulling in one direction. I think the key here is to get Bentley as a FA and maybe another stud offensive lineman (BTW, I'm truly hoping we can get a stud pass rusher like Mario Williams for our first round pick). I know I'll get a lot of chuckles out of this idea but I think the Bills should burn whatever offensive playbook they have now and dust off Marchibroda's blue print. So out goes Shelton and Cambell and in comes Parrish and Everett and away we go! Flame away people.

558282[/snapback]

OH GREAT.....BROOKS who is a terminally dumb/unfundamental QB and JP who is completely unproven---thats a real Einsteinian solution to the Bills problems.-Oh yeah--and get rid of an excellent back up QB---they are not at all valuable in this league;)

OH GREAT.....BROOKS who is a terminally dumb/unfundamental QB and JP who is completely unproven---thats a real Einsteinian solution to the Bills problems.-Oh yeah--and get rid of an excellent back up QB---they are not at all valuable in this league;)

558332[/snapback]

Excellent backup QB? You must have missed the Jet game. The 4-12 Jets made him look very silly and non-excellent. The Bills need to design an offense around JP's skills. Therefore they must find a veteran backup with a similar skill set. The square peg round hole path is not a good one to to follow.

I'm on board with cutting Holcomb loose. .... If we are going to have a QB controversy, bring in a real QB. Holcomb sucks.

558285[/snapback]

Ditto. Look what KH did to Tim Couch. Same damn situation is setting itself up here. Coincidence?

I could give a sh-- that KH will point to his 24/30 120 yards as a reason he should have a chance. He's a quiet, no-talent supplanter.

I also think the Bills should go after Jim Kelly for the role of QB coach for obvious reasons.

558282[/snapback]

What reasons would those be? That he ran the K-Gun?

Jim Kelly was a great player and leader for the Bills, but I seriously have doubts about him being a coach. Maybe he could do it, but he has no experience doing so and there's no evidence that says he could be a good one. Bringing him back would simply be a PR move.

Not to mention, I'd hate to see him not succeed. With no coaching experience, who's to say that the fans wouldn't turn on him if the offense isn't successful? There are plenty of qualified assistants out there right now that can install the K-Gun and work with the QB.

Let's please put the "let's get Jim Kelly as a coach" to bed.

:D

Holcomb = excellent backup?!

Fire up another bowl, dude, and hang with Ricky W.

558376[/snapback]

yes excellent BACK UP DUHHHH..i didnt say excellent QB..he is a very average QB.Show me the back ups in this league and tell me who is better than Holcomb...very few.

JP Losman.

558442[/snapback]

lol--good one....but JP is either a starter or a bust.Holcomb is a natural back-up--can come in and manage a game--and you arent completely screwed when your starter goes down.

I dont think Holcomb is a starter in this league---his wussy pass to Moulds was a prime example of that in the NE game

lol--good one....but JP is either a starter or a bust.Holcomb is a natural back-up--can come in and manage a game--and you arent completely screwed when your starter goes down.

I dont think Holcomb is a starter in this league---his wussy pass to Moulds was a prime example of that in the NE game

558447[/snapback]

Totally agree. Kelly Holcomb is a very good back-up, pretty much always was a back-up, played like a back-up, throws like a back-up, we brought him in to be a back-up, paid him like a back-up, paraded him out to the press as a back-up, and he bragged about being the back-up.

So we started him. And backed up.

558282[/snapback]

only 1 small problem

our OL is too dumb and slow to make it work

not mention that our TE has not played a single down in the NFL

or that our QB has enough trouble figuring out the basics

other than that- the plan is great :D

The plan is deeply flawed. You accomplish nothing by replacing Holcomb with a Brooks. If your goal is to make JP a backup, Brooks would be a worse starter than Holcomb. If your goal is to have JP not get supplanted by the veteran, Brooks would be worse, because he's more likely to show Flutie-like flashes without being able to back them up over the long haul. If your goal is to find a QB who will help JP learn, Brooks would be worse, because he'd view Losman as a competitor rather than a pupil.

