Bickering Bills

Billzfan23

Let's hand it to them, they won even though they were the "Bickering Bills" of the early 90's. Can anyone who really knew those teams inside and out comment on how the "Bickering Bills" were different from the players that the Bills have now (minus the wins)? The point is, I don't think the teams back then were necessarily more talented than the current bills , just less dysfunctional, and they played better as a team. We have some serious issues here, with the Eric Moulds, Sam Adams, Willis McGahee "number 1" comments in inner-team issues. But didn't the Bills of the 90's have those same problems? What was it about the early 90's Bills that allowed them to have a defense that was very poor statistically (but had some playmakers) yet still they knew how to win? Can Marv really see those issues and make changes? Isn't the person that is going to witness them first-hand (Mularkey) already proving that he is ill-prepared to handle the coaching duties?

Let's hand it to them, they won even though they were the "Bickering Bills" of the early 90's.  Can anyone who really knew those teams inside and out comment on how the "Bickering Bills" were different from the players that the Bills have now (minus the wins)?  The point is, I don't think the teams back then were necessarily more talented than the current bills , just less dysfunctional, and they played better as a team.  We have some serious issues here, with the Eric Moulds, Sam Adams, Willis McGahee "number 1" comments in inner-team issues.  But didn't the Bills of the 90's have those same problems?  What was it about the early 90's Bills that allowed them to have a defense that was very poor statistically (but had some playmakers) yet still they knew how to win? Can Marv really see those issues and make changes?  Isn't the person that is going to witness them first-hand (Mularkey) already proving that he is ill-prepared to handle the coaching duties?

557445[/snapback]

If you think today's Bills had as much talent as the team in the 90's, then you better go pack another one in your bong and take a long hit. This years Bills team finished 26th in offense and 29th in defense. They lost to the SAints and RAiders for God's sake. Look at the Hall of Famers you had on the Bills team in the 1990's. Heck, the Bills backups back then could probably start for the Bills team of 2005. They have no offensive line!!!! They have no pass rush!!!! They have a harder time getting the ball past the 50-yard line than most teams have putting it into the end zone. Your team is pretty bad when your best player is the punter and kick-returner. You need to drive out of your little Buffalo World and quit listening to 550 on the radio, and get realistic!!!! :w00t:

I don't think the teams back then were necessarily more talented than the current bills

:w00t::w00t:<_<

Kelly, Thomas, Smith, Reed, Hull, Tasker etc. etc. - that's a LOT of jocks that can't be carried by this crew.

I think the "Bickering Bills" thing was way overdone and ultimately was a media creation. It was more strong personalities - who most importantly ultimately respected each other - than a bunch of jerks who disliked and disrespected each other. The most famous "Bickering Bills" moment was when Thomas "dissed" Kelly - if you've ever seen it I actually never thought it was malicious at all - it was almost just a jab at him. The difference was all those guys really respected the hell out of each other deep down (and earned and were deserving of respect) independent of any sound bites the media picked up. Like brothers they had some differences every once in a while but at the end of the day, on the field, when and where it mattered, they fought for each other.

I don't think the teams back then were necessarily more talented than the current bills, just less dysfunctional, and they played better as a team. 

557445[/snapback]

Gotta disagree. The pre-SB teams were a lot more talented.

And the bickering part was way overblown, IMO. Thuman got credit for starting a lot of it by his comment on "the QB," but I don't think any of that stuff ever affected how he, Kelly or any of the other guys played on the field together.

The difference was all those guys really respected the hell out of ach other deep down (and earned and were deserving of respect).

557461[/snapback]

Bingo. Remember all those screaming matches between Jimbo and Andre on the sidelines? Those two got along fine, it wasn't a T.O-McNabb thing. It was two guys who wanted to win and knew that the other wanted the same thing. That's what those Bills were all about.

Let's hand it to them, they won even though they were the "Bickering Bills" of the early 90's.  Can anyone who really knew those teams inside and out comment on how the "Bickering Bills" were different from the players that the Bills have now (minus the wins)?  The point is, I don't think the teams back then were necessarily more talented than the current bills , just less dysfunctional, and they played better as a team.  We have some serious issues here, with the Eric Moulds, Sam Adams, Willis McGahee "number 1" comments in inner-team issues.  But didn't the Bills of the 90's have those same problems?  What was it about the early 90's Bills that allowed them to have a defense that was very poor statistically (but had some playmakers) yet still they knew how to win? Can Marv really see those issues and make changes?  Isn't the person that is going to witness them first-hand (Mularkey) already proving that he is ill-prepared to handle the coaching duties?

557445[/snapback]

Well, let's see?

QB-- 1990s by far

RB-- 1990s by far due to pass blocking and pass receiving of the RB, the fulllback and the back-ups

WR--this surprisingly may be pretty even. I would love to see Moulds, Evans, Reed and Parrish playing with Kelly and an OL, but you'd still probably have to lean toward the 1990s.

TE--1990s

OL--not even to be discussed.

DL--Bruce Smith and Phil Hansen?

LB--Close but still go with Biscuit and Talley

DBs--This is the only position I would want 2005-6 version.

ST--now is better.

So, was the 1990s verison better? Yes, everywhere except special teams and possibly but not surely, the DBs.

Bingo.  Remember all those screaming matches between Jimbo and Andre on the sidelines?  Those two got along fine, it wasn't a T.O-McNabb thing.  It was two guys who wanted to win and knew that the other wanted the same thing.  That's what those Bills were all about.

557487[/snapback]

The cynic in me can't help but think that Marv's hiring is nothing more than playing off the past, but I hope he can bring a similar mindset to the current team.

JPL = JK

WM = TT

EM = AR  (maybe????)

AS = BS

TT = KH

JS = ST

Ummm..  other then the one mentioned the others are 3 tier scrubs in comparison.

557468[/snapback]

Moulds is nothing compared to Anre Reed, Schobel is no Bruce, and Stamer is no Tasker

557445[/snapback]

only our QB offensive and defensive lines were more talented.Other than that the talent was equal.:D

:D  :P  :angry:

Kelly, Thomas, Smith, Reed, Hull, Tasker etc. etc. - that's a LOT of jocks that can't be carried by this crew.

I think the "Bickering Bills" thing was way overdone and ultimately was a media creation.  It was more strong personalities - who most importantly ultimately respected each other - than a bunch of jerks who disliked and disrespected each other.  The most famous "Bickering Bills" moment was when Thomas "dissed" Kelly - if you've ever seen it I actually never thought it was malicious at all - it was almost just a jab at him.  The difference was all those guys really respected the hell out of each other deep down (and earned and were deserving of respect) independent of any sound bites the media picked up.  Like brothers they had some differences every once in a while but at the end of the day, on the field,  when and where it mattered, they fought for each other.

557461[/snapback]

the "bickering bills" reference refers only to the '89 season, in which the abovementioned remark was made. things were not going well for the team and there was definitely some tension in the locker room. after thurman mouthed off on some talk show about kelly having too high an opinion of himself, it blew up in the media.

thankfully marv had the people-skills to get everyone back together, and the bills squeaked into the playoffs. they were so done bickering by the time the playoffs started that i still remember them practically holding hands and singing kumbaya on the sidelines in cleveland. then ronnie harmon dropped an easy touchdown and we got beat. that sucked of course, but then we started winning, so by the 90s, they were no longer "the bickering bills."