Lenny P Tip Sheet

Rico

Sorry if already posted

One of the suggestions floated by Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson in his makeover of the Bills' management model this week was that veteran defensive back Troy Vincent perhaps have some role in the front office. Vincent is widely respected around the league as a voice of reason and, as president of the NFL Players Association, certainly has some administrative skills. But the idea, it seems, was shot down by several people, including coach Mike Mularkey. For openers, there is no sign that Vincent, still a productive player at age 34, plans to retire. More importantly, though, was the sense Vincent might not make the smoothest transition from rank-and-file to management. In his role as NFLPA president, Vincent understandably has a pro-player mind-set. There is some thought that in a few areas, like counseling teammates on contract negotiations and playing hurt, that stance had some effect on the Bills' locker room in 2005

It's a long shot but you can't fault a guy for trying. Agent Frank Murtha is phoning teams with head coach vacancies on behalf of client Bobby April, the Buffalo Bills' special teams coach and one of the best in the NFL at his craft. Typically, not a single special teams coach has been interviewed yet for any of the existing openings, nor have the names of any special teams coaches been connected to any of the jobs. But April has long felt special teams coaches merit consideration, in part because they are the only assistants on any franchise's staff who deal with virtually every player on the roster. April was chosen by his peers as the top special teams aide in the league in 2004 and his kicking units were exemplary again this season. April, 52, is a terrific communicator, a fiery guy and detail-oriented. But the truth of the matter is while owners and general managers spend a lot of time pontificating about the importance of special teams, they spend zero time considering the guys who run those units when head coach vacancies come up. April isn't the only special teams coach who merits a look but, the odds are, he'll be one of the legion who don't get one. There is, though, one bit of good news for April this week: In the staff shakeup that Bills coach Mike Mularkey has already begun, it appears there is a good chance April will add the title of assistant head coach to his business card.

Typically, not a single special teams coach has been interviewed yet for any of the existing openings, nor have the names of any special teams coaches been connected to any of the jobs. But April has long felt special teams coaches merit consideration, in part because they are the only assistants on any franchise's staff who deal with virtually every player on the roster.

557490[/snapback]

That was what Bill Cowher was--a special teams coach. He worked out all right for the Steelers for the last decade and a half.

There is some thought that in a few areas, like counseling teammates on contract negotiations and playing hurt, that stance had some effect on the Bills' locker room in 2005

557489[/snapback]

Wow - there's some mighty strong implications in that there sentence... :w00t:

There is some thought that in a few areas, like counseling teammates on contract negotiations and playing hurt, that stance had some effect on the Bills' locker room in 2005

557489[/snapback]

No one else thinks this insinuation is significant?

Vincent understandably has a pro-player mind-set. There is some thought that in a few areas, like counseling teammates on contract negotiations and playing hurt, that stance had some effect on the Bills' locker room in 2005

Part of what I feared about Vincent when we signed him. Vincent was never known as one to play through injuries especially the last few years he has missed time. His standing in the NFLPA, and being a leader on this team thats bound to trickle down to the players with that lax attitude. If you're hurt and feel you can't go then don't go. While I like that vincent is a character guy this team needs leaders that will push their teammates to the limits, not take it easy, and everything will be ok.

No one else thinks this insinuation is significant?

557626[/snapback]

I also read this comment and raised an eyebrow, Steve. The insinuation there is pretty strong. Vincent is another example of a TD move that I thought was good at the time but just didn't work out. If, as a strong proponent of players, he had a hand in some lockerroom discord between MM and the players, thats just $hitty.

RTB

Wow - there's some mighty strong implications in that there sentence... :w00t:

557506[/snapback]

Yeah...by adding the fancy title it makes it next to impossible for another team to steal BA away without offering him a head coaching gig, which won't be happening. The Bills are, in essence, locking up the best ST coach in the league...and rightly so.

Anybody who recorded games this season, watch Troy in particular. Several things will be evident if I'm Troy Vincent:

(1) If you've tackled the guy, I won't jump on the pile.

(2) If you cross through my zone, I will have trouble keeping up with you.

(3) If you're an oversize RB, I won't be able to bring you down.

We will be in trouble with the big TE's, 4-wides, big RB's, and zone coverages if Troy is our guy on the field next year.

I think he'd be lax as a backfield coach, and preoccupied with his own enterprises if he were in the office.

Just Say No.