Secondly, and more importantly, this plan doesn't adequately address the offensive line. You can't just throw together a few free agents and expect to have a top-ten line. Build the offensive line through the draft.

Secondly, and more importantly, this plan doesn't adequately address the offensive line. You can't just throw together a few free agents and expect to have a top-ten line. Build the offensive line through the draft.

558759[/snapback]

I agree with most of your post. However, the no-huddle, or K-Gun, the way the Bills ran it in the early 1990's may have masked an average offensive line. Before I get flamed, just think of some of the guys who ran that offense with Kelly...John Davis, Jim Ritcher, Howard Ballard were all serviceable guys, whose reputation benefitted from the no-huddle. I think that is why you see teams struggle for an entire game on offense, only to go to their two-minute offense, and drive the ball down the field. The "no huddle" can mask a lot of problems. But, you have to have the right guys to run it. As the roster stands now, the Bills don't have them. Don't forget, Jim Kelly called his own plays on the fly. Assuming JP Losman is the #1 QB next season, you can't put that much pressure on him. Kelly had two years of USFL experience in the run--shoot, and about 3 years of NFL experience before he was running the K-Gun.

As far as Holcomb goes, I continue to be amazed by how much abuse this guy takes from fans. Suppose for a minute, that everyones' wet dreams about JP Losman had come true, and it was obvious he was an NFL caliber QB right out of the box. If, then Losman had gotten hurt, and Holcomb had come in and played the way he did this year, I don't think people would have such a negative feeling toward him. He is not an amazing QB, but he is a more than adequate back-up. Don't be pissed at him, because Losman wasn't ready...Holcomb was far from the biggest problem with the Bills offense this past season...

558282[/snapback]

First of all you need a decent line for that. One that can also run block when it's called for. We have none of that.

Don't forget when Jim ran that offense, we had an All-Pro line. The Colts line now is pretty good too.

I agree with most of your post.  However, the no-huddle, or K-Gun, the way the Bills ran it in the early 1990's may have masked an average offensive line.  Before I get flamed, just think of some of the guys who ran that offense with Kelly...John Davis, Jim Ritcher, Howard Ballard were all serviceable guys, whose reputation benefitted from the no-huddle.  I think that is why you see teams struggle for an entire game on offense, only to go to their two-minute offense, and drive the ball down the field.  The "no huddle" can mask a lot of problems.  But, you have to have the right guys to run it.  As the roster stands now, the Bills don't have them. Don't forget, Jim Kelly called his own plays on the fly.  Assuming JP Losman is the #1 QB next season, you can't put that much pressure on him.  Kelly had two years of USFL experience in the run--shoot, and about 3 years of NFL experience before he was running the K-Gun.

As far as Holcomb goes, I continue to be amazed by how much abuse this guy takes from fans.  Suppose for a minute, that everyones' wet dreams about JP Losman had come true, and it was obvious he was an NFL caliber QB right out of the box.  If, then Losman had gotten hurt, and Holcomb had come in and played the way he did this year, I don't think people would have such a negative feeling toward him.  He is not an amazing QB, but he is a more than adequate back-up.  Don't be pissed at him, because Losman wasn't ready...Holcomb was far from the biggest problem with the Bills offense this past season...

558780[/snapback]

Completely agree RE Holcomb.The guy did a damn good job.Its ridiculous the pinhead criticism he has taken.

Well, we need a quarterback who can operate the k-gun, and I haven't seen anything in Losman yet that would indicate he has the brains for it. Further the team has to be operating from the same page, and I sure haven't seen that yet. Still further, since the K-gun doesn't use up a lot of time, I'd think we'd have to shore up our defensive line tremendously. That being said, I'm not ready to say that Losman definitely does not have the brains, that the offense (with some quality additions on the o-line) doesn't have the capacity for operating on the same page, or that with the mere addition of two great defensive linemen, might not be of the caliber to make it work. I don't think the k-gun would work next year...but maybe the year after.